Lt. Commander
I'm brand new, leveled-up to 8, so of course I'm an expert now and ready to post! :-)

More seriously, I've read a number of posts complaining about ground combat issues, a number vague posts complaining about ground combat in general, and I've also read that Cryptic is working on a large ground combat update scheduled for this summer-ish.

The thing that's struck me is that I generally like the core systems in place. I find that I have a lot of neat options, like aim, melee combat, rolling, and so on. I've just started running into deployable equipment (gorn mortars), so I assume that's coming for me next, and if so way cool.

In my opinion, all that's really needed is a coat of polish on the base system, along with a lot of systematic fixes to missions and bugs. So the starbase 24 ground map should be lengthened a bit so the spawns are farther apart. Other maps maybe could be toned in a similar fashion, either slowing down patrols or again lengthening the map.

The controls for BOffs could be polished a bit - I would suggest a default mapping to the keypad, or something along those lines. Maybe just a tutorial is needed - guild wars had one to teach you how to control heroes, maybe something along those lines.

Melee combat needs a tutorial, and maybe a bit of feedback regarding combos to make it easier to learn them. It's fun, useful, and everybody can do it...it just needs a better in-game explanation so that we don't have to search the forums for guides. In particular, just a list of combos in-game, with a warning not to spam, would really help.

I won't comment on the bugs and over-powered NPCs, other than to say I've read about a bunch, and I don't see why they can't be targeted one by one and fixed.

Anyways, over all I like ground combat, it just feels like it needs more polish.

-Jeff
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaif View Post
Anyways, over all I like ground combat, it just feels like it needs more polish.
Despite all the QQ over ground, there are well known formulas to make it doable and fun, as well as laughably easy. And on the whole the train of "kill five mobs" encounters is no more boring or uninsipired than the endless stream of "kill five ships" that makes up 99% of space. If anything, ground admits of a lot wider variety of possible setups and tactics, despite the narrower skill tree, so I've always found it a lot more interesting to play with different setups on the ground. Even in the most recent featured episodes, the space combat is just more of the same, and they've done a lot more weird and novel stuff with the ground sections.

I'd agree that Cryptic would probably get a lot more mileage in terms of real, actual improvement by just plowing through the long list of annoying, well known, and long standing one-off bugs and design misfires that plague many encounters. I'm sure Cryptic will "fix" some stuff that isn't broken in the ground revamp, and leave some stuff that's been broken forever still broken. But in the end it will probably amount to a lot less change than most people imagine. Ground will still be fun and easy if you put some thought (and SP!) into it. And some people will still QQ about it nonstop anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Ground combat, for me, is the worst of both worlds.

1) It's laughably easy, in that there's rarely any actual danger to a well-designed away team.

2) It's frustratingly long at higher levels, in that the amount of damage per shot you do is fairly small.

So it seems like I'm waiting forever for the foregone conclusion. I -hate- ground combat with a passion. Why do these phasers/disruptors/energy whatzit guns do so little damage? Just seems the point is to stretch things out so their missions are more of a timesink.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
At first i used to hate it. Not so much anymore. It takes some time to figure out whats going to work for you. Its all about how you plan to play it. With the right Bof setup and kit. You will blow through ground missions even the borg ones. It took me rank Admiral to figure it out for my playstyle. Your bof setup is the key with ground combat. Heck i'm seeing alot of crits in my ground combat now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwrk View Post
Ground combat, for me, is the worst of both worlds.

1) It's laughably easy, in that there's rarely any actual danger to a well-designed away team.

2) It's frustratingly long at higher levels, in that the amount of damage per shot you do is fairly small.

So it seems like I'm waiting forever for the foregone conclusion. I -hate- ground combat with a passion. Why do these phasers/disruptors/energy whatzit guns do so little damage? Just seems the point is to stretch things out so their missions are more of a timesink.
I am EXACTLY of this frame of mind.

I'm at the point where I'm simply beaming out of my missions when it comes to ground combat because of how bloody long the mission takes, especially if the enemy has any medics (heaven forbid they have 2+).

Kill 5 groups of (humanoids) vs kill 5 battlegroups of ships? I'll take ship combat any day. They're not the same for me at all, and I enjoy space combat both solo and with groups. At the very least I feel I'm making progress!