Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
So, I been back to STO for almost a month now and enjoying the game very much again. My WoW sub was about to renew, but I decided to suspend it for now. I can't play 2 MMOs, let alone pay for both. The funny part is when the website asks why I canceled my sub for WoW. One choice was for playing another MMO. Once this selected, more options popped asking which one was it. Surprisingly enough, the first listed was Star Trek Online.... this was pretty cool to see it on top of the list.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2011, 07:33 AM
well something has to be at the top of the list.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
well something has to be at the top of the list.
You'd think they'd just put them in alphabetical order.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2011, 07:37 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if WoW is watching some of the things going on over here. Cryptic has taken the MMO genre in a different direction in a number of things they are doing. And they are also quickly bringing this game up to par as far as an MMO should be. I dont think WoW feels threatened. But that they may be looking into some of the things going on over here and just want to know if thats something they could implement.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2011, 07:59 AM
If I had to bet Rift took more away from WoW than STO. Many players love Rift's role builds, it give much more freedom to game play. There was on player from Thrall a WoW server. That so many players went to Rift. That one of the top raiding guilds there didn't have enough to raid, because they were playing Rift.

Under a half hour when Rift launched it's servers were full. They had to add many more.

STO has been out more than a year. It was on top of the list probably because it was newer than most of the MMO's and just added on the list.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Of course they do! If not, they would be preatty dumb. But they're not. Blizzard adaptet almost everathing that works well in any MMO to WOW and that makes the success of WOW. Why should a player go elsewehere if he/she would find all the features already in WOW? - That's the thinking, and no wonder it worked so well.

IF Cryptic had once more developement time, IF they knew at the release how to use the whole capacities of the game engine and IF they had a bigger staff of employees, they could've been a real potential threat to Blizzard. But they didn't had all those choices. Sadly STO will loose against the Newcomer SW TOR again. They still lack of the needed amount of staff, and the budget to throw so much material in Season 4 to make a real stand against such a complex MMO as TOR. The only thing that Cryptic has to offer here, that others don't have at all are the featured episodes. However cool those are, they are not enough compared to the whole experince of a full MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
If I had to bet Rift took more away from WoW than STO. Many players love Rift's role builds, it give much more freedom to game play. There was on player from Thrall a WoW server. That so many players went to Rift. That one of the top raiding guilds there didn't have enough to raid, because they were playing Rift.

Under a half hour when Rift launched it's servers were full. They had to add many more.

STO has been out more than a year. It was on top of the list probably because it was newer than most of the MMO's and just added on the list.
No wonder so many WOW players try Rift. This game offers exactly what those wanted all the time. Just simply look on the charakter skill builup and if you once were a WOW player you'll understand what I mean.

Anyway,
I see Rift as a game, same like all those other self called WOW Killer. **** to call one. And where are those now?
Well, don't worry about WOW. It's only the hype. They all will come back. It has to be a much greater game as Rift to lure the WOW players definitive away from WOW.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macumba
No wonder so many WOW players try Rift. This game offers exactly what those wanted all the time. Just simply look on the charakter skill builup and if you once were a WOW player you'll understand what I mean.

Anyway,
I see Rift as a game, same like all those other self called WOW Killer. **** to call one. And where are those now?
Well, don't worry about WOW. It's only the hype. They all will come back. It has to be a much greater game as Rift to lure the WOW players definitive away from WOW.
I play Rift but never used the words WoW killer. It's no secret a large chuck of Rift's player base came from WoW. Many from **** and Everquest as well.

One thing I haven't seen in global chat nearly as much as STO or the six other MMO's launches I have been part of. Is very many displeased players people in the game they seem to enjoy it.

There is plenty of that on the forums but there seems to be many more positive posts. There are some STO players there too.

I don't think this will be a good year for STO. With Guilds Wars 2, Tera and TOR coming out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance86
I wouldnt be surprised if WoW is watching some of the things going on over here. Cryptic has taken the MMO genre in a different direction in a number of things they are doing. And they are also quickly bringing this game up to par as far as an MMO should be. I dont think WoW feels threatened. But that they may be looking into some of the things going on over here and just want to know if thats something they could implement.
What is Cryptic doing, exactly, that takes MMO's in a new direction? There's really nothing new here that hasn't been done anywhere else, IMO. There surely isn't anything being done here that Blizzard would actually consider implementing, with the possible exception of a faster leveling curve. The big difference is that WoW actually has the content to satisfy a faster curve, and STO doesn't.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-24-2011, 08:29 AM
its on top of the list, cause it was added lately.

as i cancelled, i wasnt able to choose it ;-) so its new in their list and so its on top i think.

and i think rift is just a copy of wow, i watched 5 trailers, every setting reminded me on some azeroth place.
the gaming system is 100% the same as far as i can see. there only few changes they made.

wow if so, will be killed either by swtor or diablo 3 ^^