Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnut View Post
While this may change in the future, so far there has been little to zero talk of a expansion that would require real world money to similar to almost every MMO on the market including WOW. If having a thriving C-Store helps prevent Cryptic from doing this and lock areas of the galaxy unless you have an expansion I am all for it. Right now that seems to be the trend with Cryptic's current IPs
Im not sure why you would be so pleased about that. I for one would rather have to pay £15 every 6 months/12 for an expansion and have all the stuff in the c-store for free.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
Im not sure why you would be so pleased about that. I for one would rather have to pay £15 every 6 months/12 for an expansion and have all the stuff in the c-store for free.
Because some people don't want to have everything in the C-Store {gasp}.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
15 bucks is a bit cheap for an expansion. Try twice that.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
So you would rather be required to buy an expansion to gain access to content and be able to level to max level but get some neat looking stuff than not have to buy anything and gain access to all content and then if you feel like it buy items that you want?
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
15 bucks is a bit cheap for an expansion. Try twice that.
15 pounds, he is from across the pound. Even $30 dollars is cheap $39.99 seems to be the going rate for a new expansion on release date.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I'd love to be able to craft C-store items!

Oh and those talking about an expansion for STO, it's not happening. Cryptic told everyone long ago that they aren't going to bother selling expansions.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I'd love to be able to craft C-store items!

Oh and those talking about an expansion for STO, it's not happening. Cryptic told everyone long ago that they aren't going to bother selling expansions.
Part of that reason is because of there model of using C-Store items for additional income that then gets used to pay for the creation of said C-Store items and new free content.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
I really don't think this is going to help anything. There are booster packs in game as well, they just drop rarely.

I'm really surprised the way they've done the Delta Flyer issue. I haven't actually tried to mission, but it seems fairly straight forward and to get it within roughly 12 days is a deal.

I think every MMO nowadays does a C-Store style of gig and so Cryptic/Atari doing this should come as no surprise. I don't know what the profit margins are on 15/month and I assume that they are still relatively high with enough players due to the price staying consistent (competition helps, but somebody like WoW might be in a position to try to raise the price if they saw fit. Nevertheless, it staying a consistent 15 a month makes companies want to look elsewhere for larger profits.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Like many players, I am disapointed that certain items are available in the c-store that are not available elsewhere, and even more disapointed that certain things (such as increased XP) can now be purchased.

The dev team told us that they would never put something in the C-store that would give you an advantage over others, is the ability to BUY increased xp (pretty much comparable to just purchasing XP) not giving players who use such a service an advantage over others?

Why cant this feature be in the game for completing certain missions or having a 'rested' xp bonus similar to WoW.

I know that xp isnt really an issue for the fed side, but it can make all the difference to playing a KDF character.

The C-store needs to walk a fine line, and I think it has definitly been crossed, I am dissapointed that the dev team feels it is ok to allow players with more money than others, to simply buy thier XP.

What do others think about this?
I agree with the OP. I am a big fan of STO and play all the time. In the past I have been pretty neutral on the C-Store. However, I feel that now more resources than before are going into content that is only available in the store. We have been told that the STO Dev team is small and that their resources have to be used wisely. Yet it seems that all the twitter and marketing buzz for STO as of late has been about items the Dev team is making for the C-Store.

It seems that more and more the cost to play STO is the monthly sub fee AND the cost of new items in the C-store. And I know people will say that you donít have to buy stuff (and I donít.) but the dual payment system will have some players who feel left out if they donít have the cash to pay an extra $15 for this monthís new toy. This will leave the community somewhat fractured and some people feeling disgruntled because they donít have enough money to enjoy the game as much as people with more money.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Like many players, I am disapointed that certain items are available in the c-store that are not available elsewhere, and even more disapointed that certain things (such as increased XP) can now be purchased.

The dev team told us that they would never put something in the C-store that would give you an advantage over others, is the ability to BUY increased xp (pretty much comparable to just purchasing XP) not giving players who use such a service an advantage over others?

Why cant this feature be in the game for completing certain missions or having a 'rested' xp bonus similar to WoW.
It's available as a rare drop, if I recall. Isn't that in-game?