Lt. Commander
Hey all.

I decided to make a series of missions now that the foundry is on holodeck.

The first part is more or less an introduction to some major characters in the mission and text heavy.

I just finished the first map and placing the marker.

After that I went to the story tab to create the initial briefing that a player gets when he hails my missions. When I test play the mission I don't get the briefing that tells the players where to go. Is that normal?

I hooked up the marker and specified a "door" in Eta Eridani Sector Block. When I reach the door my BO pops up and tells me to fly to the station while in sector space.

I want the BO to pop up after I entered the system. How do I do this?

At the moment there is no pop up after I entered the system but the marker works and completes after closing in on the station which completes the first test run of the mission.

There will be a lot more in the mission than just flying to the station. This is just as far as I got for now.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-29-2011, 10:19 AM
You should be getting the hail if you're playtesting in the story tab. If the popup is the first thing that happens on the map befor the reach marker and after the map transition, then it should happen right when you enter the system.

Those are strange.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-29-2011, 12:39 PM
It's normal. I don't get the "Hail Popup" either when testing my mission. For some reason, Cryptic didn't see the need to add that part, or just hasn't gotten to it yet. I simply made a COPY of the initial mission dialog and had it be a "Popup Dialog" as the first thing on the storyboard.

I will remove it before publishing, but it lets me see any mistakes I've made, and how it reads.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GEN-Alaris
It's normal. I don't get the "Hail Popup" either when testing my mission. For some reason, Cryptic didn't see the need to add that part, or just hasn't gotten to it yet. I simply made a COPY of the initial mission dialog and had it be a "Popup Dialog" as the first thing on the storyboard.

I will remove it before publishing, but it lets me see any mistakes I've made, and how it reads.
Thank you.

I thought I had missed something. Glad that it is working as intended. The story is shaping up nicely now.

The Federation-Klingon war has a lot of potential.

I am currently working on a ground map. Is it possible to beam down with only one bridge officer?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-29-2011, 01:04 PM
At this time, with the current limitations of the Foundry, No.

There are, however, some workarounds.

We have a bunch of tutorials over on Starbase UGC, that may be of some help.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
There's currently a way to beam down with none, but it involves setting your spawn location between two walls (so that your bridge officers have nowhere to spawn).

It's a little... well... meh. Hopefully they'll add a feature in soon to fix this.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
That is disappointing.

One could always tell the BOs to go stand in the corner though.

I was surprised to find that the selection of Federation interiors are so limited and that custom interiors is greyed out and not allowed.

I can only make custom space maps. Sure this is awesome but I would have liked to create custom ground and interior maps from scratch. It would give our missions a lot more individuality instead of many things looking the same.

Perhaps there are some workarounds too. Going to check out StarbaseUGC.

I am almost finished with my first mission. There won't be any combat in the first mission but it is after all just an introduction to the upcoming events.

Edit: Thank you all for your help. Just published the mission. "The First Step" (Non-combat introduction mission that sets the stage for full blown Federation-Klingon war or a series of diplomatic negotiations. The choice is yours. )
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-29-2011, 11:00 PM
You can make a custom interior ... of sorts.

What you do is take the flattest ground map you can find and then add one (or four or however many you need) of those 500' x 500' paved sections set high enough in the air that you don't have to worry about terrain or trees poking up through your floor. Then using the wall pieces you just build away on your floating bit of land.

OK .. there is an issue of getting all of your pieces to be on the right level vertically with each other since the y-axis is relative to the level of the terrain on the map where you placed the piece. So if the ground is 20 feet higher under one object because of a hill you'll have to adjust it's altitude to compensate.

That adjustment is a bit of a pain but if you start with a relatively flat map (like a meadow) it's manageable ... well without too much crying and screaming.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-30-2011, 01:51 AM
The question is: What would a custom interior map be? Room-modules that could be pieced together perhaps? Just empty space?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
The question is: What would a custom interior map be? Room-modules that could be pieced together perhaps? Just empty space?
I wanted to build a starbase interior for my current mission but due to the limitations of the toolset I had to use stock interiors (very limited number of maps available).

I also wanted to create a klingon city landscape for the second mission which can't be done with the current tool set. The second mission will therefor play in the ground base interior.