Lt. Commander
# 1 About spawn camping...
03-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein.

Feds - if you don't like being spawn camped...please don't sit at your spawn point when you enter arenas.

I understand that it's often difficult to form a team with a Fed PuG...but the majority of Klingons can attest that by the time they form their own team and impulse across the map to the Fed spawn point, they find the Fed team within 5-10 km of their spawn and flying in a straight line with no discernible direction.

Granted some people can be distracted for various reasons at the beginning of a match, there's little excuse for acting like sitting ducks long enough that the entire Klingon team can cross the length of any map to attack you.

Standard Fed arena strategy is to prepare for a Klingon alpha strike and use the close respawn to their advantage (which can be a good idea) but the popular internet phrase, "You're doing it wrong" couldn't be more appropriate.

Personally, I've never had any problem being spawn camped when I play Fed. In fact - I can count on one hand the times I've been effectively spawn camped in at least the past three or four months. That includes pure PuGs.

Solutions?
- Take the initiative and invite people to team as soon as possible. If others have the same idea then check whether your team would be the most convenient for a full group (e.g. if your team has two people and you can't invite anyone else in a 5v5 match, then immediately leave team and request to join the other).
- Fly approximately 20-25 km away from your spawn so if someone dies then they won't be in range of quick-acting Klingons who will take advantage of low speed and power levels.
- For the love of all that is holy, do not fly in a straight line. It makes you that much more vulnerable to an alpha strike on a single shield facing. If everyone is flying erratically, it will make it harder for an alpha-strike Klingon to judge whom to attack first.
- Fly slightly upwards. It gives the impression that you're ready for an attack so you're not a valuable alpha target (similar to the effect of flying erratically). In my experience, Klingons attack from above more often than not.

Many people employ these tactics every game, and obviously they don't work all the time. If you still get spawn camped after all that effort, then you're probably going to lose anyway so you should consider a quick end to the match as an act of mercy
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-22-2011, 07:51 AM
While there are certainly some cryptic-side changes that could be made in order to help reduce the chances of getting spawn camped, taking personal responsibility and deciding not to allow yourself to become a victim is a really good start.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
Feds - if you don't like being spawn camped...please don't sit at your spawn point when you enter arenas.
I would just like to stress this point heavily. Its not spawn camping if you don't move away from the spawn!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Just to add another explanation as to why it's a bad idea to stage the battle near your spawn point.

When you respawn, your power levels have to build back up, as obtuse as that is. Getting jumped or engaging the enemy after respawning is almost like full impulsing from one end of the map to the other to fight some guy without letting your power levels go back up.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-22-2011, 09:05 AM
I have never been spawn camped in this game...so it is user error.

Good tips. Needs to be broad casted across all federation subspace channels.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Excuse me,

but i think the termn SPAWN CAMPING refers to the fact that one team start moving to the oponent team spawn point systematically and wait for the ships to appear...

Your suggestions, sounds like, "spawn camping is the fault of the losing side", and i am not talking about kilnks only, but to fed vs fed arenas too.

This happened to me the other day, the oponent side went to our spawn point and started to eliminate ship by ship.

If you take this for fun, well you are wrong, and you enter in the territory who several mention, of bulling.

When a team is so superior, that can easily take the oponent spawn point, what you can do is just to wait in the middle, and let the weaker group try to find another way to attack you, even to re group, that is polite and sportive, even if the team is not regrouping, many players will take their ships to the battle again to die and you will win easily too, without resorting to bulling and insultive taunts by chat, which i have also seen, or give weak reasons like "you have attacked a science vessel, so now i will camp your spawn point", that's lame and it is a pathetic excuse to allow yourself to do things which are not well received in the community.

We are all here to have fun, to play and also to learn.
Those acts of "superiority" only take players out of PvP and eventually out of the game, since PvE is not infinite.

And again, just in case, i am not accusing Klinks to do anything, because this happened to me 2 days ago in Fed vs Fed, so I just used your post as a way to vent my anger.

For the players who face this, DO NOT RE SPAWN when dead, or leave and join another Queue, let the brave and bold have fan alone.

For Cryptic, something simple for this is to randomly rotate the spawn points (i dont know how hard is to do this on the game engine terms) and to put no less than 4 spawn points.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2011, 10:04 AM
You entered a fight. You knew someone was going to shoot at you eventually. If you didn't get ready for it then you are asking to be abused. So blame the people who came to play the game if that makes you feel better about your own shortcomings. Even better, leave the map so someone who knows how to play can fill the spot.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
You entered a fight. You knew someone was going to shoot at you eventually. If you didn't get ready for it then you are asking to be abused. So blame the people who came to play the game if that makes you feel better about your own shortcomings. Even better, leave the map so someone who knows how to play can fill the spot.
Ha ha, very simple right?
L2P?

I am not blaming people who come to play, if you start moving towards the opponent spawn point, then you are trying to get an easy win, most people condemn that, there is even a sticky post on this same section on the forum condemning that, so again, if you try to hide un-sportive behavior by saying L2P or go away, good for you.

Quote:
Even better, leave the map so someone who knows how to play can fill the spot.
In your words you say if you dont know how to play, go away and let space to someone who can, well, if that is not bulling, well....

That kind of behavior is abusive and should be banned.

Thanks for making this community great.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm not saying that spawn camping is good or even that Cryptic shouldn't eventually do something about it. I don't like it anymore than the next person. That being said, I know how to get around it 99% of the time and just a few of the tips above are more than adequate to ensure that it doesn't happen.

This is, in fact, a problem that people create for themselves. It is unfortunate but even with things as they are, and assuming the worst from your opponents, anyone can easily avoid being spawn camped if they just follow a few simple steps.

People have to step up. The game isn't going to play itself.

[Edit] Actually, I'm not trying to bully anyone. My suggestion that people leave the map to make space for others who want to play the game was actually in agreement with you suggesting that people not respawn.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:
I'm not saying that spawn camping is good or even that Cryptic shouldn't eventually do something about it. I don't like it anymore than the next person. That being said, I know how to get around it 99% of the time and just a few of the tips above are more than adequate to ensure that it doesn't happen.

This is, in fact, a problem that people create for themselves. It is unfortunate but even with things as they are, and assuming the worst from your opponents, anyone can easily avoid being spawn camped if they just follow a few simple steps.

People have to step up. The game isn't going to play itself.
Now that we are discussing more politely I must agree with you, also I must say that this also happened to me once or twice (this speaks good from the community), but when happened i just exploded, with no chance of going away, and when i wrote on the chat, to stop doing it, i got insulting taunts and weak explanations as i exposed above in my first post, that is why i was angry.

Regards,