Lt. Commander
THE FOUNDRY TERMS OF USE

The Program ("Star Trek Online") contains certain design, programming and processing utilities, tools, assets and other resources ("The Foundry") for use with the Program that allow you to create customized new game levels and other related game materials for personal use in connection with the Program ("New Game Materials"). The use of the Foundry is subject to the following additional license restrictions:

New Game Materials may be created only if such New Game Materials can be used exclusively in combination with the online version of the Program. New Game Materials may not be designed to be used as a stand-alone product.

New Game Materials you create using the Foundry are subject to the following rules and restrictions:

Star Trek Properties are defined as including:
  • Star Trek - The Original Series
  • Star Trek - The Next Generation
  • Star Trek - Deep Space Nine
  • Star Trek - Voyager
  • Star Trek - Enterprise
  • Star Trek - The Motion Picture
  • Star Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn
  • Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
  • Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
  • Star Trek V - The Final Frontier
  • Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
  • Star Trek - Generations
  • Star Trek - First Contact
  • Star Trek - Insurrection
  • Star Trek - Nemesis

New Game Materials may utilize the Star Trek Properties as provided by CBS and Cryptic Studios unless otherwise specified in the Prohibited Section below. You may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties.

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:
  • You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
  • You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).

Other Prohibited uses of New Game Materials published using The Foundry:
  • You may not use New Game Materials to endorse or appose any political party, association (e.g., republican, democrat, candidates, or otherwise) or any side of any issue.
  • You may not use New Game Materials to depict a likeness of any real person (historical or present day).
  • You may not use New Game Materials to advertise any businesses, products or services of any party.
  • You may not publish web URLs in your content.
  • You may not use New Game Materials to convey any profanity, vulgar, hate language explicit sexual language, derogatory references to race, gender, religion, age, mental or physical impairment, obesity or sexual orientation, or reference any drugs (legal or illicit) or medication.
  • You many not make use of any copyrighted or trademarked material of third parties, and only may use the Star Trek Properties as explicitly defined in this agreement, without irrevocable licenses granted specifically for that purpose
  • You may not use New Game Materials to infringe on the rights of privacy and publicity of third parties.

Cryptic Studios and CBS reserve the right to remove any New Game Materials for any reason at any time, without providing cause or recompense.

You agree that, all New Game Materials produced using the Foundry becomes the property of Cryptic Studios, to use as they see fit.

As a condition to your using the Foundry, you will not use or allow third parties to use the Foundry or New Game Materials created by you for any commercial purposes, including but not limited to selling, renting, leasing, licensing, distributing, or otherwise transferring the ownership of such New Game Materials, whether on a standalone basis or packaged in combination with the New Game Materials created by others, through any and all distribution channels, including, without limitation, retail sales and on-line electronic distribution. You agree not to solicit, initiate or encourage any proposal or offer from any person or entity to create any New Game Materials for comercial distribution. You agree to promptly inform Cryptic Studios in writing of any instances of your receipt of any such proposal or offer. If you decide to make available the use of the New Game Materials created by you to other gamers, you agree to do so solely without charge.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Is this a repost of the EULA?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2011, 11:28 PM
I've already seen several questions, both on the forums and in game, regarding the Foundry EULA. However the Foundry EULA is not anywhere in the forums or on the website. So I thought I'd post it here for people to read and refer to.

Here's a few other links that might be helpful as well:

Star Trek Online End User License Agreement

Content Rating and Approval Process Details

Foundry on Holodeck - FAQ

Starbase UGC

The Foundry

The Star Trek Online Wiki
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2011, 06:46 AM
There was some question about the exact meaning and limits of this portion of the EULA:
  • You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.

StormShade clarified it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade View Post
I've been informed that we're not allowing the appearance of characters from the shows in The Foundry. Likeness/copyright issues make this very difficult to allow, and we need to go with the, "Reference is ok, physical appearance is not ok," in order to comply with the rules we're being given.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-31-2011, 06:55 AM
So, in a nutshell,

Good: "LaForge was good at fixing engines."

Bad: "LaForge, fix my engine."

Correct?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-31-2011, 11:19 AM
If you sign up to be a Reviewer then you have another EULA that you must agree to as well:

Community Authored Content Reviewer - End User License Agreement

By signing up to be a Reviewer for the Star Trek Online Foundry, you are agreeing to be exposed to unreviewed community authored content. Such content will likely include offensive and distasteful information. Do not accept unless you are willing to view such content. Reviewers must be over 18 years of age or older.

You agree to review content in the context of appropriateness for all ages, and for violation of the End User License Agreement (EULA) for author that can be found on the Star Trek Online web site. The other players of the game are relying on your judgment to help identify inappropriate content.

You can revoke your reviewer status at any time.

I am over 18 and wish to accept Reviewer status.

I see two problems with this:

1) A typo. It should say; "...Agreement for authors that can be found..."

2) The Foundry EULA actually isn't on the Star Trek Online website.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
There were a number of accolade farming and XP grinding missions pop-up, WishStone clarified that this is not allowed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone View Post
We want the Foundry to be used for users to create missions. Set a scenario, create the world anew for yourself. The tool was not created to allow players to level up easier, to have a quicker way to gather Accolades, or similar. If your mission sets this as a goal in any form, we may take action.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank you for posting this as a reminder, PF.

I know there is probably no "toeing the line" in regards to profanity. I have heard two words in movies/shows, the "d" word and the "h" word (usually goes together in the same sentence), and I have used them once or twice in the mission I am building. However, I don't want to take any chances, and will be removing those two words from my mission.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
It looks like we're still having this discussion. Someone posted;

"Making missions that main purpose is to give you accolade or XP most people also feel is cheating. Sadly they are very popular and get good reviews."

In response to this, WishStone posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone View Post
Please report these. Making these missions is abuse of the system and we will remove such missions and revoke publishing rights to players who make them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Does "copyrighted content from the Propeties" include the older Star Trek Games like Bridgecommander, Amarda, Away Team etc?