Lt. Commander
Hey Foundry authors! I have submitted some exciting new objects for a future Foundry build and decided to create a video tutorial showcasing the new Holodeck objects and effects that will be added in the coming weeks.

Please remember that these objects are not yet in the current build, but you all can hit the ground running when they are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0m3XXr9A8
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Might I be the first to say SWEEEEET.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Very nice.

There are some problems I can see with your method of triggering the holodeck. Among other things, you could conceivably lock yourself or other players out of the holodeck grid.

(This is one reason why it would be nice for an "all players interact" trigger/objective. Or maybe a teleport option to ensure everyone winds up in the right place after the trigger is hit.)

For style's sake, I'd advise against allowing someone to trigger the end program from anywhere on the holodeck.

Oh... and if you want to get spiffy with it, maybe have objects appear within the bounds of the grid when the program loads. Just need to make sure that those areas are set off by invisible walls beforehand.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2011, 03:31 PM
You. Are. Awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Seeing the holodeck fade in/out definitely looks awesome. However, dont you have to be within the area of the holodeck placement to have it fade back in and you be inside it? Like, you couldnt run to the edge of your planetary map and then "end program" and be in the holodeck area as it fades back in, could you?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes, that is a good point, what if you are standing elsewhere when "Ending the program"
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firix
Yes, that is a good point, what if you are standing elsewhere when "Ending the program"
The more I think about it, the more I think we need "jump to" mechanics for these kinds of things.

The best way I can picture this working, looking at different kinds of functionality, is to have a block that can be placed. Anyone outside that block is transported to the center of it. Anyone in the block is unaffected. I think this is pretty necessary for multiplayer functionality with terrain that can be altered.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
Hey Foundry authors! I have submitted some exciting new objects for a future Foundry build and decided to create a video tutorial showcasing the new Holodeck objects and effects that will be added in the coming weeks.

Please remember that these objects are not yet in the current build, but you all can hit the ground running when they are

Now this is pretty sweet. Is there anything designed to go along with this, such as a clothing override so we could make our users appear in say, original serires uniforms for an early 23rd century holodeck sim? Or to make them appear as historical characters etc? Even talking months and months down the line.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post

Will we be getting a holodeck access point in our ship interiors along with this?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Will we be getting a holodeck access point in our ship interiors along with this?
Until the maps for our ship interiors are added to the Foundry, that wouldnt really make a difference :p