Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Well, roughly speaking, ground HP is about 1/50th of space HP, so dividing all the ground numbers by that multiple would be in the ballpark. Say 50K healing or damage for ground matches might be about right.
When ground PvP was happening back in the day I was consistantly on the top of the damage charts with my klink Tac. I'm not sure I ever got a damage score over 35 to 40k, and those were when the points were set at 40 and long matches against engies and scis spamming heals to boot. Plus being a tac that was fully specced for ground and with dual split beam rifles, I'm not sure that 50000 would really be an achievable goal. I could be incorrect in my memory as it's been quite a while since there has been any consistent ground matches for me to test.

But I agree with the general idea. Don't make the numbers so out of reach for the "average" player looking for emblems, but high enough to encourage at least SOME participation to mitigate the AFK problem. Perhaps having a tiered system of emblem rewards?

10k damage : 1 Emblem
20k damage : 2 Emblems

Something to that effect. There could still be a maximum "daily" limit that you can obtain via any particular method. Like 3 max emblems for space pvp per day, 3 max for ground pvp per day. That way, you could concievably complete your dailies in one match if you really busted your ass. Or if you aren't quite as good you would need to play additional matches. This would encoruage more matches per day, as the "average" player likely wouldn't satisfy the requirements to get all 3 emblems in one match, and it would also encourage those players to improve their skills and loadouts in order to get closer to that goal.

Don't like playing 3 to 5 matches to finish your dailies? Figure out how to do better, and you could finish your dailies in 1 match. As the ultimate goal for the "average" player seems to be "get as many emblems as possible in as little amount of time" this seems like a good solution to me. For those who can already complete their dailies in 1 match, they were likely players who PvP regularly anyway so they will likely continue to queue for matches even after the dailies are complete.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 View Post
When ground PvP was happening back in the day I was consistantly on the top of the damage charts with my klink Tac. I'm not sure I ever got a damage score over 35 to 40k, and those were when the points were set at 40 and long matches against engies and scis spamming heals to boot. Plus being a tac that was fully specced for ground and with dual split beam rifles, I'm not sure that 50000 would really be an achievable goal. I could be incorrect in my memory as it's been quite a while since there has been any consistent ground matches for me to test.
I had assumed all of the PvP emblem reward accolades were cumulative; so if you get 10K per match, it will take 5 matches to score a 50K accolade, which might earn you 1 emblem. And I also assumed these were repeatable accolades, so once it's given it just resets, and then you can rack up another 50K, get another emblem, etc. I think this actually makes a great reward system for PvP, since giving repeatable emblem accolades based on actual damage and healing will guarantee that you're only rewarding real, active PvP game play, and not just /afk camping matches. It also gives people a fun little incentive to tune their builds and tactics, and see how quick they can rack these up. Making them cumulative also means they're available to anyone, though of course some will achieve them quicker than others; but sooner or later anyone can get there. And having symmetric rewards for healing and damage (probably only healing allies should count), also gives a nice fair sense of rewarding team play as well as solo kill farming.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Thats a good idea with the cumulative score contributing to the reward. I would immagine that there would still need to be some sort of maximum daily limit because it is in Cryptic's best interest. As much as I wish we could just earn the rewards based on the ammount of time we put in, if players were able to grind out whatever number of emblems are required to get the new content within a few days or whatever, the idea of being able to purchase that item in the C-store to get it faster is less appealing. Good for players, bad for Cryptic's nickle/dime philosophy.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Well, roughly speaking, ground HP is about 1/50th of space HP, so dividing all the ground numbers by that multiple would be in the ballpark. Say 50K healing or damage for ground matches might be about right.
Updated the post. Thanks

---

The idea is not to be usually able to attain those values in a single match, but it's accumulated over many. (maybe space healing seems to low for that now?)
Of course, some really long matches might get you to those values. But basically, the idea is to need something like 1-2 hours of play to get there, and while it is technically a Daily, it is not expected many can finish it on one day.

I never finish all my Dailies each day...
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 View Post
Thats a good idea with the cumulative score contributing to the reward. I would immagine that there would still need to be some sort of maximum daily limit because it is in Cryptic's best interest. As much as I wish we could just earn the rewards based on the ammount of time we put in, if players were able to grind out whatever number of emblems are required to get the new content within a few days or whatever, the idea of being able to purchase that item in the C-store to get it faster is less appealing. Good for players, bad for Cryptic's nickle/dime philosophy.
This is a fair point. I think if you set the reward levels "high enough" then it's sort of self-limiting. And even if it's "slow" to get emblems, at least it still feels like something that's more fair to PvP players then the current system of no rewards at all. If you think of it as just a background thing that brings you a trickle of emblems as you're busy doing what you would be doing all day anyway, then it's not a big deal if they take a while to pay off. The other, perhaps larger, problem would be "farming" this through private challenges (i.e., you just have one toon kill another over and over and over to farm the accolades). For that reason, the rewards should probably only accrue while in public matches scheduled through the regular queues.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The idea is not to be usually able to attain those values in a single match, but it's accumulated over many. (maybe space healing seems to low for that now?) Of course, some really long matches might get you to those values. But basically, the idea is to need something like 1-2 hours of play to get there, and while it is technically a Daily, it is not expected many can finish it on one day. I never finish all my Dailies each day...
This sounds right; or at least it's the way I read the original suggestion. I think it makes sense to set the thresholds at some level which might be "typical" or "achievable" in a day of matches, even if it might take many people more than a day of PvP playtime to hit them. If it's low enough that most people might hit it in say, 3 to 5 matches, then I'd expect each round of the accolade to only give 1 emblem, and I'd also hope you could do them more than once in a day. If they're set at levels that a "hardcore" PvP player would hit once per day, with a typical number of matches (or if you're only allowed to hit the accolade once every 18 hours, like an actual daily), then I'd hope we get more like 3 to 5 emblems for each time you hit the goal.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd love to see more work done on the PVP Maps in general. I mean they place these nifty areas in the middles of the maps, but once you go up or down far enough, there's nothing but empty space. Not to mention the space maps feel small, and there is so far only 1 planet based ground map. But even that map isn't designed to be a huge open area. (Not that I wouldn't mind seeing Breaking the Cord's ground part turned into a Capture the Flag PVP map with the Orbital Strikes turned into a more 1/minute multiple barrage instead.)

Another style of map that would be interesting would be a large (And I mean LARGE) objective based map. Where teams have to race to complete each objective, and which ever team completes all of the objectives first, wins the map. (Better then Ker'rat I mean.. Because Ker'rat is this type of map, but poorly designed and still littered with a few bugs) And I don't mean an open map, but an instanced map like C&H, or Shanty town. Where you can Que up for it.

I also still think that there should be an observation ability for private matches where you have to go to either Quonos or Earth Space dock, and either Adm Quin or The Klingon High Council could inform you of battles going on (Private matches) That you could watch.

I also hope to see eventually, mission objectives that actually effect the neutral zone physically.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
I also still think that there should be an observation ability for private matches where you have to go to either Quonos or Earth Space dock, and either Adm Quin or The Klingon High Council could inform you of battles going on (Private matches) That you could watch.
I would love this as well, and it would be a really nice channel for entertainment (and learning how to PvP better). But I believe typically it isn't done in games because it opens an obvious exploit of having someone log a toon on the enemy side to "spy" the match their own team is in.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Not much of an exploit. Guild Wars has an observer mode for Guild vs Guild matches, and you can watch your own team if you want.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
A new variant of Capture and Hold.

The Defending Team, (blue. cause you know. Red's OP ) as to maintain their dominance over at least 3 out of 5 points for a given length of time. (say 15 minutes)

While the Storming Team, has to break the hold of the Defending team, and drive them back.

There could be special bonuses for holding specific points on the map for the Defending and Storm teams. Like say for example having your ship at the Shipyard grants you a boost to hull and shield healing abilities.

Sensor, array boosts cloak detection, and Sensor related skills (such as Target Subsystems, and Sensor scan)

The Storm Team, on the other hand, could get things like Damage boosts, movement boosts etc.

Once the time expires the winning team, gets an additional 3 emblems, another 50k EC, and 450 merits.
Sounds sort of like Black Ops HQ maps.