Lt. Commander
# 11
03-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
No...more like missions like having Beavis and Butthead join Starfleet. Nonsense like that.
A mission like that shouldnt make it through the review process and would be reported as a violation of using characters from outside the IP. If a mission like that does somehow get through, people should report it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
Your not one of those people who are bitter because Cryptic did what they said from the beginning about not copying the Tribble missions to Holodeck are you?
Not at all. My entire intent with Foundry on Tribble was to familiarize myself with the program; the missions were designed to be throwaways. I plan on recreating the overall arc, but the missions will not be the same.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Can't say I am very excited about foundries launch. Yay, more single players quest with a multi player option. That you might have to spend lots of time sifting through to try and find a good one. For every good quest thats fun there will probably be ten or more bad ones.

I messed around with foundry a few hours. It seemed really limited, I didn't see way to do many things that would make quest far better. Like adding paths for NPC's to walk or ships to fly. Or objects like comets or debris with movement to make the environment seem alive.

I didn't see a way to add objects like crates for cover, or add destructible objects to harm enemies or your team. Or to destroy objects in space to stop them from doing damage to other objects.

Or a way to have NPC's engaging each other. Like a group of Klingon NPC's moving toward a stationary group of Federation NPC's. When they got in aggro range they would fight.

I also couldn't find a way to have the environment effect you and other objects. Like making the gravity lighter like the Reman quest in Romulan space. Or adding a Tyken's rift effect to objects like damaged ships. Pulling them into another object like a moon.

I had problems trying to add specific ships like a Jem'hadar battle ship it just gave me True Way battle ships and some would be Galors.

Or to dress NPC's in certain outfits to give a place a certain feel like a time frame.

I think foundry could have great potential. I just think it needs many more features.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
<snipped>
Valid points, but I would counsel patience, padawan.

Give the devs time to deploy the additional artwork to the Foundry. In the meantime, authors should use what they have available to the the limits of their imagination to generate good quality, storied content.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
Valid points, but I would counsel patience, padawan.

Give the devs time to deploy the additional artwork to the Foundry. In the meantime, authors should use what they have available to the the limits of their imagination to generate good quality, storied content.
It wasn't meant as a demand for it to be meet right away. A lot of the quest I want to make can't really be made at this time. Without really limiting my story and making them, just read this and go kill that, you can only choose from this.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I know of no better way to prove to Cryptic that there's a point to them investing in the Foundry, than making Foundry missions. Eventually my content will be there despite having to re-work my story ideas to the limits of the tool.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
Can't say I am very excited about foundries launch. Yay, more single players quest with a multi player option. That you might have to spend lots of time sifting through to try and find a good one. For every good quest thats fun there will probably be ten or more bad ones.
Actually, the review and rating systemis fairly good even though it's not robust, it's pretty easy to find the good missions.

I've found just going down the Hot list is a bit easier than the Top Rated list, since the Top Rated list is regularly stuffed with brand new missions that the author ran once and gave himself a 5 on, but the Hot list is missions people are playing the most.

Websites like starbaseugc.com help a lot, but I've had no problem going from mission to mission on Tribble and the majority were quite good.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Is the Foundry still on track for March 28th? I haven't seen any official word that the date is firm.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-25-2011, 09:46 AM
The Foundry is now in final internal testing ON HOLODECK - so our QA team is now creating test missions using last night's build update. So far we are on track for the Monday release. This is a big technical switchover as well so we have a lot of coordination going on with our Network Operations team since the Foundry requires a new integrated server farm in order for people to edit and publish missions into the real game.

As with any launch of a big feature, we'll be watching closely and if anything does arise, we have our software gurus on tap to make sure the release goes as smoothly as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
[snip] I've found just going down the Hot list is a bit easier than the Top Rated list, since the Top Rated list is regularly stuffed with brand new missions that the author ran once and gave himself a 5 on, but the Hot list is missions people are playing the most. [snip]
I have never been able to give a star rating for any of my own missions. I'm pretty doubtful the developers would have allowed people to rate their own missions.