Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
Looks incredibly cheap and weird; also completely out of place. Given we're paying for this thing, can't we get some art at least as nice looking as the old in-game mission reward ones?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Looks incredibly cheap and weird; also completely out of place. Given we're paying for this thing, can't we get some art at least as nice looking as the old in-game mission reward ones?
...because you can still get that one?

Plus, there were several different versions of the Type-2 Phaser - the most prominent being the 'blue body, black handle' version (the mission reward one) and the 'black body', white handle' one (the new C-Store one).

A photo of replicas of both versions, for comparison's sake

So yeah, it's really cool that we've actually got cosmetic variants of the Type-2. Honestly, it's the one faultless thing in this new C-Store pack, and I hope we get more items like it in future.

(...such as all the other different phaser styles - TMP, TNG, TUC, DS9, VOY, NEM, etc.! )
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Shepherd
...because you can still get that one?
So put the ugly art on that one. If I'm paying $20 for a "bundle" that includes a new one, I expect it to be the prettier one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
So put the ugly art on that one. If I'm paying $20 for a "bundle" that includes a new one, I expect it to be the prettier one.
Give the "ugly" one to a boff you don't like :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
Give the "ugly" one to a boff you don't like :p
You can get as many as you want, actually, so I'd like to give em to all my BOFFs. I just want them to look like real phasers and not paper mache toys.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Is this the part where I point out that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'?
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
You can get as many as you want, actually, so I'd like to give em to all my BOFFs. I just want them to look like real phasers and not paper mache toys.
I don't see what the problem is with the look - it's exactly the same model, but with colours from the other main variant from the shows.

Unless, of course, you think the prop from the shows looks like papier maché, in which case 'your mileage may vary'...

Besides, if you bought the entire TOS pack, the phaser's a VERY small part of it.

IMO, the new phaser's possibly the only thing I truly LIKE out of the new stuff - all the other bits are really, really flawed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezhno View Post
Is this the part where I point out that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'?
No, this is the part where they go back and put some decent art on the item. It doesn't even look like the genuine "white handle" variant posted above. It just looks like somebody didn't have any time to finish skinning it, so they left it half-done and called it "Black and White" instead.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
I don't see what the problem is with the look - it's exactly the same model, but with colours from the other main variant from the shows.

Unless, of course, you think the prop from the shows looks like papier maché, in which case 'your mileage may vary'...

Besides, if you bought the entire TOS pack, the phaser's a VERY small part of it.

IMO, the new phaser's possibly the only thing I truly LIKE out of the new stuff - all the other bits are really, really flawed.
What's wrong with everything else?

Quote:
No, this is the part where they go back and put some decent art on the item.
Now you're just flaming. I'm wondering if you've watched the original series because, as has been stated, this is a common variant often seen within it. You don't want it to look like a toy? Dare I ask what you think of the original series phaser rifle... They look like toys because they were meant to be sold as toys; and they were. Even the Next Generation era weapons were sold as such. They looked like cheap plastic blocks in the show, and cheap plastic replicas were sold as toys.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Quote:
It doesn't look like the one posted above; just looks like the "Type 1" part of it, and other bits, have no skin at all on the "white" parts. If there was something on those parts and it was just white, maybe it would be ok, but there are parts of it that are "white" which clearly aren't in the "real thing."