Lt. Commander
# 51
03-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Im not too keen on DS9 myself (Babylon 5 was 1000 times better)
Wow, we actually agree on something.
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Oh like the strong woman swaying captain, the nerdy scientist, the robust engineer etc?
As I said, that was how the show was sold to the network. On the surface, the heroes were broadly defined according an expected format. But they turned out to be more complex under the surface. I'm sorry that you don't see that.

The ship was SUPPOSED to have a woman in the first officer's chair. Roddenberry unfortunately couldn't swing that. It's ironic that even decades later, in the supposedly more progressive 21st century, the selection of Janeway as a Captain was actually STILL viewed with some concern as to whether the audience would accept it.
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayyde
As I said, that was how the show was sold to the network. On the surface, the heroes were broadly defined according an expected format. But they turned out to be more complex under the surface. I'm sorry that you don't see that.

The ship was SUPPOSED to have a woman in the first officer's chair. Roddenberry unfortunately couldn't swing that.
Well it wasn't the woman first officer that was the problem, it was her being played by Roddenberry's mistress/future wife that was the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 54
03-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post
Well it wasn't the woman first officer that was the problem, it was her being played by Roddenberry's mistress/future wife that was the problem.
Actually, the person who had a problem with that was Rodenberry himself until they put her in the wig and had her audition for the pilot. He didn't even recognize her and gave them the ok.
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Love the Connie and wouldn't mind it being able to lv up to LC with the same slots available for the LC cruiser. GET some use out of the TOS ship interior and uniforms before moving on to CMD.
Lt. Commander
# 56
03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
why not make a VA TOS Dreadnaught? ya know, the one with three nacells?
Lt. Commander
# 57
03-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone3 View Post
why not make a VA TOS Dreadnaught? ya know, the one with three nacells?

Because, and here i go again, ADDING A NACELLES DOES JACK SH...!

Nacelles are, essentially, warp propulsion. They do NOT produce power. They CONSUME IT to produce WARP SPEED.
Adding more Nacelles is done solely for either adding redundancy, in case something breaks, or to create a more powerful warpfield.
Like when you upscale the power generation on a ship but cant make good use of that plus of power because your initial nacelles are to small to house more coils and you cant fit new, more effective coils so you add another nacelle instead.

Nacelles do JACKSHIITE in terms of combat performance.

WHAT does wonders for combat performance is internal volume of your space frame. That means ROOM. Room to fit stuff.

The constitution is a tiny SHRINK of a ship compared to all modern trek cruisers. a SHRINK. A SMURF.

Logic, even game logic, flat out forbids a VA stat constitution or any ship kitbash/mashup made from it.

Its stupid.

It cant have the same weapons, the same hp. at best one could settle on a t3 stat constitution - elevating the t2 up one level to t3 is barely reasonable and acceptable. You can add proper VA boff slots but never shoudl this ship actualy have both the beef and the bite of any actual t5+ cruiser - ships that have up to 7 times the internal volume and are build much more bulky to begin with.
Lt. Commander
# 58
03-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Oh like the strong woman swaying captain, the nerdy scientist, the robust engineer etc?

Now, Im not too keen on DS9 myself (Babylon 5 was 1000 times better), but the Voyager, Enterprise and to some extent the TNG crew/captain was much more believable.

Im sure it was a good series, in the mid/late 60s.
You find Voyager more believable...Kate Mulgrew herself once adressed the problem that Janeway seemed to act as though she had a bipolar disorder.
Mulgrew did not actually deny this, she said it was the authors fault.
My best friend has a bipolar disorder and neither she nor myself would even dream of her in command of a spaceship.
She cannot work in certain jobs that involve people because of it.
So I wonder how credible it is for someone like Janeway, to be in command.
It is unlikely that she would have passed psychological evaluation.
All the other captains with their weaknesses and obsessions were far more stable than her.
Even Kirk.
Lt. Commander
# 59
03-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
You find Voyager more believable...Kate Mulgrew herself once adressed the problem that Janeway seemed to act as though she had a bipolar disorder.
Mulgrew did not actually deny this, she said it was the authors fault.
My best friend has a bipolar disorder and neither she nor myself would even dream of her in command of a spaceship.
She cannot work in certain jobs that involve people because of it.
So I wonder how credible it is for someone like Janeway, to be in command.
It is unlikely that she would have passed psychological evaluation.
All the other captains with their weaknesses and obsessions were far more stable than her.
Even Kirk.
More believable in that she isnt completely impervious to the stress of being trapped, completely isolated from command/family/life.

Ofcourse any commanding officer is well educated in how to deal with stressors, actually being trapped such an enormous distance from home, is something completely different.

Its just like being a soldier, you wont know how you react under fire or after having killed somebody, until youve actually tried it.
Lt. Commander
# 60
03-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Quote:
More believable in that she isnt completely impervious to the stress of being trapped, completely isolated from command/family/life.

Ofcourse any commanding officer is well educated in how to deal with stressors, actually being trapped such an enormous distance from home, is something completely different.

Its just like being a soldier, you wont know how you react under fire or after having killed somebody, until youve actually tried it.
So on the one hand you say we don't know how it would affect someone.
On the other you have decided, based on information that you say you don't have any more than anyone else, that Janeway's behaviour is more realistic than for example the self-doubt Kirk expressed in "Balance of Terror".
He sat in his quarters and said to McCoy "Why me? I look around that bridge and I see them men are waiting for me to make the next move. And Bones what if I'm wrong?"
To me that sounds like he was affect, so which captain are you thinking of that was impervious?
Closed Thread