Lt. Commander
If you open an email or any internet link containing something titled along the lines of "Bid Laden Captured,Killed,etc" your computer will be completely destroyed.

From what I've understood this virus attack originates from a Middle Eastern location with the sole purpose of destroying our (US) computers.

Please pass the word about this to the people you know.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Go me for absolutely never checking my e-mail.

Yay for irresponsibility!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
is this virus racist then? does it only attack US computers? are we European folk ok?

and hasn't this been out for about 6 years?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
Go me for absolutely never checking my e-mail.

Yay for irresponsibility!
Haha !

*cheers*
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
is this virus racist then? does it only attack US computers? are we European folk ok?

To be honest I have no idea at the moment if Europe is at risk at all email wise, but I'd assume any general internet link with something like said title wouldn't be a good thing to open.

And this is a new virus to my knowledge, not the weak one that hit 6 years ago that most people have forgotten about.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo

While you guys are still vulnerable to it, the nature of the virus means you are less likely to get the hoax-email containing it.

IP addresses are generated based on zone then region and finally country. If you wanted to target just one country you could your mass-email and virus to only go for IP addresses within the range of a country's possible IP's.

This is why I love my Onion Router.

Now I'm here, an hour from now it could and has said my IP is in China... which is of course false.

Quote:
And this is a new virus to my knowledge, not the weak one that hit 6 years ago that most people have forgotten about.
Yeah, "Nimda" as it was called. That one actually resurfaced for a while and gave us computer/networking folks a royal pain. It killed your GUI interface but that was about it and generally could be repaired.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Do you have a source for this "new" hysteria?

There have been Bin Laden hoax email viruses since 2004.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Well, U.S. computers then.

Good thing my computers 100% Canadian.

*Computers explodes spraying bacon, syrup and snow everywhere.*

Oh take off.

eh.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Igloos have electrical outlets? Outstanding.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
The fact that these emails get sent out doesnt really surprise me. That there are STILL people without the self control to avoid clicking on such emails and/or opening their attachments??? Mind boggling....