Career Officer
# 1881
10-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
With a set up like that you could always make a motorcycle pop out the back Knight Rider style.
I'm bad to run 2-wheeleed vehicles in circles...so... Trike!
Empire Veteran
# 1882
10-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Trikes rock. V block engines on some, HUGE rear wheels and long fork. Very fast and powerful but the cornering bites. Topple turkey if you vroooom the corners.

Heir to the high pony of holier than thou, Guardian of the Sacred Mallet of Thwarting, and giver of Baptismal raspberries since 02/02/2010
Empire Veteran
# 1883
10-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcapulet View Post
Trikes rock. V block engines on some, HUGE rear wheels and long fork. Very fast and powerful but the cornering bites. Topple turkey if you vroooom the corners.
Most trikes use straight axles too. Bad for the drive line because they have no diff and the rule that the outside tire goes faster than the inner tire still holds true on a trike. Only three wheeler I remotely like is the Can-Am Spyder where the extra wheel is at the front and not being over taxed by being tied to the drive line.

Don't get a trike because you think they are safer. Trikes come with their own challenges at the edges of their performance envelope. Loft the front tire on a trike and you have no steering control at all. At least on a bike you have a tiny bit as you can still lean. If you do loft a tire on either remember your toe brake and be sure to be gentle about the toe brake's application.

*Rambling aside warning*

Just leaning is terrible for corner control. Counter-steering is the only way a bike corners at speeds above 12-15 miles an hour, (to counter-steer you point the bars in the opposite direction you want to turn, that is how you get the physics of two independent gyros to work in your favor). Anyone who tells you otherwise is just a squid. I don't care if they have twelve million miles in the saddle. Look up Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist he covers lean and counter-steer. *Do NOT do this!* Or you can be a dumb arse like pi and let go of the bars of a motorcycle at around 40mph and lean to see just how much leaning actually steers the bike *just because pi is an idiot does not mean he wants others to copy his arse-hattery*. Most who think leaning actually corners do not realize that when they lean out they naturally pull the outer bar in thus they actually counter-steer the bike. A final note on counter-steer; a little dab will do ya. You can initiate significant counter steer with the pressure from one index finger. Don't ham-fist your steering control or you could get into a tank slapper.

*Rambling aside complete*

*And to tie the ramble into trikes*

Trikes have wheels that behave at the back like a car and a single wheel up front that wants to behave like a bike and use counter-steer. The front can't counter-steer because of the rear wheels so the front suspension is not always gonna work right when you have to deal with a mid-corner bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captan2er0 View Post
If you wanna put your nose in the wind and you are physically capable then get a bike. Counter-steering into a lean is half the fun of riding, (counter-steering is the trick behind the rapid lane change maneuver and yes if you counter-steer without initiating a lean the bike will naturally pitch over into a lean faster than if you initiate the lean yourself). If you have the misfortune of missing an appendage get a trike and if you get a trike get a Can-Am Spyder.

Besides the drivers aides on most of the newest bikes are almost transparent and very effective in increasing rider safety. Even with modern rider aides like traction control, anti-lock brakes, wheelie control, and launch control you can make huge mistakes like carrying too much heat into a corner, focusing on the wrong thing, (and crashing into it), or chopping the throttle mid corner only to find your bike traveling an even straighter line than you ever wanted. All are things that tend to happen when you realize your in trouble. So do us all a favor and take a motorcycle safety course if you intend to ride a bike or a trike.
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.

Last edited by piwright42; 10-22-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Career Officer
# 1884
10-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
How about we just slap a sidecar on it so you can take me along for the ride? Just make sure it has an ejector seat, just in case I see a bridge I want to bail out over.
Survivor of Romulus
# 1885
10-22-2012, 06:05 PM
I saw several Motor bikes with side cars this week. Also three very looking new trikes with the two wheels on the front. Bit cold in the rain and snow though.
Career Officer
# 1886
10-22-2012, 06:08 PM
A motorcycle is something I think I'd actually enjoy riding. I'm just a bit hesitant given my... track record... with bicycles and running into fences
Career Officer
# 1887
10-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Quote:
A motorcycle is something I think I'd actually enjoy riding. I'm just a bit hesitant given my... track record... with bicycles and running into fences
I think I would prefer you stick to trucks and buses! At least if someone hits you, you'll be fine. If someone hits you on a motorcycle, you're either going to be hurt very, very badly or dead. A few years ago just around the corner, a drunk in an SUV crossed the center line on the road and killed a local biker. This was around 9AM in the morning on a school day. Every year, you see flowers on the sidewalk and they put up his picture and a picture of his family on the post where he died.
Captain
# 1888
10-23-2012, 07:58 AM
I think thats what side cars are for... its trainning wheels camoflauge.. [helmut.. gloses leather jacket.. avoidign road rasberries~pricless
Beware of Cloaked Romulans Bering Gifts
Career Officer
# 1889
10-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Taspberries are just a small part of what can happen as a result of a motorcycle accident. Even the best of riding suits designed to protect riders only offer limited protection and at a very high price. I have ridden on a motorcycle and it is an awesome experience! A sidecar though looks like fun and does add a lot of stability to a bike. I have never known anyone with one so I haven't ever had the chance to ride in one.

My grandfather had one as a teen. My grandmother made him get rid of it when they got married. She was too paranoid to ride on the back and she hated riding in the sidecar. That was back in the late fourties, early fifties when I'm sure they were much safer due to the top speed of vehicles back then.
Captain
# 1890
10-23-2012, 05:19 PM