Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Now that Snix has left there is no one left at Cryptic with even a semblance of how PvP works. Snix had a basic understanding of PvP because he had a basic like for it, even went out and did it here and there, but he was no PvPer.

There's no better solution to PvP balance to have someone in charge of that balance that "gets it", just throwing someone into the position who has no or little interest in PvP is only going lead balance mistakes that are obvious to rest us.

So I would like to humbly suggest that you look at the PvP community for filling Snix's spot. Waive the typical "2 years of experience" and other roadblocks, and take into account that many PvPers have over one year of experience with THIS game, and understand it's balance and mechanics better than anyone you could possibly hire.

A few names come to mind for people who would make excellent candidates, not only for their experience and knowledge, but due their diplomacy (aka. to the best of my knowledge they have not made assess of themselves on the forum, which is why I'm not listing myself )

BigRedJedi,
SteveHale,
Iceroid,
Aytanhi,
Zorena

and probably quite a few more. So my question is, would you be willing to give these player's a chance? Give them special consideration for their wealth of knowledge even if they don't exactly meet the requirements for employment you have listed? I can guarantee you, nothing would make us happier. No other hire would be able to do as good of a job with balance, and it would be a giant weight off of all our shoulders.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Agreed.

It really would help a great deal, if some kind of oversight was working at Cryptic that actually understands the implementations behind the game design.

I've always been a strong proponent for at least some devs on a game's design team to actually immerse themselves heavily into the competitive elements of a given game. It, also would help bring Respect to both sides of the table.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2011, 10:04 PM
No way, terrible idea. They are just players. No player should be involved in any way, shape, or form, with the development of the game unless they have met said job requirements, degree, experience, etc. Just because you PVP alot does not a expert on game design make. I also think it would raise some ethical issues if a player or players active in pvp fleets were in charge of pvp design and especially balance . We don't all agree on the way pvp should work in this game to begin with, this would just make it worse.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-18-2011, 10:46 PM
What ashgrey said.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-18-2011, 11:07 PM
I agree with Ash as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrey77 View Post
No way, terrible idea. They are just players. No player should be involved in any way, shape, or form, with the development of the game unless they have met said job requirements, degree, experience, etc. Just because you PVP alot does not a expert on game design make. I also think it would raise some ethical issues if a player or players active in pvp fleets were in charge of pvp design and especially balance . We don't all agree on the way pvp should work in this game to begin with, this would just make it worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagles View Post
What ashgrey said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I agree with Ash as well.
Yup. It is not a good idea.

Of course, any PvP is free to look at the several open positions at Cryptic and send in his resumé . If he is qualified for the job - and winning PvP matches 15-0 really is no qualifaction for a game designer or a software developer - he might get hired.

What I'd suggest for Cryptic devs to keep playing their game and not forgetting to also PvP occassionally. I invite Chaddington and CaptainGeko particularly into such endeavours, as they seem to be responsible for power and ship design these days, and really need to look at how they work in practive in all areas. STFs, Fleet Actions, Episodes and PvP.

Activities like shuttle_ wars can be used to ease your way in the feel of the game, but as Wishstone says - the presence of a dev always changes the tone of things, so in-cognito PvPing might be required as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2011, 01:27 AM
I have to agree with the disagree crowd (). Giving someone a job just because he is a PvPer makes no sense for Cryptic as a company.

But what I would like to see is if once a month someone from Cryptic would invite a couple of PvPers to a balance talk asking them what they think of upcoming changes.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2011, 02:13 AM
You know, the last time there was talk about some kind of "Gamer's council", it didn't go over so well. Paired with the fact that some PvEers think that PvPers are ruining their game already, that's probably not a good idea, either. And the conflict of interests also exists once members of PvP fleets would become members, possibly even causing dissent in the PvP community itself as well.

I guess it all comes down to more visible communication and activity from Cryptic. Keep us more in the loop (and have a loop to report about!). Avoid introducing stuff that hasn't been gone through a balance pass on the Tribble servers, or at least gone through some heavy internal thinking and reflecting aboutt the current PvP issues.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Listening to experienced players does not necessitate having them on the payroll!

I'd rather see volunteers join a Cryptic run committee.

No salary, perhaps a niche forum title, or for exceptional service perhaps a cameo in game, a statue etc.

Has been done well (and badly!) in several other games.

Just my 2 energy credits
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2011, 02:25 AM
LOL

10 char