Lt. Commander
Hi all,

This was mentioned on the latest StarbaseUGC podcast and I was surprised when I didn't find any discussion on it at all on the forums. So what are we talking about. A Foundry Author tool to embed a Short Term Code in which has all the valuable information of what the mission involves. The description Characters are limited and we value them with every letter, so going into detail as to the estimated length, Type of difficulty of enemies and type of game play is not something worth the characters. However if we the community came up with a viable short term for all the information a player might need to know about your mission, outside of the story line. I feel players we be allot more comfortable playing foundry missions.
So here are my recommendations.

GAME PLAY
* [COM] COMBAT Missions

* [DIP] DIPLOMACY Missions

* [FED] FEDERATION Missions

* [GRD] GROUND Missions

* [GRP] GROUP RP Missions

* [KDF] KLINGON Missions

* [SPC] SPACE Missions

* [SRP] SOLO RP Missions

* [STF] 5 PLAYER Missions

LENGTH
m = Minutes
H = Hours

Or

S=Short
M=Medium
L=Long

DIFFICULTY
Beg =
Beginner is basic game play with mostly weak enemies or none at all. This will also amount to the mission being designed to an easy playability.
Int =
Intermediate has Enemies ranging from Ensigns to Lieutenants and is desighned for players well versed in the STO Game mechanics.
Adv =
Advanced means to be STF ready with enemies ranging from LT commanders to captains and a design for people at VA who are veteran type gamers.

So my mission may look like this.
'Can't Keep A New Suite Clean'
[FED-SRP/20m/BEG]

Any Ideas, this need to be collaborated on in order to be fundamentally viable. Even if only 20% of Authors use it, I think it could be a valuable tool for any author to get people to play there missions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Unless Cryptic implements these special tags for us, any system we try to use will have to rely on the global mission description text field, a field I would rather dedicate for describing the mission's story. That said, I included a specific warning in my mission detailing that it's recommended for solo-RP'ers and meant for normal difficulty, and also why it wasn't to be played on Adv/Elite unless you're looking for a nightmarish experience.

In essence, I think Cryptic should do this for us.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Unless Cryptic implements these special tags for us, any system we try to use will have to rely on the global mission description text field, a field I would rather dedicate for describing the mission's story. That said, I included a specific warning in my mission detailing that it's recommended for solo-RP'ers and meant for normal difficulty, and also why it wasn't to be played on Adv/Elite unless you're looking for a nightmarish experience.

In essence, I think Cryptic should do this for us.
I can totally understand that. Maybe if we come up with something they can use it might help facilitate them using it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
I think having something like that on the search teb would be great. The authors would need to check off boxes of what their mission would be designated under, and that would be used for searches.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Or instead of locking things down to a fixed, restrictive taxonomy; ask for an open tag system, letting an author tag their mission however they like.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I like this system. Except one little thing: the time.

Don't get me wrong, I like to classify how longa mission will take approximately. But I noticed that playtime of a mission greatly differs from player to player.
Some people are faster readers than others - then are those, of course, that simply look for the "green text" and skip everything else. And a fight that one player finishes in about three minutes takes another one five or even ten minutes.

Why not make three categories: "Short" for missions that take up to 30 minutes, "medium" for up to one hour and "long" for those that take even longer.
I suppose missions that will take several hours are almost impossible.