Lt. Commander
# 1 Other Star Trek Video Games
03-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey guys as much as I like Trek this is actually the first Trek video game I've played. None of the other games on the PC or consoles has ever entered my radar. I think the last game that had good buzz was that voyager FPS that came out a few years ago. I'm sure I ignored it partly because of my dislike of Voyager but time has made me soft so I'm kinda tempted to look it up.

Are there any Trek PC or Console games that are worth hunting down? Any input would be appriciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2011, 08:02 PM
The fps game you're thinking of is Elite Force. I'd recommend Elite Force 2 if you go that route, 1 is a bit too behind on the graphics to enjoy. The plots are entirely separate.

I also liked the Armada series. They're rts and people still play them today. Bridge Commander is held in high regard, but I haven't gotten a hold of that one yet, myself.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Armada 1: was really good but suffers from wonky sound glitches on systems older than XP easily fixed by turning off hardware acceleration. The Borg seemed too much an "I win" button

Armada 2: Good, but has an odd vibe. Lots of awesome ships, most of which I hope appear in game, primarily their Romulan variations, very cool. Super weapons are less of a threat... but the 8472 (Undine) are almost unkillable in mid to late game, you have to rush them. Problem is this game is hella rare and a copy will run you like 200 USD on Amazon I got mine cheap because it was a bundle with Armada 1 and Voyager Elite Force 1 and 2.

Voyager Elite Force: Good for any Trek fan, not just voyager. Played exactly like the first Half-Life.

Voyager Elite Force 2: Actually has some Enterprise E missions and some diabolical weaponry like a double-barrel repeating Compression Rifle. Again, a VERY rare game, but worth it.

Bridge Commander: Everything I was STO was. 3D combat, fast paced and can be modded to look 100% like a modern game. Even has ship dismemberment.

Legacy: Mixed bag. Most hate it, I enjoyed it once I modded it. Specifically the Trek Battles 2 mod made it better. You can put in the Narada, Planet Killer, Kelvin, JJ-Prise, Scimitar, etc. Its shortcomings can be easily drowned out by watching Narada torps shredding a ship or a Scimitar vaporizing a Sovereign.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Oh, I might also add that you should make sure to poke around before you buy anything and make sure that it isn't about to be released online imminently for a low price. I know GOG.com has Activision titles. They might suddenly throw all the Trek games up there for sale in a couple months.
-giggles a bit with hope-
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Elite Force 1 and 2 are great games, lots of fun to play. I think 2 is the better of the pair. The first also has an expansion that you can only get in a came combo-pack with EF1, Armada, and I forget the other game... anyway, it's really hard to find. Most of the old trek games are.

Armada 1 and 2 aren't bad. Personally, I think the best part of these two is all the mods people have made for them over the years. I'd recommend checking out the Fleet Operations mod of you get either of these.

Bridge Commander is sort of comes down to a starship simulator. You fly one ship, and you fight a bunch of other ships in 3D combat. This is another one that people have modded like crazy to make it fantastic.

Legacy I still have mixed feelings about. It was a big disappointed in my opinion, you command four ship, combat is a bit similar to STO in that it's not entirely 3D (you can go up and down, you just can't make that full 360 loop). Again, like pretty much all the other old trek games, mods are all over the place to add a ton of player content, mostly more ships.

The Starfleet Command games are fun. They're pretty old, the first two we're made by Interplay so you know they're pretty old. No Z-axis combat is a bit simplistic, but the combat is different enough from other Trek games to hold an appeal of its own in my opinion.

New Worlds isn't that great in my opinion. It's a ground base game, the first for the Trek game, but just feels like a very simple, generic rts.