Lt. Commander
# 11
03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Can't say i argue with any of you, but i still feel there needs to be some type of reward. Regardless of what it comes down to being.

After all how many of us leave the missions alone that are worth little xp or give crappy loot? I myself have done every mission at least 5 times. By the 5th character i quit doing the missons that were so. It was pointless, in my eyes anyway, to do them.

Once the glory of the foundry wears off what will give people incentive to play the missions if they get no reward? Sometimes even the story isn't good enough if you don't have the time to play it... but if you get something in return...well we seem to make the time...

As far as what i said about the atari tokens, that was meant to be strictly an author incentive to make more. Seeing as how we only get 8 missions to build (for the moment anyway) . Besides if i'm not mistaken stahl himself said something to the effect of rewarding his favorite foundry authors. Plus, if we the players are creating content for them, shouldn't we get a little something in return if they are being played and making their customers happy? While at the same time allowing them to concentrate on more critical parts of the game...like PVP, I'm still waiting to fight in this war we are in! lol

Just my 2 cents worth...
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkysium View Post
Can't say i argue with any of you, but i still feel there needs to be some type of reward. Regardless of what it comes down to being.

After all how many of us leave the missions alone that are worth little xp or give crappy loot? I myself have done every mission at least 5 times. By the 5th character i quit doing the missons that were so. It was pointless, in my eyes anyway, to do them.
Agreed. After item rewards and accolades are received, it is difficult to want to go back to something, at least any time soon anyway. Of course i will always help new Fleet members with STF's, because the reward there is happiness for that said Fleet member and maintains the strength and closeness of a Fleet. But thats a different kettle of fish. Featured Episodes i have run many times over. The rewards are great, plenty of accolades and the stories and locations are beautifully realised. Yet new content and rewards is far more appealing than just new content.

There does need to be something implemented. Atari Tokens i just can't see. Regardless if we are making content for the company and game, i just don't see this as a viable option from a business standpoint, though regular and very good content designers, there could be a yearly (quarterly maybe?) best of the best awards which could be rewarded with C-Store items, etc. And why not, surely they would deserve this, and i don't think it will take long to see exactly who has the ability to create amazing missions. This could create a domino effect, meaning others may up their game and create even better missions just for a chance to be part of the awards too. We've already seen plenty so far, and these people will deserve more than just a pat on the back. This community has a strength unlike many MMO's, as we have an amazing wealth of knowledge, passion and devotion to a franchaise, some have grown up with, while some are just discovering Star Trek, yet the back catalogue of books, tv and films is very rich indeed. Now we are getting to write and direct the stories ourselves, the potential of this is mindblowing.

I have absolute faith in Cryptic handling whatever they have in mind for the players and the creators in terms of rewards. I'm just very intrigued to see what this may be.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green117 View Post
I completely agree with both of you (Darkshrike & Heezdedjim). Cryptic do have to be careful with how they implement rewards against the possible ways of abuse.
The "good" solution to this would be to have an actual person at Cryptic spend some time to review UGC missions, qualify some as meeting the minimum requirement for a reward, and then take a snapshot of that mission and attach a reward to it. It would have to be frozen somehow to prevent the author from gutting it after approval (maybe you would have to "submit" for review a frozen or "officially done" version of your mission). They might choose missions to go through approval from those that got a good number of 5 ratings and no glaring criticisms, in order to spend their time on those missions most likely to be worth approving (keeping in mind, of course, to counter any potential for "ratings farming").

The main problem with this is just having someone with the time to do it; but it would allow UGC missions to go "semi-pro" at least from the standpoint of having real rewards attached; and that might go a great long way to encouraging more people to invest time in making great missions. It also seems like a way to get good content into the game with a lower cost overall compared to writing from scratch. And the person doing this need not be anyone with actual development skill; just knowledge of some basic ground rules and a willingness to get paid for . . . playing an MMO (would make an outstanding project for a college intern, for instance).
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Ok maybe i'm a little dense lol, but i fail to see why atari tokens strictly for author incentive is bad? It's not like it cost the company money. Technically cryptic has an unlimited supply of these. It's a product made up so that consumers, not the company, can convert real life money into a secure and non transferable currency to purchase products with. If the company is giving these tokens as a reward to authors that create content that makes their customers happy, how can that be bad? It's not like i'm talking about massive amounts of tokens, i did say small. Seeing as we only have 8 missions, if authors that get extremely high ratings and get say 50 or 100 tokens per successful mission. That would equate to no more than 400 to 800 tokens. On the low side i could get what a costume? On the high side, what a free service or 3 costumes. Not a bad price to 'pay' to get 8 quality missions. Plus, assuming on the high end, how much incentive will it give you to purchase that ship that now would only cost you what 400-2100 more points. So by doing that they also created another sale. How many authors do you think will have 8 missions like that? Very few in a short amount of time anyway, over time and deletion of ones that aren't, maybe. Plus, who knows, they might actually be able to write it off on taxes lol.

I could really care less either way to be honest, i will still make my missions and continue on. Just my thoughts. It would be nice though. Our missions, on the other hand, definitely need some type of reward for the player.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkysium View Post
Ok maybe i'm a little dense lol, but i fail to see why atari tokens strictly for author incentive is bad? It's not like it cost the company money.
Well, first, Cryptic has simply announced it is a policy that players cannot receive AT by any means through the game, and that is a policy which is not ever, ever going to change.

However, besides the fact that Cryptic said so, there are two reasons for it that are fairly obvious. One is that the licensing agreements Cryptic holds which give them access to the Trek IP almost certainly do not allow them to sublicense that IP to players, which is what it would happen in effect if they allowed players to derive any sort of income from creating UGC content. Since AT are purchased with real life dollars, and therefore directly evaluable in money terms, they have a dollar value equal to their retail price. The other problem is that in some places, most notably the U.S., players and Cryptic would face serious tax issues if players started getting nontrivial amounts of income from their missions; Cryptic would be forced to start reporting payments, and players would owe income tax on the value, where players were getting AT income through plays of missions that they created.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
You could just give a completion reward tied to a formula based on the amount of interaction in the mission (I.e., enemies killed, objects interacted with and so on). I'm fairly sure that's been the plan all along. You can still make a 'farming' mission that just has hundreds of objects to be interacted with, but that wouldn't take any less time than doing a normal mission for the same amount of skill points, and it would be less interesting to do, thus not a successful way of gaming the system.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-31-2011, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Well, first, Cryptic has simply announced it is a policy that players cannot receive AT by any means through the game, and that is a policy which is not ever, ever going to change.

However, besides the fact that Cryptic said so, there are two reasons for it that are fairly obvious. One is that the licensing agreements Cryptic holds which give them access to the Trek IP almost certainly do not allow them to sublicense that IP to players, which is what it would happen in effect if they allowed players to derive any sort of income from creating UGC content. Since AT are purchased with real life dollars, and therefore directly evaluable in money terms, they have a dollar value equal to their retail price. The other problem is that in some places, most notably the U.S., players and Cryptic would face serious tax issues if players started getting nontrivial amounts of income from their missions; Cryptic would be forced to start reporting payments, and players would owe income tax on the value, where players were getting AT income through plays of missions that they created.
cryptic says lots of things and sometimes does the opposite...

I still fail to see why you keep turning this reward into income? At most it equals 10 dollars! Do you think their devs get 10 for making 8 missions?

Atari Token have absolutely no value until a product is associated to them...They are imaginary intangible
items. It's not like they can go, ok US government heres 1.4 million atari tokens to pay our taxes...