Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Just a few pointers:
1. Do you really need more than 1 shuttle?
2. Do you really need all the end game ships?
3. Do you really need any ships below your current rank?

Well, for most peole, the answer is 'no' to 1 & 2, but they may keep 1 or 2 select ships from the lower tiers becuase they look nice.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-28-2011, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
Just a few pointers:

Well, for most peole, the answer is 'no' to 1 & 2, but they may keep 1 or 2 select ships from the lower tiers becuase they look nice.
And yet nearly three quarters of players polled want the option of buying account-wide slots.

Maybe it's not just about virtual items.

Maybe it's about perceived fairness.

In a game where players are encouraged to reroll alts instead of participate in a meaningful endgame, maybe these same players would rather the financial investment they made in one character be available to all.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
And yet nearly three quarters of players polled want the option of buying account-wide slots.

In a game where players are encouraged to reroll alts instead of participate in a meaningful endgame, maybe these same players would rather the financial investment they made in one character be available to all.
This.

I understand making players pay for extra slots, thats not really fine but acceptable considering the way the market is going in general, but they could at least make those slots account wide especially since the current content model encourages us to play with alts.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Each ship should come with a free shuttle slot at the very least.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post

QFT.

I can't understand how Cryptic expects this to work. They launch new ships on the C-store but refuse to give new slots with each purchase. Thus (as it is with my character) I won't buy anymore C-store ships because I'm out of space. So they have hit a ceiling with me, and it sounds like there are others as well.

The same also applies to their special BO offerings for featured episodes. If I don't have any more BO slots, WTH reason do I have to log on and play? might as well wait and play all their content for a year in one go rather than waste my time logging in every week.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
I can't understand how Cryptic expects this to work. They launch new ships on the C-store but refuse to give new slots with each purchase. Thus (as it is with my character) I won't buy anymore C-store ships because I'm out of space. So they have hit a ceiling with me, and it sounds like there are others as well.
Let me ask you something.

This first one is important. Are you a roleplayer? Because if you are, then you can ignore the rest of this post because it technically doesn't apply as much to you.

Secondly. How many different ship types are you spec'd for? As far as I'm aware, most people are spec'd for all of one ship type, making owning any other ship type a waste of space. If this is the case for you, you can safely dump any ship outside your spec, freeing up room. You have no gameplay-related reason to own any more than one ship type at any given time.

Thirdly. Do you discharge ships ever? The game gives you plenty of slots as you level assuming you only get one ship at each rank-up, ending up with a total of eight. If you only get one ship at each rank-up, you wind up with exactly six ships (not counting the free shuttle). The free shuttle and 200-day vet rewards come with additional slots, leaving you with a total of ten ship slots. Even if you don't have the 200-day vet reward, that's still nine.

All things considered, unless you're a roleplayer or a habitual pack-rat, you have no reason to need more ship slots than are provided at all. If by some freak chance you are neither of those types of person and do need more ship slots, they are available to you, at a fair cost.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
All things considered, unless you're a roleplayer or a habitual pack-rat, you have no reason to need more ship slots than are provided at all. If by some freak chance you are neither of those types of person and do need more ship slots, they are available to you, at a fair cost.
Yes, I am a roleplayer, and I discharge ships all the time. I still think you missed the point though.

The problem isnít how itís used in game, itís about getting your moneyís worth for these high priced items. If you are going to dump $15 to purchase a ship, the equivalent of a month subscription to another game, hell you can even BUY some games for that price, you better be able to use it on all characters. If you search the C-store now, I see 8 ships, 6 ship costumes, 2 shuttles, and 2 starter ships available for a total of 18 Fed ship options. If I can only use 10 of these ships max per character, why the hell does it make sense for me to buy more than 10 of these ships from the C-store?!

If Iím going to continue to get my moneyís worth on the next ship they throw out there, it needs to be usable by all characters regardless of how Iím specced or how many slots I have. I paid for the right to have that ship always available to me. But instead Iím stuck picking and choosing which ones I really want active. Maybe I use the ship on one character, which then begs the question Ė are any one of these ships, when used by only one or two of your characters, worth a 1 months sub to another MMO, or even a fresh new game?

Of course I could always shell out an additional $5 per character to make a few more ships worth the purchase, but if I have 5 characters thatís an extra $25 to make it a meaningful purchase. Thereís no way Iím even considering that. I love the game and all, but I can think of at least 10 other things that would keep me entertained for months for $40 (ship price plus ship slot price).

So I have no clue what Cryptic plans to do long term. I get the feeling they donít want to change anything because they know when it goes FTP, they are going to count heavily of LTS players to pay for something on top of the stipend. But unless someone can explain it to me, Iím completely baffled as to what is supposed to entice me to get new ships down the road.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
Just a few pointers:

Many of us are Trekkies so the answer to all three is a resounding yes. You can get inexcusably overpriced ship slots per-character though the explanation from Cryptic is that they use too much space and need to be sold per-character to compensate for the extra storage which is disingenuous to say the least. The real reason is that Atari really, really, wants your money at any cost.