Lt. Commander
Alright, to start off, I'm not an accolade grinder. I do not find it fun to sit through a mission that is nothing but giant fleets of Borg, one after the other, with no point other than to grind accolades.

But, ever since Cryptic started removing Foundry missions that are listed as accolade grinders, I've stumbled across another problem: people making grinders that are disguised as real missions.

There is nothing like entering a mission that you thought would be just a normal mission, and ending up in the middle of 20 Borg cubes. And, this goes on and on for about two hours.

If Cryptic would allow people not to hide under the guise of missions when making these grinders, they could label them, and I would know to skip them.

I understand they claim that this isn't in the "spirit" of the Foundry system, but it was my understanding that the spirit of the foundry system was that we could create whatever experience we want, however crappy. There are people who create foundry maps simple as customized roleplay areas(something you will be launching more extensively later), people who create clubs, etc. I don't see how grinding tons and tons of Borg is any different.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2011, 09:34 AM
The solution is to turn off Accolade counting in Foundry. Also, to reduce loot drops there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
Alright, to start off, I'm not an accolade grinder. I do not find it fun to sit through a mission that is nothing but giant fleets of Borg, one after the other, with no point other than to grind accolades.

But, ever since Cryptic started removing Foundry missions that are listed as accolade grinders, I've stumbled across another problem: people making grinders that are disguised as real missions.

There is nothing like entering a mission that you thought would be just a normal mission, and ending up in the middle of 20 Borg cubes. And, this goes on and on for about two hours.

If Cryptic would allow people not to hide under the guise of missions when making these grinders, they could label them, and I would know to skip them.

I understand they claim that this isn't in the "spirit" of the Foundry system, but it was my understanding that the spirit of the foundry system was that we could create whatever experience we want, however crappy. There are people who create foundry maps simple as customized roleplay areas(something you will be launching more extensively later), people who create clubs, etc. I don't see how grinding tons and tons of Borg is any different.
Accolades, much like other achievement systems which the accolade system seems to be modeled upon, are a way to extend the life of what little content this game actually has. If a player gets on the accolade treadmill, then so long as they have to grind within the official missions, Cryptic can count on that player having hundreds of hours of grinding ahead of them.

If players can make missions to streamline the grind, then more players will get all their accolades and then look around and realize that almost no content gets added to this game.

That would be bad for the bottom line.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
Alright, to start off, I'm not an accolade grinder. I do not find it fun to sit through a mission that is nothing but giant fleets of Borg, one after the other, with no point other than to grind accolades. But, ever since Cryptic started removing Foundry missions that are listed as accolade grinders, I've stumbled across another problem: people making grinders that are disguised as real missions.
Yep. When they're openly allowed, there will only ever be one Borg Accolade mission, because that's all anyone ever needs. When they're banned, there are thousands, because everyone still wants one, but nobody can make one that everyone else can just use; so everyone rolls their own and hides it. This also seem to be an unintended consequence of the crackdown on the explosion grinds; even though Cryptic said they don't mind missions where you have to fight 1,000 enemies and kill them the old fashioned way, people apparently took the policy to cover all "straight combat" or "non storyline" missions. Cryptic has conspicuously not removed about 10 or 12 of the original, advertised ground and space "accolade" missions, yet people are apparently now recreating these under cover anyway, since they perceive them to be banned.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Ahh, lovely. I see the Borg have assimilated the Rikti Monkeys already.

*sigh*
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2011, 09:56 AM
That is why there is a report button on the ratings window, find a hidden one, hit the report button.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Accolades were really only a secondary issue as far as exploit grinding goes.

There are plenty of legit foundry missions focused, say on eliminating a romulan or borg threat. They weren't intended for grinding and were written for the right reason.

I imagine if you play enough of those with the intention of grinding, then I wouldn't think you're doing anything wrong.

There's no value to a Foundry mission that has no story or purpose other than to destroy 1238947612 undine cruisers. That's been shown to be a clear violation of the intent of the foundry and therefore an exploit.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
That is why there is a report button on the ratings window, find a hidden one, hit the report button.
Probably the best mitigation you have right now without sacrificing too much for one side or another. It helped in farmers advertising in channels or spamming mail, if people are vigilant enough it'll help in the Foundry as well.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-24-2011, 10:36 AM
If you log into a mission and find out it is a "hidden grind", then report it. If the person has already been warned before, they will lose their ability to create missions. The solution to this problem isnt to change the rules, but to report the people doing it. Eventually those people wont be able to create missions anymore, and the problem will be solved.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Foundry missions aren't the most effective way to grind for loot, and grinding for accolades seems rather pointless.

Besides, in most cases there are Cryptic missions you can grind for the accolades anyway.