Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
it has come to my attention that when you purchase the shuttles or receive them as in-game mission gifts, it uses up one of your PURCHASED ship slots. now i don't want to sound srude, but I am livid that i spent good money purchasing about four slots for my enventual command ships at Commander, Captain, Rear Admiral and Vice Admiral, but now I( only have one slot left.

The have been taken away by the Captain's yacht, the Type F shuttle and the Type 8 Shuttle from the Cloaked Inentions series.

Why can't Cryptic make it where it is like in Need for Speed, that when you purchase a car(or are gift one), it comes with a free garage(or in this case ship dock slot)? I do know that you can dismiss some of these items and request them back from a requisition officer, but we should not have to! Anyone else agree?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
A slot with every purchased ship was suggested a long time ago, and as you might imagine, it had no response from Cryptic, though the Cloaked intentions shuttle does actually come with a slot to be fair.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Would be nice for Shuttles to start taking up seperate ship slots. But Cryptic has a finite limits regarding data storage space and they have to charge for players taking up that extra space.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2011, 11:31 PM
you don't have to keep lower tier ships, the yacht can be claimed when you need it, same with any C-store bought ship. The one free shuttle (a required item, at least a shuttle) came with a slot, you don't even need the shuttle, you can use any other, but still get a free slot. You get a free slot with the 200 day veteran reward also.

There is no problem unless you need to horde ships.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Aye, each ship and boff is itemised, so stored sort of like a character I would guess. That makes storage space a premium, just like in Guild wars.
Oh wait
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-25-2011, 11:44 PM
I think shuttles should not take up ship slots period. Each ship should have space in its shuttle bays for X amount of shuttles. The larger your ship the more shuttles it can carry.

This is far too logical for the bean counters, though. They want you to buy more ship slots, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13_X
it has come to my attention that when you purchase the shuttles or receive them as in-game mission gifts, it uses up one of your PURCHASED ship slots. now i don't want to sound srude, but I am livid that i spent good money purchasing about four slots for my enventual command ships at Commander, Captain, Rear Admiral and Vice Admiral, but now I( only have one slot left.

The have been taken away by the Captain's yacht, the Type F shuttle and the Type 8 Shuttle from the Cloaked Inentions series.

Why can't Cryptic make it where it is like in Need for Speed, that when you purchase a car(or are gift one), it comes with a free garage(or in this case ship dock slot)? I do know that you can dismiss some of these items and request them back from a requisition officer, but we should not have to! Anyone else agree?
Based on your comments I'm going to guess you haven't leveled up completely yet. You get a ship slot with every rank so you can accommodate the new ship you get. The ship slots you bought will be above and beyond the ones you get for your higher end ships.

In short, you don't need to buy more slots. When you level you'll get another.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-26-2011, 12:21 AM
The reason they take slots has nothing to do with shuttle space on board our larger ships and more to do with server space. As far as the server is concerned a shuttle takes up practically the same space as any other player controlled ship, and considering the sheer number of things that need to be kept track of for each player character it can get a bit space intensive.

Look at it this way. A game like LOTRO has to record the stats and appearance of the player character. Most of the appearance comes from stuff like armor and weapons, which is the same for anyone using that item (besides coloring options which is relatively minor) A STO PC involves the captain, their armor and gear, their facial features and body build, (much more robust than most games right there) their uniform(s), and skill points/powers. Then it must also do this for each and every bof the captain has, every ship, (and bridge) every shuttle, and so on.

Take my main (probably a bad example since I have paid to get more slots, but it is fresh in my mind) My main captain has 12 costume slots in use, 14 different bofs, and no less than 10 ships and five shuttles. In nothing but cosmetic details that is ~40 completely different avatars to keep track of. That is quite a bit more information than is required by my LOTRO Captain or my Assassin in Guild Wars. It's simple necessity to have ships and bofs take up limited slots.

Oh, and OP - you do still get more slots as you rank up for free.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbit
Aye, each ship and boff is itemised, so stored sort of like a character I would guess. That makes storage space a premium, just like in Guild wars.
Oh wait
Every ship and bridge officer is equal to one character in Guild Wars. STO uses a lot more storage capacity than Guild Wars.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Every ship and bridge officer is equal to one character in Guild Wars. STO uses a lot more storage capacity than Guild Wars.
A ship is like gear. A boff is like Guild wars Hero. There is more personal gear on a GW character than a STO one, and there are somehwere in the region of 1000 powers per character in GW. Each GW character has (I think) 14 Heroes, all of which have equal gear to a player character and their own power set.

Now are you really sure that storage cost is the reason for limited ship slots?