Lt. Commander
# 1 The ultimate question
03-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Advance warning: This post probably does not include the ultimate question and certainly not the ultimate answer.

There has been (and still is) much discontent about the development (or lack thereof) of pvp. In my opinion one of the main problems is that there is an uncertainty whether Cryptic actually cares about pvp and intends to improve it eventually. So there is a definite need for an answer from Cryptic that gives us more clarity than the usual "we want it to be awesome and we are thinking about new fun ways to improve your experience" which sounds a bit like "please keep paying".

But before there can be an answer, there has to be a question, And this is the purpose of this thread, finding this question:

What is the ultimate (short) question for Cryptic regarding Space PVP?

(Sorry ground folks, as much as I love ground pvp, I don't want to hear "season 4 ground revamp" as an answer to a pvp question.)

The question has to be short. I'd say 1-2 sentences maximum and the sentences themselves should be reasonably short. No involved proposals with a "what do you think about it?".

Here is my take:

Which additions to space pvp - that are not bugfixes or balance changes - are we going to see in the next 3 months?

Is this a good question? Do you have a better one?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2011, 04:17 AM
That is a good question, IMO. It's relatively open. I mind add "new ships" on the forbidden list. It's kinda new content for PvP a well, but it's not really what we are looking for.

We could also ask a leading question, e.g. give specifics of what we might want:

"Will we see new PvP maps and modes, a tournament system, a player ranking system or Open Pvp/Territory Control within the next 3 months, or within the next 6 months?"

"What can the PvP community specifically (e.g nothing that also majorly affects non PvP players) look forward to in the next 3 months?"
Lt. Commander
What Cryptic has said already is that they want to implement PvP leaderboards and there will be major PvP features added in Season 5, which I'd think would include open space PvP area and some new types of gameplay (something like a roaming king of the hill). There will be additional PvP maps added in the short-term, like The Vault, which would make for some fun shuttle-only battles.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2011, 05:10 AM
PhyrexianHero has a valid point. There have been statements by Cryptic that they intend to add things to pvp and even things that a lot of pvp players actually want. Since we have never had any new space pvp content, it is impossible to extrapolate the time Cryptic will take to implement these things though (or even if it is more than mere words to calm us).

So, does the ultimate question necessarily have to involve a "within the next x months" to be of any use? Or is there a different type of question that could have a useful answer?

And I like Mustrum's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
"What can the PvP community specifically (e.g nothing that also majorly affects non PvP players) look forward to in the next 3 months?"
(Maybe we should colour all proposed questions to make them more visible among the meta-discussion?)
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrexianHero
What Cryptic has said already is that they want to implement PvP leaderboards and there will be major PvP features added in Season 5, which I'd think would include open space PvP area and some new types of gameplay (something like a roaming king of the hill). There will be additional PvP maps added in the short-term, like The Vault, which would make for some fun shuttle-only battles.
There will be more maps in season 5? Why have I not heard this anywhere else?
Could you possibly provide a link to where you heard that?, because it might calm a whole lot of people down.
(myself included)
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2011, 06:32 AM
The question should be within the next two months, because I have a feeling there wont be many people around after that. PVP has taken a noticeable hit in the last month already.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2011, 06:40 AM
When will we have a chat channel for each PvP team when the match size is large enough to have multiple groups on each team?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Will we see anything added to PvP in the short term (say, 2 months), not including new ships?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Indeed a hard time line would be best. I have managed enough people/projects that I can tell you and we all know with out a hard time frame too hold too... well there really is no accountability. I find it hard that with all the excellent pve maps and great game enhancements they have put forth at this point; that a couple simple pvp maps are that challenging. STO has a great team of developers as small as they are, I have no doubt that commitment is all that is needed. With even 2 new maps the PvP uptake in this game would improve. I have a feeling such a small improvement would prove to our Dev Team just how loved the PvP side of this game is.......... Yes they are OUR Dev team. It is their game to Develop as they see fit, I do hope that they see our interests are the same. We are not asking for a uniform to be added from TNG Traveler episode cause I want it an no one else does. We are asking for some changes that 100s of there paying customers would like to see... and I have no doubt 1000s of their customers will at some point down the road appreciate.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-20-2011, 11:02 PM
How many subs do you think you would lose if you neglected new off-duty costumes and sitting in chairs as much as you do PvP? :p

Seriously though, any plans for new space maps?
Closed Thread