Lt. Commander
# 1 Accidental EULA infringement?
03-29-2011, 09:20 AM
My knowledge of Star Trek is limited to say the least. I have seen all of the movies, few of the TV show episodes and read none of the books. As such, I am concerned that I may accidentally use the name of an established character. There are only so many combination of letters you can use to make-up a name. SInce I doubt there is an all-encompassing database of every proper noun from all canon and soft cannon Star Trek properties, what am I to do?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryecrash View Post
My knowledge of Star Trek is limited to say the least. I have seen all of the movies, few of the TV show episodes and read none of the books. As such, I am concerned that I may accidentally use the name of an established character. There are only so many combination of letters you can use to make-up a name. SInce I doubt there is an all-encompassing database of every proper noun from all canon and soft cannon Star Trek properties, what am I to do?
There are some powerful databases out there like memory alpha, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you mistakenly call someone Harry Mudd, but the character is a Bolian....

What's the chance that you'll decide to make a blind African American chief of engineering and name him Geordi LaForge?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-29-2011, 09:29 AM
I agree. I wouldn't worry about it. Check these two links if you are unsure. Just put the name you want to use in the search box and see if anything comes up.