Lt. Commander
# 21
03-20-2011, 01:30 AM
this looks sweet.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Very cool effect
The only thing that I can see that would affect "immersion" is the minimap.
With the holodeck faded in you should only see the holodeck on the minimap.
When the holodeck fades out it should disappear completely from the minimap.
Same goes for holodeck arches when they become invisible/appear.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-20-2011, 01:59 AM
so epiclly cool
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-20-2011, 02:04 AM
That's pretty cool. Is there any way to add other environmental effects such as star streaks from windows? Would make it possible to have interludes on a ship interior while that ship is supposedly enroute to another location.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
This is correct. You can make the holodeck object appear anywhere you like... my example just happens to use both effects in the same spot because it was faster/easier to set up. It uses triggers so there are many possible ways to trigger the effects.

Teleporting the player to different locations on the map would definitely be nice and probably possible since we use it in Cryptic missions, but there might be a short loading screen in between transfers. I'll see if this is on our wish list.

I also added the stand-alone holodeck arch object too, so if you don't want to use the gridded room there's another option. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure we have a Voyager style holodeck room as well... so who knows what other surprises will show up soon
Map, I was thinking about this earlier int ehe day, so I'm glad you revealed it so I could ask you..

One of the awesome things about the arch is that you can see the ship corridors through the doorways, but when you walk around it while the program is still running, you don't see any corridor. I'm wondering: how could we achieve such an effect?

Is it possible to create a an arch object that would be a fully built arch + ship corridor, but simply not texture the ship corridor from the exterior? So we could in effect "see through" the corridor as an objject from the ouside, but when we look at it through the arch or walk through the arch, we see the interior texturing of the corridor? That would be a radical effect.

The only downside I see is that I don't think there is a way to say "these walls have collision only when you're inside the object", so if such an object were possible, we would HAVE to be walking into an invisible wall if we tried to walk around an arch with the exit turned on.

.... Are you following me? Or am I crazy? Is any of this possible?
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Havraha, what you describe sounds like the arch from City on the Edge of Forever mission? It shows scenes through the arch that aren't there, I would think maybe that tech could be adapted to do an arch that just shows a scene of a ship corridor through the arch?
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure we have a Voyager style holodeck room as well... so who knows what other surprises will show up soon
Now give me the ability to (client-side) replace all TNG holodeck textures with Voyager holodeck textures, and I will love you forever.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-20-2011, 09:59 AM
It occurs to me, after reading the above comment, I'd really, really like it if they turned all bridge viewscreens into a window and let us play around to create scenes on the viewscreen. Just a boxed in area we could play around and create scenes or props.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Also, while I like this, unless that holodeck door opens, we can't hook this up to interiors, which would help ad to the illusion.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
Is it possible to create a an arch object that would be a fully built arch + ship corridor, but simply not texture the ship corridor from the exterior? So we could in effect "see through" the corridor as an objject from the ouside, but when we look at it through the arch or walk through the arch, we see the interior texturing of the corridor? That would be a radical effect.
This would be a triumph.