Lt. Commander
Hello All,

I just ordered a new PC:

CPU: Phenom II X6 1100T (6 x 3.3GHz - 9MB Cache)
Mother Board: Asus M4A78LT-M (With built in ATi Radeon HD3000 Video )
Ram: Patriot Memory Sector 5 G Series (16 GB)

I was asked by a friend why I bought 16 GB of memory when my OS (Win 7 Pro 32 bit) will only recognize 4 GB at max.

My reply to my friend was that just because the OS will only recognize 4 GB of ram doesnít mean that the games or programs running under said OS will not see and use the maximum about of ram installed in the system (Talking out of my backside)

I can build a computer; however, I still do not fully understand how hardware and software truly work together.

It was suggested to me that I upgrade my OS to Win 7 Pro 64bit to make better use of the amount of ram that my new system has.

I donít want to have to shell out another 125.00 bucks for a new OS if I donít have to; in fact, I can get a full licensed copy of Win 7 pro 64 from another friend for nothing.

I just donít want have to spend more money or call in a favor to get a new OS that might not make any difference to the way Iíll be using the system.

Iím just a gamer, not even a hard core gamer, I only use my computer for Gaming, netsurfing, streaming and downloading.

To be honest I only bought this new system because it was affordable and my other system is about 5 years old now (It still works fine for what I used it for) and Iím not really sure that I need all the things that I put in it

Iím hoping that the onboard video will let me see all the graphic detail that STO has to offer (I got tired of running into objects that my old onboard graphics card could not display)

Any advice on my OS problem will be greatly appreciated, also and advice on an affordable graphics card just in case the new onboard graphics turns out to be crap will be helpful.

Thanks for your time
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2011, 09:44 AM
The 32 bit is the problem.

That limits the number of addresses that can be assined to the memory, to about 4 billion memory sectors. so more than 4 billion bytes of memory can't be assigned addresses.

the limit with 64 bit is closer to 32 billion addresses.

this is a very rough idea of what is going on.

as for graphics... to really get a good image you need an graphics expansion card such as a nvidia Geforce 260 series or a ati Radion 4700 series. One of these should not cost much more than $100, probably would have been covedered if you had only bought 8 gig of ram.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2011, 10:07 AM
This isn't something that can't be solved with a training montage so I won't be of much help.

Either way, Hoplite is correct. Anything more then 4GB of RAM is pointless with a 32-bit OS.

As for graphics, I have a single card now, but one day soon(TM) will be getting an expansion card. But for most games out there you really only need the one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
What hop said. Plus if it comes down to a coin toss, I'd push you towards ati over nvidia. The nvidia drivers have been *terrible* for the last few years. They even broke STO for me with a few iterations, I kept having to roll back to drivers that were a year old so I could keep playing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
So now I need to get Windows 7 Pro 64..... well it could be worse
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post

That limits the number of addresses that can be assined to the memory, to about 4 billion memory sectors. so more than 4 billion bytes of memory can't be assigned addresses.

as for graphics... to really get a good image you need an graphics expansion card such as a nvidia Geforce 260 series or a ati Radion 4700 series. One of these should not cost much more than $100, probably would have been covedered if you had only bought 8 gig of ram.
Now your sounding like a computer Hop! Here, have some ram.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post

Thanks for the advice,

I was looking around and found this card:

Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 PCI-Express Graphics Card 100287VGAL

Is this card any good?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
What hop said. Plus if it comes down to a coin toss, I'd push you towards ati over nvidia. The nvidia drivers have been *terrible* for the last few years. They even broke STO for me with a few iterations, I kept having to roll back to drivers that were a year old so I could keep playing.
You might have just had some bad luck I would take Nvidia over anyone anyday. my bro got a ati card and it was comparable to the card I got but with a smaller price tag, but the drivers gave him so much grief he almost wanted to throw it away... Granted Im running a Gforce 9800 GT or GTX cant remember...this has been my experience. Nvidia cards cost more but run better then a comparable ati card.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
Thanks for the advice,

I was looking around and found this card:

Is this card any good?
Yeah that should do you proud, is basically a 47xx (for some reason the cards below the top three seem to be last gen equives) and is more than enough to cope with STO.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks again guys,

I just wanted to update anyone who cares about what's going on with my new system now.

I jumped the gun and cancelled my memory order with Amazon (it had not yet been processed)

It turns out that another friend has a full retail copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit that I can have

My big question now is:

Should I reorder the 16 GB of memory again now that I have and OS that can see all of it and more or just go with 8 GB?

I'm also going to pick up this video card:

Its got great reviews, runs on 350 watt power supply, can fully display every game shy of crysis 2 without any problems and it sells for under 70 bucks

Once again thank you all for help, I must remember to let you all evacuate your ships when my Carrier comes a calling :p