Lt. Commander
# 1 STO March Madness anyone?
03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, now that theres nothing new for a while, what about a STO PvP Tourney? Im all the way up to Captain now and have NEVER PvP'd yet What about Brackets for each rank? Ensigns vs Ensigns, Captains vs Captains, etc. ? I dont have time to set up the brackets, but Im sure someone here would love to host the brackets.

Do we want bracket teams instead of 1 vs 1? 5 on 5, but all must be same rank when tourney starts? Maybe Fleet vs Fleet, but teams from Fleets have to be same rank? What do you all think? Ive lost a lot of wind in my sails since I grinded up to Captain so quick, having just got the game late Dec, and I want a new challenge to get excited about during this feature episode lull.

Discuss
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Well, now that theres nothing new for a while, what about a STO PvP Tourney? Im all the way up to Captain now and have NEVER PvP'd yet What about Brackets for each rank? Ensigns vs Ensigns, Captains vs Captains, etc. ? I dont have time to set up the brackets, but Im sure someone here would love to host the brackets.

Do we want bracket teams instead of 1 vs 1? 5 on 5, but all must be same rank when tourney starts? Maybe Fleet vs Fleet, but teams from Fleets have to be same rank? What do you all think? Ive lost a lot of wind in my sails since I grinded up to Captain so quick, having just got the game late Dec, and I want a new challenge to get excited about during this feature episode lull.

Discuss
for any pvp tournament to work, it would have to exclusively consist of Vice Admirals. unfortunately, recent game developments (cough cough spam cloaked tractor mines) have driven off a lot of the pvp players. There were never enough players to have full tournaments at anything below Vice Admiral.

The thing is, a tournament like that could be completed in a single day, provided everyone stayed online. So I do not see as much entertainment value out of it.

I personally would love to have a ranked tournament set up, but I believe it isn't practical. Also, as you have never pvp-ed before, I would like to inform you that your first, second, and third games you will not do well. It takes time to learn to play pvp, and I hope you do not get discouraged too quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I know Id be "one and done" most likely, but Ive got to start sometime. Right now, I have no clue how to even start.

It shouldnt just be VAs, thats why I offered this, during STO downtime, for more players below VA to get a taste of PvP. And we could just conduct one round a day, so it COULD be stretched out. And just not allow Cloaked mines, or if seen using them, instant DQ, it should be that simple.

I read everywhere the shortcomings of PvP, but if we dont find a way to get more players involved in it, you wont be heard. I joined ONLINE to play OTHER players in starships. So far Ive been entertained without direct competition, and have been having fun with co op PvE. But now I want to see how well I do PvP. If you all are so disheartened with PvP, YOUR numbers will dwindle too and we'll NEVER get the PvP improvements you've been demanding lately.

So, if I stop my membership by withdrawing my CC, and take a few months off, do I get to continue with my current toon at current rank when I come back? Or back to square one most likely?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNT009 View Post
So, if I stop my membership by withdrawing my CC, and take a few months off, do I get to continue with my current toon at current rank when I come back? Or back to square one most likely?
Your account will be saved at it's current state. If you cancel your sub today and come back 6 months from now, your account and characters will still be in the exact same state you left them in.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I know Id be "one and done" most likely, but Ive got to start sometime. Right now, I have no clue how to even start.

It shouldnt just be VAs, thats why I offered this, during STO downtime, for more players below VA to get a taste of PvP. And we could just conduct one round a day, so it COULD be stretched out. And just not allow Cloaked mines, or if seen using them, instant DQ, it should be that simple.

I read everywhere the shortcomings of PvP, but if we dont find a way to get more players involved in it, you wont be heard. I joined ONLINE to play OTHER players in starships. So far Ive been entertained without direct competition, and have been having fun with co op PvE. But now I want to see how well I do PvP. If you all are so disheartened with PvP, YOUR numbers will dwindle too and we'll NEVER get the PvP improvements you've been demanding lately.

I would love to play pvp at ranks below VA, because I believe it is a lot more like combat should be. However, it is simply not practical. there are not enough players at ranks below VA to make a worthwhile tournament. And even if there were, people would complain because someone would get to the highest rank in that bracket and dominate.

However, I might consider having a tournament with a ship-tier restraint.* That might let lower levels compete at the same level as VA.** Also I would love to simply be able to play without the insane powers and cross heals all over the place.

*I'm pretty sure some fleets have tried this.
**Ok, not really, the VA's abilities would screw it up.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-21-2011, 07:59 PM
on Saturdays a lot of pvpers have "shuttle wars", where we all jump in shuttles. no spam or fleet support allowed. we also do ship tier 1 & 2 battles, same rules, any rank can play.
Snix has even played the last 2 weeks.
To join subscribe to the chat channel
shuttle_wars
the wars start around 1pm EST.
Also, you should subscribe to the orginized pvp channel to find matches at lower ranks.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
on Saturdays a lot of pvpers have "shuttle wars", where we all jump in shuttles. no spam or fleet support allowed. we also do ship tier 1 & 2 battles, same rules, any rank can play.
shuttle_wars
Also, you should subscribe to the orginized pvp channel to find matches at lower ranks.
I've tried to get on at the same time as shuttle wars, but I keep getting interrupted.

Organized PvP does not help at lower ranks. Anyone who will pvp is already queued
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-22-2011, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLOURD
I've tried to get on at the same time as shuttle wars, but I keep getting interrupted.

Organized PvP does not help at lower ranks. Anyone who will pvp is already queued
Just about the only pvp i get with my captain & commander alts i get through the OPVP channel.
because you dont need 10 people to start a private match.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
shuttle_wars
I would like to thank everyone that supported this event the last 2 Saturdays, it was a lot of fun!

Myself, with the help of my fleet will be hosting it the next 2 Saturdays and then my sub expires and I will not be resubbing, maybe someone else can take it from there....

That said....

Who: EVERYONE!

What: SHUTTLE WARS Part 3 !!

When: Saturday the 26th

Time: 1 pm EST

We will be doing the shuttles, T1's and T2's and maybe T3's if enough are interested.

See you there...
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakma View Post
I would like to thank everyone that supported this event the last 2 Saturdays, it was a lot of fun!

Myself, with the help of my fleet will be hosting it the next 2 Saturdays and then my sub expires and I will not be resubbing, maybe someone else can take it from there....

That said....

Who: EVERYONE!

What: SHUTTLE WARS Part 3 !!

When: Saturday the 26th

Time: 1 pm EST

We will be doing the shuttles, T1's and T2's and maybe T3's if enough are interested.

See you there...
I'll be there, my sub expires on the 5th, so this will be my 2nd to last one as well.