Lt. Commander
# 31
03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
thats insulting to say the least. dont do that respect people for their logic and if they make you look foolish for being prejudice then dont try and dig your hole deeper.
My guess was based on the belief that people too young (or, as it turns out, from other countries) to have been exposed to TOS early are less likely to think well of it, and more likely to favor the later shows and to even think of them as the only real Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 32 lol
03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
perhaps but like i said topic is to the ship not people understanding of the show. ship can be fit with good gear. makes me wonder if any one who argues hard for this connie T5 has tried the upgrade on consols in the ship. you every see a connie fire quatum torps lol
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Well my two cents is like this:

Old ships being "refit" make sense to an extent, a ship from VOY, DS9, and TNG makes sense to still be in service or refit (timeline wise).

However ENT and TOS refits to 2409 don't make as much sense for everything, and personally my favorite ship is the NX-01, however it isn't really something that fits. By this time really all ships from that time would be long gone except for exceptional ships or famous ships for one reason or another, and they wouldn't really be in active service or abundant numbers.

As for the argument that it's war and maybe the Fed needs more ships, they wouldn't build new old ships, at least not that old. They also wouldn't have a fleet of them handy just in case, who would waste resources on maintaining a fleet of 200+ year old ships?

That being said the stuff has been added because a lot of people ask for it, and like one other person said, it makes money.

I bought for example the NX class replica even though I will be done using it at Lt. and I'd love to be flying it at VA.

The conclusion though for me personally is that for the person who wants to roleplay, or be immersed into the universe these anachronisms are nonsensical, and really in genera I would say they shouldn't be there much or should be limited to lower levels just because it kills to an extent the seriousness of the story.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlicek View Post
Well my two cents is like this:

Old ships being "refit" make sense to an extent, a ship from VOY, DS9, and TNG makes sense to still be in service or refit (timeline wise).

However ENT and TOS refits to 2409 don't make as much sense for everything, and personally my favorite ship is the NX-01, however it isn't really something that fits. By this time really all ships from that time would be long gone except for exceptional ships or famous ships for one reason or another, and they wouldn't really be in active service or abundant numbers.

As for the argument that it's war and maybe the Fed needs more ships, they wouldn't build new old ships, at least not that old. They also wouldn't have a fleet of them handy just in case, who would waste resources on maintaining a fleet of 200+ year old ships?

That being said the stuff has been added because a lot of people ask for it, and like one other person said, it makes money.

I bought for example the NX class replica even though I will be done using it at Lt. and I'd love to be flying it at VA.

The conclusion though for me personally is that for the person who wants to roleplay, or be immersed into the universe these anachronisms are nonsensical, and really in genera I would say they shouldn't be there much or should be limited to lower levels just because it kills to an extent the seriousness of the story.
The issue is not what makes sense to you, but what other people would like in order to better enjoy the game. I personally would absolutely love a T-5 Connie. It is my favorite ship. I got into star trek when I was in grade school and my father would take me to see all of the movies in the theaters. It is my favorite ship and I have alot of fond memories with my father and watching those movies. I think people should worry about themselves and not what other people would like to play. this is a game for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-23-2011, 05:10 PM
And as far as the special power would go, I would support a cloak tracking torpedo that also knocks the ship out of cloak. Or perhaps a command access code power out of wrath of Khan that would drop a ships shields.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Some of the ships in the new movie did look nice thou. The budwiser warpdrive and blurry warpspace effect sucked majorly. The current Constitution class ship fits perfectly well as is alongside the miranda class ships, old model ships that can be easily mass produced and repaired but are still considered subpar compared to the more advanced ships that are common in starfleet. Anyway the constitution class was never shown to have a special ability like the other refit ships. Fans would be complaining "The Enterprise could never do (blank) in any of the original episodes". (blank) could be anything from being faster in combat, firing ranbows from its deflector dish or beaming tribbles onto an enemy ship (granted this happened once). Its just wishful thinking.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-24-2011, 01:56 PM
the original discussion is already been going on in the below area

Star Trek Online > Star Trek Online Forums > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online Discussion
"I don't want no 23rd Century ships poppin my OMGWTFPWNAGE Soverign."
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo80 View Post
Careful now, you're going to alienate people. I may also think the constitution class has no place in STO outside of the kitsch T1 value, but TOS is my favorite Trek series, even though I'm only 30 yrs. old.
That's me in a nutshell.

When I think Trek, I think

Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Sulu/Chekov
Uhura
Chapel
Rand
Enterprise
Enterprise A
Animated Series
Klingons
Romulans
Horta
D-7s
KHAAAAAAAAN

The images of original Trek, and the first 6 movies are what make me think Trek.

Not Picard
Not Sisko
Not Janeway

Not the Galaxy class or the Sovereign, nor the Defiant or the Intrepid.

The later part of Trek's history is more Rick Berman than Gene Roddenberry.

Nope, for me, my love will always be the Constitution Class and the Constitution Class Refit.

THAT is Star Trek!
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekTheStars
I can understand your desire to have one! This is a very heated debate and you can find about 7 active threads in the Star Trek Online Discussion area.
Only 7? Seems more like 70 to me...
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
That's me in a nutshell.

When I think Trek, I think

Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Sulu/Chekov
Uhura
Chapel
Rand
Enterprise
Enterprise A
Animated Series
Klingons
Romulans
Horta
D-7s
KHAAAAAAAAN

The images of original Trek, and the first 6 movies are what make me think Trek.

Not Picard
Not Sisko
Not Janeway

Not the Galaxy class or the Sovereign, nor the Defiant or the Intrepid.

The later part of Trek's history is more Rick Berman than Gene Roddenberry.

Nope, for me, my love will always be the Constitution Class and the Constitution Class Refit.

THAT is Star Trek!
When i hear Star Trek i think of:
  • Picard
  • Enterprise - D
  • Riker
  • Data
  • Romulan Neutral Zone
  • Worf
  • Dr. Crusher
  • Keeping Peace
  • LaForge

Later:
  • Sisko
  • O'Brian
  • Dax (Jadzia)
  • Odo
  • Dr. Bashir
  • NOT the Defiant (i just hate that hideous little cartoony ship)

I never liked ToS very much because in Germany, ToS had an awful goofy dubbing, so i was never really interested in it. The first 6 Movies where ok, mostly becaues of a much more serious dubbing which made them very different to the series.

But when i watched TNG i felt in love with Star Trek. It had a very mysterious athmosphere for me in the beginning and the more i watched it the more i loved it.

DS9 was different.
In the first episodes of DS9 i missed my Heroes very much and i didn't liked that show very much anyway.
Several Years later i gave DS9 a second chance and i liked it very much but it became very militaristic, which was uncharactaristic for Star Tek then and i am not certain if it was good for Star Trek.

The Movies 7-10 where ok, but too different fromt TNG for my taste, especially the introduction of the Sovereign Class that is too militaristic and retro looking for my taste.

Regarding STO:
I was very disappointed because the Galaxy Class was just a big and extremly slow target and it's firepower was not worth mentioning. So i had to stick with the Sovereign of which i always thought looked to too retro for my taste because its HUUUGE nacelles.
When i was doing much more PvP i even bought a T5 Excelsior, but after a while i noticed that it was too tedious and PvP was just not my cup of tea.

My Question is:
IF a T5 Constitution i going to be introduced in STO and full capable to stand toe to toe with a Sovereign or Galaxy, won't it look somehow strange when such a small ship has the same firepower like a ship that has 5 or 7 times the mass?

Thank you for reading and didn't intent to offend anyone with my writings.
Closed Thread