Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-24-2011, 03:11 PM
You want incentive to PvP? Join the growing movement for territory control PvP being pushed up from development limbo.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
We are not rewarding PvP. We are rewarding people for being in a particular area in the game. If we were rewarding them for PvP, we would count damage, healing, kills, deaths, wins.
That's not rewarding, thats score keeping.

Real reward is basically what everyone wants Territoral PvP to be, actual control. Where your kills mean something more than just adding numbers on some stupid leaderboard. Actual use of strategy than just spamming abilities. That sort of thing.

Quote:
We have Open PvP in Ker'rat. People are not happy, curbstoping happens there.
Its not necessarily curbstomping its Ganked Curbstomping. Then there is the Borg helping out, and of course the ever popular spawn camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithterror View Post
Rewarding those to play PvP matches is just the "carrot on the stick". There will always be people who come in and choose to do nothing....at least the increased incentive would give credence to actually be part of the match. Some don't like to fight certain players or fleets due to tactics or "gimmicks"....so they either bail or sit it out and get 3-prong reward.
By having the matches reward more without a "daily" reward.....it encourages more play since you get "moar" for doing a PvP match than needing to do PvE missions to get "moar" rewards. So, those that like to do PvP will do it more since there is "moar" reward for doing so and doesn't ahve to split time to "gather" for themselves or their fleet.
Exactly, get rid of that carrot and rewarded for actually doing some killing. That actually encouraged people to improve more in PvP than STO's system of the loser trophy (hey we lost, but no problem, we got the credit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithterror View Post
Kerrat is a prime example of open PvP, despite number imbalances. Yet, PvE'ers hate the PvP that comes with it and sometimes vice-versa. Until a more defined sense of open PvP with control functions is introduced i cannot say anything more about it.
stressful and fun....well i know we **** off lots of Pug teams to where half the team leaves when they see it is us.I don't think fun goes both ways and can see why frustration brews from the pug stand-point.
Look at my response to Must regarding Ker'rat. But yes, there is no fun in getting curbstomped.

Right now, STO's PvP needs a massive overhaul, else its going to be like Shanty Town.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Honestly I'd just be happy if lower level marks could be traded up to higher level ones, even at a harsh exchange rate. With as sparse as lower level PvP is, I don't usually have enough marks to buy anything before I level, so it would be nice to at least be able to do something with those extra marks.

Thinking about it, since you usually level faster than you can gear up through PvP, the lower level PvP gear needs it's costs dramatically reduced. that would have the side effect of pulling more players into lower level PvP.

At the higher level, I just with that PvPing more than just the minimum required by quests would give some reward. I really hate that I have to do a couple of PvP matches, then spend a bunch of time PvEing. There's no need for this game to force people into PvE like that.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-24-2011, 06:12 PM
The latest Engineerign report does have some things in it pertaining to PvP that might help draw more folks to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Under Investigation
These issues are hot topics in the QA and CS world. It by no means represents all the bugs we're looking into, but instead new issues that I want you to know we are on top of.
  • PVP rewards window not displaying all of the items a user wins.

In Development
These items are actively being worked on by the at this time by the development team.
  • Vivox Voice Chat integration

In Design Discussions
The lead designers are currently discussing these features for implementation in an upcoming update
  • Marks, Emblems, Merit, economy overhaul
  • Adding open PVP melee areas to social maps (Andoria, Vulcan, Qo'noS, Rura Penthe)
  • Repurposing some Feature Episode maps as new PVP maps
  • Combining Marks and Emblems to a single scaled currency system
  • Adding leaderboards

Long Term
Designs and features being considered for updates further in the future
  • Fleet Starbases
  • More PVP Maps
  • Ability to construct new ships at Starbases
  • Territory Control Game

Reminder: Just because something on the list doesn't mean it isn't being looked at or being worked on. If you have specific issues or questions about upcoming content, feel free to post your questions below.
The items highlighted in yellow are in answer to the following quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
Honestly I'd just be happy if lower level marks could be traded up to higher level ones......
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
As we learned from Marks of Honor and Emblems, adding incentives would only cause the wrong kinds to participate in matches.

IMHO the best way to get people to participate in PvP is to make it fun, not stressful. For instance Open PvP with Territorial PvP. And perhaps adjusting PvP so its less curbstompish.
only if gaining such things was based on simply participation as opposed to victory. give victory a purpose, give pvp meaning.win
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
That's not rewarding, thats score keeping.
You are rewarded for doing something - dealing damage or healing in PvP. Getting Emblems is a reward for a player.

Currently you are not rewarded for doing something in PvP. You are rewarded for being somewhere in PvP.

Territory Control is not inherently a reward. So what, I have territory. Great. Can I do anything with it? If the answer is yes, then there is a reward, if there is not, it's a larger Capture & Hold.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Now you're just trivializing everything. Lets hear your ideas to get new blood in PvP since everything I say isn't good enough for the community.

Step up!
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Now you're just trivializing everything. Lets hear your ideas to get new blood in PvP since everything I say isn't good enough for the community.
I am not sure you are making sense or maybe i wasn't making sense to you.

My point was:
Getting something for dealing lots of damage, getting kills, or healing is a reward scheme. Score-Keeping is just a number on the board. Getting something for achieving a number on a board is a reward.

Controlling a territory is just a fancier form of score-keeping. Of course that territory needs to have its own, innate meaning.

And while I ultimately want territory control and I have posted plenty of suggestions on that before and will probably in the future, until we get territory control or until I give up - it won't be there for the next 12 months or so.
But coming up with a few additional PvP missions that give Emblems and maybe add a frigging new map should be something that is possible within the next 3 months. I want to play STO and PvP in STO for the next 3 months and for the next 12 months. That's why I got this damn blue name, but if no one is there for the next 12 months because nothing whatsover was added to PvP in the meantime what am I gonna do? Farming exploration missions, stopping the Borg finding artifacts of their 3rd dynasty?

Quote:
Step up!

Yeah, been there, done that.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-25-2011, 12:40 AM
I know you "stepped up", I was being figurative, not literal. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am not sure you are making sense or maybe i wasn't making sense to you.

My point was:
Getting something for dealing lots of damage, getting kills, or healing is a reward scheme. Score-Keeping is just a number on the board. Getting something for achieving a number on a board is a reward.

Controlling a territory is just a fancier form of score-keeping. Of course that territory needs to have its own, innate meaning.

And while I ultimately want territory control and I have posted plenty of suggestions on that before and will probably in the future, until we get territory control or until I give up - it won't be there for the next 12 months or so.
But coming up with a few additional PvP missions that give Emblems and maybe add a frigging new map should be something that is possible within the next 3 months. I want to play STO and PvP in STO for the next 3 months and for the next 12 months. That's why I got this damn blue name, but if no one is there for the next 12 months because nothing whatsover was added to PvP in the meantime what am I gonna do? Farming exploration missions, stopping the Borg finding artifacts of their 3rd dynasty?
Trust me, I know that is boring beyond relief, and so is PvPing in the same blasted arenas over and over again.

Someone should right now, go on Tribble's Foundry, make a generic PvP map and tell Cryptic, "Here, you like? Then Import the sucker!"

Heck, I think new types of PvP would be fun as well. Like integrating support where you got someone staying at a console opening force field doors, directing a team towards an objective or the oppsing team would add some much needed flavor.

Or Space PvP with a Command Ship, directing people on player's movements. You know, something that lousy PvPers could pull off with ease.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-25-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm not particularly well informed or creative but it's pretty easy to identify the ideas that I like over those that I don't. I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that every idea Mustrum has stepped up with has been well thought out, clearly explained, and hasn't been singularly self serving.

So thank you for stepping up.