Lt. Commander
# 51
03-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
That's part of it, but can that result in different outcomes as per the example I posted?
I missed that but:
Quote:
The first two options are either to respond to the Klingons or ignore their hail. If you ignore their hail, you'd go right into combat with them. If you take the hail, then you'll be informed about the Ambassador. Now you have the option to confront the Ambassador, hand him over, or fight the Klingons.
Branching objectives aren't implemented yet.

However, there are two ways being discussed (either branching the story editor or allowing for stuff to spawn, outside of the story, based on dialogue - like a forcefield or a mob).

The best you can do is add unnecessary elements have those not required by the mission logic: ii.e. have a goal to get from point A to B and different routes that either have or don't have mobs.
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I missed that but:

Branching objectives aren't implemented yet.

However, there are two ways being discussed (either branching the story editor or allowing for stuff to spawn, outside of the story, based on dialogue - like a forcefield or a mob).

The best you can do is add unnecessary elements have those not required by the mission logic: ii.e. have a goal to get from point A to B and different routes that either have or don't have mobs.
I see. That's too bad. Guess I'll be waiting for a while to get involved with it then.
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Quote:
I see. That's too bad. Guess I'll be waiting for a while to get involved with it then.
Don't get me wrong: you can make a non-linear mission, you just can't have objective branching yet.
Lt. Commander
# 54
03-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Don't get me wrong: you can make a non-linear mission, you just can't have objective branching yet.
How can you make it non-linear if you can't branch it? It's still a linear mission if all you can do is just make optional corridors that go to the same place that might have different stuff in them. It's just slightly more repeatable that way.

I mean, my mission might end right there if you hand the Ambassador over.
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
How can you make it non-linear if you can't branch it? It's still a linear mission if all you can do is just make optional corridors that go to the same place that might have different stuff in them. It's just slightly more repeatable that way.

I mean, my mission might end right there if you hand the Ambassador over.
Last I checked, having one path that involves combat and one path that doesn't means there are two paths or more (i.e. not one line).

The objective can't branch but that's not the same thing as making linear missions (i.e. exploration clusters are notoriously linear corridors - something you can avoid in the Foundry by making alternate paths).

I had a Federation Mission where players had two routes breaking into a prison on Rura Penthe:
  • a difficult one involving traversing a chasm in the snow via a catwalk and moving your boffs safely across without falling and aggroing the KDF guards
  • the direct, combat oriented route where you fight wave after wave of KDF guards

There was only one objective: get to the door but that doesn't meant that there was just one path. The players got to choose how they accomplished their goal.
Lt. Commander
# 56
03-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Last I checked, having one path that involves combat and one path that doesn't means there are two paths or more (i.e. not one line).

The objective can't branch but that's not the same thing as making linear missions (i.e. exploration clusters are notoriously linear corridors - something you can avoid in the Foundry by making alternate paths).
That's true, but you're not saying they can be different in any meaningful way. You're saying one can have a mob, the other won't. That's not so much a branching path as a different lane.

Edit:

Your example changes that. I stand corrected.
Lt. Commander
# 57
03-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Quote:
That's true, but you're not saying they can be different in any meaningful way. You're saying one can have a mob, the other won't. That's not so much a branching path as a different lane.
I edited my post, see the example mission above.

The idea that you can let players choose which route to take was part of my mission: whether they wanted stealth play or direct combat. While it's not allowing players to chose their end goal, it does allow them to choose how they get to that goal.

A good author can make a lot of things seem possible, even if there is only one goal - it lets the players create sub-goal to get there (i.e. moving boffs safely across the narrow catwalk was a challenge, having you consider where they were, lest the guards get triggered).

I had hoped to get wandering mobs available too on the map, so as to allow players to time their movements to the catwalk while the KDF guards had dispersed down the mountain.
Lt. Commander
# 58
03-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Quote:
I edited my post, see the example mission above.

The idea that you can let players choose which route to take was part of my mission: whether they wanted stealth play or direct combat. While it's not allowing players to chose their end goal, it does allow them to choose how they get to that goal.

A good author can make a lot of things seem possible, even if there is only one goal - it lets the players create sub-goal to get there (i.e. moving boffs safely across the narrow catwalk was a challenge, having you consider where they were, lest the guards get triggered).

I had hoped to get wandering mobs available too on the map, so as to allow players to time their movements to the catwalk while the KDF guards had dispersed down the mountain.
Yeah, I edited my post also to reflect your edit.

How does it apply to space areas? They're open areas so there is no real way to corral people down one or two specific paths.
Lt. Commander
# 59
03-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I edited my post also to reflect your edit.

How does it apply to space areas? They're open areas so there is no real way to corral people down one or two specific paths.
Space is definitely a challenge. The best you could do is a planet in the middle with mobs outside sensor range, depending on the route you take. This is very limited compared to ground.

I do wish:
  • mobs could be hidden from the minimap (i.e. cloaked vessels being cloak); best you can do is have them spawn after objectives
  • or that alternate objectives could be assigned based on dialogue choice
  • or even the altenrate objectives based on class (where it's complete 1 out of 3 choices)
Lt. Commander
# 60
03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Not to sound rude but.....expect the server to die right? Hey, I'm just going by the "Hope for the best, prepare for the worse."

I for one am very excited! I can't wait to make my 2-3 part mission about the backstory of my two main characters (KDF vs Fed)
The concept of those characters (if used in a PUBLISHED foundry mission) will belong to Cryptic (or is it Atari) if you do so. Just letting you know. So think carefully if you want to do that...