Lt. Commander
# 1 dialog
03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
If I'd like your character to have a monologue or respond to npc's with more than one sentence, is that possible?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddommus View Post
If I'd like your character to have a monologue or respond to npc's with more than one sentence, is that possible?
Not at the moment, because the text space for buttons is so small. But you can get around this by typing a response IN the actual dialog box, and color it green. Then just put a note in the mission text that player response in green or something.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Be careful, though, what you put in other Captain's mouths.

But serously, writing dialog for a character that could be anything from a joking Ferengi to a grunty Klingon to a logical Vulkan both male and female (and some other genders if it's an Andorian) is really hard.
It's hard enough to write for BOFFs and players accept that BOFFs often say things the didn't intend them to say but for your own character...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Developers of computer RPG's have always had to write dialog for our characters, it's nothing new. However, when in writing the dialog-tree the author/dev has limited access to character-based variable, expect trouble!

If we had access to the character's gender, among other needed variables, and we could condition the appearance of dialog-nodes on the presence or absence of certain values in these character-variables then the dialog system would allow us to do a lot more.

Then, the question would be, how lazy of an author will you be? Would you settle for generic dialogs, or would you fine-tune your dialog-trees each and everyone of them to include every possible combination? Maybe then, people will gain an appreciation to the hard work dev-studios have to do to get RPG's to be the appealing experiences they are!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Right you are, LordOfPit.

And just to be clear here: Interesting dialog is always something to aim for. I just say it's actually harder than a lot of people think, to find a good balance between interesting dialog and dialog that would actually fit most characters.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
I just say it's actually harder than a lot of people think, to find a good balance between interesting dialog and dialog that would actually fit most characters.
Indeed, and with the current implementation of the Foundry, i.e. the number of dialog keyword tokens we have, we're more limited than most other toolkits out there. At least we're better off than the CoH/V UGC toolkit.

Lt. Commander
# 7
03-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Indeed, and with the current implementation of the Foundry, i.e. the number of dialog keyword tokens we have, we're more limited than most other toolkits out there. At least we're better off than the CoH/V UGC toolkit.

We're better off than other MMO UGC tools (barring open source ones) but less than mod tools for most non-MMO games.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor View Post
We're better off than other MMO UGC tools (barring open source ones) but less than mod tools for most non-MMO games.
Hopefully this will change post SWTOR, but I'm not holding my breath...