Lt. Commander
Hi all,

Attempted to start a Foundry project at the weekend, but I had to keep changing my plan as I found more and more limitations in the Foundry. I think I can still make it work, but its kinda depressing that my original vision just cant happen.

Does anyone have any clever work-arounds for...
  • Disabling a ship rather than destroying it (Kill Target)
  • Making a ship warp in or out, or an NPC beam in or out
  • Non-federation style sliding doors
  • Give mission dialog with a custom costume
  • Creating localised sound effects on a ground map (specifically bar noise/music, like in Drozana station)
  • Creating a Ferengi D'kora class ship that you can fight against
  • Having a boss fight in space against a single, named ship

Are any of these things even vaguely possible? Might they be in future?

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zutty View Post
Hi all,

Attempted to start a Foundry project at the weekend, but I had to keep changing my plan as I found more and more limitations in the Foundry. I think I can still make it work, but its kinda depressing that my original vision just cant happen.

• Creating localised sound effects on a ground map (specifically bar noise/music, like in Drozana station)

Are any of these things even vaguely possible? Might they be in future?

Thanks.
1. the work around is that you destroy the NPC baddie ships from groups and spawn a NPC ship identical where you want (bit hard considering youll destoy it in different places)
2. no worm around im afraid. npc's from both tabs only have a spawn point and no beam out point. NPC's can be by using the beam out emote when not chatting (and using an emote when using chatting)
3. dont know that one.
4. i always use my boff using an incoming communication then use normal dialogue using custom costume
5. sound effects can be used...but not localy. it has to be wide map (i know in space, not sure on ground though)
6. if ferengi is not in the costume list, you sadly will not be able to either create it or substiute for it (i dont actually know if you can create it, ill have to check)
7.on single player, use a battleship from any faction, reskin it and rename it in "Contact" tab. you can in the "Name" tab above it but it will not show. you also have to know which NPC is spawning before you rename anything. this will become irrelevent if grouped as more ship will appear (as is reflected in NPC group display)

hope that helps (if you can either read or understand my probably terrible writing xD)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
How do I

* Disabling a ship rather than destroying it (Kill Target)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooiue View Post
1the work around is that you destroy the NPC baddie ships from groups and spawn a NPC ship identical where you want (bit hard considering youll destoy it in different places)
So you would have to move your ship to a specific location, I guess that means have it run away (strategic retreat?)... is it possible to trigger an npc's movement at a specific health point? [when I get to 10% move to X,Y or something along those lines?]
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack
So you would have to move your ship to a specific location, I guess that means have it run away (strategic retreat?)... is it possible to trigger an npc's movement at a specific health point? [when I get to 10% move to X,Y or something along those lines?]
NPC's cannot be moved via the Foundry from what I know. if they can, i haven't tried it, but i suspect they can't. so blow up the NPC baddie group and spawn the NPC contact (being disabled emote or something) where you want (i would personally put it where they spawned but thats just me ). but no, you cannot control NPC movement from what I know (unless an emote says otherwise such as impulse out)
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zutty View Post
Hi all,

no help here from me, sorry.

Quote:
You can do this using an npc, though my experience is that they then constantly seem to try and warp in, this might be easier to accomplish using triggers to get a warp in and unhide a npc contact in its place.

Quote:
I want to say there is a Romulan sliding door, but this might be another thing to 'fake' with triggers

Quote:
not...sure what you are asking here, a little more context perhaps?

Quote:
You can modify some of the ambient sounds on a map, though this might only be restricted to non social maps though.

Quote:
The 'problem' is in weapons type. I have for example skinned a cardassian ship as a ferengi ship to at least get the phaser color, the problem is that also level caps the mission. And I dont recall ever seeing a ferengi use disruptors...

Quote:
This can be dine using npc groups, you wouldnt be able to make them extra special such as increase damage or hps. I have done this on a couple of my missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Little help
03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Before you even make a mission start looking on YouTube there is a lot off helpful tips.
Then play around with the foundry for a week or so, just to understand it a bit .
Because first I began same as you then they gave me this tip, don't try to make a mission yet !
Try to play around a bit with it search the Internet when you think you can handle the basics try to build something we all have to learn except for some smart brains.
Its just a tip.....
Greets
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I can tell you a trick for a sliding door. It's not perfect. Just place an object for doors at various states of opening and have them appear and get deleted by a set of narrowly overlapping waypoints, going from totally closed to totally open. Do it right and the player will trigger all of them by passing over the rim of the waypoints all at once, triggering the doors to get placed and deleted rapidly.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Or just use an invisible wall
03-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Or just an invisible wall trigger that on remove it from the game ...

You have your force field set up and an invisible wall on the same place as your force field.
Use the trigger tab go invisible in tab component complete trigger that with an console or what your plan is .
Then the force field will disappear and the invisible wall at the same time.

Greets
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-23-2011, 09:49 AM
I show how to make a ship warp out in one of the latest triggers tutorials at starbase UGC. Warping in is a different story.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-24-2011, 05:30 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Ooiue - Good idea for the give-mission dialog; I'll just use a boff.

I tried making an NPC contact appear when you destroy the NPC group, but the transition is a bit jarring since you cant suppress the explosion OR know where it will be when it gets destroyed.

Castmodean - I'm not worried about the weapon type (I do actually want it to be wrong, for the story) but I'm keen to know how you were able to skin a Cardie ship to look like a Ferengi ship.

Leviathan99 - Great idea for the sliding door. I might give it a try.

Kirkfat - Yes I saw (great videos by the way. Extrmelely useful!), but Im having issues with the technique. I have a Vorcah- Active and an NPC Vorcha ship at the exact same coordinates, but when the map transitions between the two they dont line up.