Lt. Commander
# 1 The Truth About Klingons
03-20-2011, 05:54 AM
One of the biggest things I see in game is a lack of understanding about just who are the Klingons as a people?

What makes them tick? ... Who are they?

This thread is for Klingon players (and fans of Klingons) to talk about who they are as a people.

My hope is that it will help foster understanding of the culture behind these great people as well as help us flesh out our Klingon persona for game play.

Let me begin by saying that I am currently reading "The Klingon Way" and want to quote the following from its back cover:

Quote:
"For many years, Klingons have been the premier warriors in the galaxy. Regarded across known space with fear and awe, few beings understand the true depth and greatness of the Klingon Empire."
Also, sharing quotes and other bits and pieces you find as examples from books, shows, and other sources is encouraged.

So let us begin as .... "We are KLINGONS!"

My one real request is that we remain on topic, not use this as a stage to champion Klingon content or to begin a cultural war.

Ie. ... Please speak with honor and respect at all times.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Quote:
From Wikipedia ---
Klingons (Klingon: tlhIngan, pronounced [ˈt͡ɬɪŋɑn]) are a fictional warrior race in the Star Trek universe. They are recurring villains in the 1960s television show Star Trek: The Original Series, and have appeared in all five spin-off series and eight feature films. Initially intended to be antagonists for the crew of the USS Enterprise, the Klingons ended up a close ally of humanity and the United Federation of Planets in later television series.
As originally developed by screenwriter Gene L. Coon, Klingons were darkly colored humanoids with little honor, intended as an allegory to the then-current Cold War tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union, though Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry did not aspire to any political parallels. With a greatly expanded budget for makeup and effects, the Klingons were completely redesigned in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979), gaining ridged foreheads that created a continuity error not explained by canon until 2005. In later films and the spin-off series Star Trek: The Next Generation, the militaristic traits of the Klingons were bolstered by an increased sense of honor and strict warrior code.
Among the elements created for the revised Klingons was a complete language, developed by Marc Okrand off gibberish suggested by actor James Doohan. Klingon has entered popular culture; the works of William Shakespeare and even parts of the Bible have been translated into the guttural language. A dictionary, a book of sayings, and a cultural guide to the language have been published. In addition, according to Guinness World Records, Klingon is the most popular fictional language by number of speakers.

Original and complete article located here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingons
I have for one reason or another identified with Klingons for some time now ... not so much as they were originally created so much as how they evolved over the latter Star Trek series.

They because a race that in its origins (as far as story goes) were originally driven towards walking their path through life without fear in as honorable a fashion as possible.

For me ... Whenever I think of Klingons, I think of the Vikings and Celts.

I think of the earlier tribes of Europe and lets face it ... many of us of European heritage are descended from tribes who walked a warrior's path.

But just because you are a warrior does not mean you have to walk a path of simple death and destruction.

For the Klingon people, honor *was* and *is* a way of life.

It is so much more than a word spoken and easily forgotten as they lived it even as they walked the good road with firm steps that were strengthened by spirit and heart.

If you followed the Star Trek series (especially The Next Generation and Deep Space 9) you are familiar with the character Worf -- a Klingon orphan who was raised by humans and joined Starfleet.

He held within his heart an image of what a true Klingon warrior should be and he held himself to that standard ... walking a path in story that tried to honor that standard.

What I see the Klingons as being are a race where many of their kind had stepped away from the path and become somewhat lost for a time --- one of the reasons I see the Empire as being divided and something supported by the Klingon fiction books I've read.

Also a reason the cloned Emperor Kahless was created.

If they find their way back to the path of honor, they are more in balance with all that surrounds them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2011, 06:40 AM
What kind of sources would be alright for this discussion?

I ask because we had a different discussion a few months back where we used the IKS Gorkon novels and also some comics as important sources.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=190700
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2011, 07:02 AM
NOTE ... I should have searched the forum first before posting ... so pointing everyone to the following thread .... http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=190700

I recommend this thread be closed and people continue discussions there to keep it from getting fragmented.

Thanks to Mister Dee for pointing me in the right direction.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2011, 07:04 AM
Anyhow, I am no Klingon fan at all and I don't want to spam here. But maybe my thoughts about this race and the trouble they make, are not so wrong after all.

Why are Klingons so aggressive?
- Because it is in their nature.

Are all Klingons living by their code of honor?
- Yes, but the interpretation is a 3 bladed sword. "The truth, the reality, and the personal interpretation“. So, don't be shocked, when a Klingon stabs you from behind.

Are those the good guys? / Have they good intentions?
- Yes. Mostly. In their major agenda is to control and defend their reign. The problem with this is, there is no real definition in that. Klingons see almost everything as their reign. And they mostly act very extreme in any kind.

What's the problem then with this?
- Klingons do what they think it's right and not reason or think it trough. If they are not welcomed, they'll "help" anyway if you want it or not.

Why do Klingons and Federation hardly come along?
- There are some major displaces. First the diplomacy of the Federation, where Klingons are treated like humans. "Let's talk!" it's almost an insult if the sides aren't cleared out for the Klingons. Second, both factions are expandatoryal. The Federation did it by collaboration and unity, the Klingons by force and subjugation. Sadly both systems seem to work.

Why do Klingons got often along with the Federation?
- They are raging mad men, but they are at some point reasonable. As long as the Federation is helping them, or they have "better things" to do, they see no reason to fight the Federation.

Why do the Klingons fight the Federation?
- There are some major reasons. First it is the next bigger neighbor faction. That is mostly even enough. Second, the Federation is always being so awful selfless, and Klingons think the Fed do this to get control over other races. Third, Klingons are proud, and the Federation helped the Klingon Empire so often by now, they are simply jealous (Klingons are pretty jealous, no reason to deny it. It is part of their heritage and nature. To be the best, you have to have someone to fight, someone to be jealous at.)

-------------------
I hope this could be understandable, reasonable thoughts and not be seen as a try to show my antipathy against the Klingons. ...Really I don't like them, and I don't make a big deal about it. But never the less I understand them.
Hopefully Klingon players will at least think about my theories about the Klingons and would see more of a Klingons as the glorified Worf Klingon. Sadly there are very, very few Klingons who think that way. Being a Klingon is really complex. They are not only space bullies and warmongers. To play or to fight one (inplay) it is important to know this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonseye View Post
NOTE ... I should have searched the forum first before posting ... so pointing everyone to the following thread .... http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=190700

I recommend this thread be closed and people continue discussions there to keep it from getting fragmented.

Thanks to Mister Dee for pointing me in the right direction.
Better not do that, you know how the MODS feel about resurrecting old threads....
I'd rather propose to carry over important data from that thread over here.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Better not do that, you know how the MODS feel about resurrecting old threads....
I'd rather propose to carry over important data from that thread over here.
I can't win for losing .... Oh well ... Let the discussions continue!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macumba
Anyhow, I am no Klingon fan at all and I don't want to spam here. But maybe my thoughts about this race and the trouble they make, are not so wrong after all.

Why are Klingons so aggressive?
- Because it is in their nature.

---snip---

-------------------
I hope this could be understandable, reasonable thoughts and not be seen as a try to show my antipathy against the Klingons. ...Really I don't like them, and I don't make a big deal about it. But never the less I understand them.
Hopefully Klingon players will at least think about my theories about the Klingons and would see more of a Klingons as the glorified Worf Klingon. Sadly there are very, very few Klingons who think that way. Being a Klingon is really complex. They are not only space bullies and warmongers. To play or to fight one (inplay) it is important to know this.
I respect your comments but have to disagree on most of your points.

Klingons are from a warrior culture ... and they are passionate.

For how many years were the American Indians viewed as savages? ...Truth is that outsiders misjudged them and never really got to know them as a people ... got to know them as a culture.

Klingons are much the same and can be just as misunderstood.

Klingons are also a fictional race whose culture has been embraced by a number of people in the real world .... After all, how many fictional races have inspired their own languages? ,,, There own martial arts styles?

Their own literature?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
When I think of Klingons (Being one of my favorite science fiction races of all time) I tend to think of them as a hybrid of old world Samurai, and Vikings.

Some traits I find most prominent in Klingon society are:
honor, dignity, personal responsibility to ones house and family, strength, pursuit of challenges, passion, pride, brave...

Now just as with any society, there are variations and exceptions. Not every Klingon is as Rigid or Stoic as Worf, nor is every Klingon as deceitful and power hungry as the Duras Sisters. Klingons have a varied and wide range of emotions and personas.

Personally when I think of a 'Klingons' Klingon... I find Martok to be everything a Klingon SHOULD be. Worf is a great example too, but he has spent too much time with the HU-mans... forcing him to restrain his passionate warrior self for too long.

When I play as a Klingon, I try to embody the 'ideal' Klingon... although that doesn't mean I am not tempted to dabble in a little more 'Chang-ish' pursuits. Quoting Shakespear in it's original Klingon as I soar headlong into battle!!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonseye View Post
Klingons are also a fictional race whose culture has been embraced by a number of people in the real world .... After all, how many fictional races have inspired their own languages? ,,, There own martial arts styles?

Their own literature?
Not to play the devils advocate here but...

Just in LotR lore... your talking Dwarves and Elves have their own complete language, poetry, and if you count rediculous archery skills a martial art... then there you have it! LOL

...But you are right. Klingons do seem to be the MOST recognized sci-fi people. Even my wife (Who has NEVER watched an episode of Startrek) once said to me "Q'pla".

I said "Wha...?"
She said, "That's what Klingons say... right? 'Q'pla'?"
I said "Uhh... yeah, how did you know that?"
She said "Doesn't -everyone- know that?"

LOL