Lt. Commander
# 31
03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Nope. Public or nothing.

I _think_ there may be a workaround where you publish to a fake name for testing and 1-star acquisition; then you can import the tested project into a new one and publish accordingly.
I would hope so. People tend to be quite generous in downrating missions already for technical details out of the authors control. I would hate to spend a lot of time working on a mission only to have it immediately downrated only because it wasn't done yet and publishing was the only way I had to verify that it was all correct.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm excited, Been waiting to finish up my story arc!!
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-25-2011, 10:31 AM
make sure you add a daily Foundry Quest that awards a few Emblems, and i will make sure to play a Foundry Mission every day

otherwise i have no time for that nonesense, need 500 Emblems for MVAM ...now!

PS: played the Big Dig yesterday, took forever and only getting 3 Emblems for that was a joke, should have been more like 15 Emblems

...what?

ah Foundry! yeah right...

well hmm... i have screwed arround with it on Tribble a little (enough to understand that i will never make a good mission with this ^^ ),
i just can't wrap my brain arround that 2D low res map interface, i realy need to SEE what i'm doing, i hope some day we can place stuff in the 3D view and have some gravity in it so that a table will actually stand on the ground and not only be placed in X Y Z coordinates so that it flows i the air if your coordinates are off... or is underground or whatever.

Think Fallout 3 / New Vegas, you can GRAB any item and just carry it arround, place it somewhere you like, save the game and next time you load or get there after 20 hours of gameplay the item will be in the exact same position. Well it does not need to be exactly like that in STO, but when i place a table it should snap to the ground and i would like to actually SEE it,

I think i could even work with a 2D Interface if it would actually show the item as a 2D picture, more then a green ...field on a low res 2D minimap.

Make High Res minimaps where i can actually SEE the Map details, make 2D pics for every item, make it SNAP where it should... and 50% of what stops me from using it would be gone.

But i think rendering it in 3D with a free camera, so that i can fly arround the Map, and dynamically modify stuff... would be the better easier way (making good looking 2D images of every art asset would be a constant PITA, a 3D view that updates your changes would be a one time thing).

but thats only me, if people can work like that, good for you, i'm going to play your missions anyway ...just hope i get some Emblems for it
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The Foundry is now in final internal testing ON HOLODECK - so our QA team is now creating test missions using last night's build update. So far we are on track for the Monday release. This is a big technical switchover as well so we have a lot of coordination going on with our Network Operations team since the Foundry requires a new integrated server farm in order for people to edit and publish missions into the real game.

As with any launch of a big feature, we'll be watching closely and if anything does arise, we have our software gurus on tap to make sure the release goes as smoothly as possible.
Can't get much more official than that! Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
well hmm... i have screwed arround with it on Tribble a little (enough to understand that i will never make a good mission with this ^^ ),
i just can't wrap my brain arround that 2D low res map interface, i realy need to SEE what i'm doing, i hope some day we can place stuff in the 3D view and have some gravity in it so that a table will actually stand on the ground and not only be placed in X Y Z coordinates so that it flows i the air if your coordinates are off... or is underground or whatever.
Wait...they only give you one 2D view for placement in 3D space?
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
Wait...they only give you one 2D view for placement in 3D space?
That's right.

Oh, and the Horizontal plane is measured by X and Z instead of X and Y.

Good thing is, you can hit 'Play Map' at any point to see how things work. You may also be able to use a dev command to fly freely through the entire map.

However, using /loc to determine your actual location will not be straightforward, as they recently changed the scale betwen game and designer.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
That's right.

Oh, and the Horizontal plane is measured by X and Z instead of X and Y.

Good thing is, you can hit 'Play Map' at any point to see how things work. You may also be able to use a dev command to fly freely through the entire map.

However, using /loc to determine your actual location will not be straightforward, as they recently changed the scale betwen game and designer.
...I don't know what to say to that. Granted I haven't used too many UGC tools, but every one I have used for 3D work has given me a grid for each axis plus a 3D space window to move it, see it pre-rendered, and give full camera control to look around. Compiling it into the game to actually walk around was something you did afterwards to check lighting and other stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
...I don't know what to say to that. Granted I haven't used too many UGC tools, but every one I have used for 3D work has given me a grid for each axis plus a 3D space window to move it, see it pre-rendered, and give full camera control to look around. Compiling it into the game to actually walk around was something you did afterwards to check lighting and other stuff.
As far as I know, they're working on a better 3D designer for some indeterminate point in the future.

One concern with the 2D designer is it's apparently holding back other design requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
We're trying to figure out the best way to represent rotation on every axis in a 2D map editor.
The current situation is imperfect, but the in-engine render is fast enough to get the job done.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-25-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm really looking forward to the the foundry going live. Like Roach I waited for it to go live before I kicked around too much with it. I like playing with test server, but I didn't want to design a mission I couldn't save.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The Foundry is now in final internal testing ON HOLODECK - so our QA team is now creating test missions using last night's build update. So far we are on track for the Monday release. This is a big technical switchover as well so we have a lot of coordination going on with our Network Operations team since the Foundry requires a new integrated server farm in order for people to edit and publish missions into the real game.

As with any launch of a big feature, we'll be watching closely and if anything does arise, we have our software gurus on tap to make sure the release goes as smoothly as possible.
Not to sound rude but.....expect the server to die right? Hey, I'm just going by the "Hope for the best, prepare for the worse."

I for one am very excited! I can't wait to make my 2-3 part mission about the backstory of my two main characters (KDF vs Fed)