Lt. Commander
# 1 Capture and Hold spawn camping
03-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Crptic please do something about this tactic in Capture and Hold as its ruining the game.

Certain fleet and people are destroying the turrets around the Starbases, so when you spawn you are attacked straight way. I joined mid way and was attacked and only just made it out. The worst part was it was a Fed v Fed match, normally you would expect that behaviour from Klingon players, but not this time.

Itís bad enough people play Capture and Hold like it was Arena and are not even bothering to capture any bases, but this is the last straw.

Surely it is possible to make the turrets invincible. There is no need for the other side to destroy them unless they are so unsporting that they will not let the other team play the game. Other online games often have spawn invincibility for a few seconds so that spawn camping is reduced or to give players time to react, I assume the turrets were for that purpose, well they are not working anymore.

Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Klingon Players ??? Hey I resemble that remark. lol

The turrets did get a buff awhile back and they got tractor beam turrets as well.

Really if the other team is busy with the base defenses your capping job should be easier.

I admit sometimes I will go clear turrets... but then I'm almost always too busy to win the map.

Next time Hit an engine battery and evasive... go and clear their turrets. Could be cool to clear both sides.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2011, 12:35 AM
I usually only do this when people consistently leg it back to their base when they cannot handle a fight..

Ive done it a few times out of sheer boredom, when the enemy team is a bunch of newbies, that scatter in all directions whenever they see 2-3 red dots heading toward them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-30-2011, 01:26 AM
Sorry MelineAaele I often use that technique. Unlike in Star Wars Battlefront 2 where capturing bases reduces the teams reinforcements as well as killing player, Capture and Hold in Star Trek Online does not. Iím often in a team with the greatest kills but lost the match. Staying for a fight that you canít win is point less. The sooner that players realize the fact itís not an arena where kills matter the better the gameplay will be.

I always go for capturing bases, if the enemy leave I hardly ever go after them.

Funny how both of you support and practice this technique are on my ignore list! I knew my instinct was right.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Gee
Sorry MelineAaele I often use that technique. Unlike in Star Wars Battlefront 2 where capturing bases reduces the teams reinforcements as well as killing player, Capture and Hold in Star Trek Online does not. Iím often in a team with the greatest kills but lost the match. Staying for a fight that you canít win is point less. The sooner that players realize the fact itís not an arena where kills matter the better the gameplay will be.

I always go for capturing bases, if the enemy leave I hardly ever go after them.
The point in the cap in hold is also sort of lost on you.

No its not an arena however kills can be productive to the goal of capping the map. Your view is too defensive and weak. (not meant to offend)

1) Killing players instead of letting them limp of sends them back to their base (after a 15 second time out) this reduces their cap potential.

2) Destroying people in a cap and hold splits up teams. Again sending part of the team back to the spawn, possibly on the other side of the map. (some teams will switch targets off of a fleet member when another of that targets fleet dies.... keeping them split apart, and reducing their ability to support)

3) Allowing a team to capture the point closest to their spawn and holding the rest will further slow down respawned enemy cap potential.

4) Engaging groups of enemies for long periods of time... if you can commit other forces to capping or hold that force with a small one... again decreases the enemies cap potential.

5) MORAL... forcing people into a negative kill to death ratio will demoralize your enemy, once again DECREASING their cap potential.

A good team will designate a force to engage and draw enemies away from the goal. Some games that goal will be 2-3 caps... some it will be all 5. The secondary force will cap and hold the objective. A good team will appear to have spent the entire match engaged in battle contrary to the objective of the map. However in most cases such a force will win in both metrics people like to use in that game type. lol
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Itís a shame none of your points actually work in the game. If you do as you say, 90% of the time you will be on the loosing team. But hey, keep doing it, as long as you are not on my team Iím happy.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-30-2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:

Funny how both of you support and practice this technique are on my ignore list! I knew my instinct was right.
If you use the technique, then you can hardly complain about people actively countering your "tactic" and engaging you there, right?

Capture and Hold is a PvP mission.. Its not a place where you take turns capturing the points.

To win at it, there are two roles to fulfill.

1: Capture the points.
2: Preventing the opponent from capturing the points.

My personal intent with that particular match setting, is to extend the match as long as possible.. Im there for PvP, and will only cap to stop the opponents tick.

I am there to kill people. I PvP to blow people up, not to win, if you can call it "winning" when there is no penalties for the losing team.

Its one of the few places where you can get huge battles, too bad 1-2 players on each team always fly around by themselves capping everything by, while everyone else is having fun..

As for me being on ignore.. That hardly means anything, since the newbie FoTM is : Hatetell/instant ignore, for even the most ridiculous reasons - Ive had this happen:

Newbie: Waaaah - You are dishonourable, you run back to your group (was directed at someone on my team in a C&H)

Me: Hmm.. I didnt know this was supposed to be a honourable 1v1 duel type game.

Newbie: Waaah - I hate you guys that ruin others game.

Me: Because complaining in zonechat about it is so much better?

Tell: I really REALLY hope you die.

XXX is ignoring you.

I somehow doubt he was talking about dying ingame..
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-30-2011, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Itís a shame none of your points actually work in the game. If you do as you say, 90% of the time you will be on the loosing team. But hey, keep doing it, as long as you are not on my team Iím happy.
Funny, my fleet specializes in fighting larger forces for extended time, 75% of the time I complete the match with 33 or 30.. That means my team won the match, even if I spent all of it fighting a larger force with 2-4 other people. Capping is easy for those that do that, since my fleet usually tie up 2 ships for each of ours.

EG:

10v10

Attack force
4 LF tie up 8 opponents

Cap force
6 allies race 2 opponents in capping

That tactic isnt exactly rocketscience.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-30-2011, 03:01 AM
Its amazing that you donít seem to understand the tactic of running away from a base.

For a start it draws the enemy away from the base, therefore they canít capture it. And the way Cyptic has implemented the game unless the base is neutral it still counts! Go figure??!

It draw enemy force into a chase and away from the main game play. It worked well this morning drawing 2 Defiants back to my base. Ok they did destroyed me but kept those idiots out the game and we won in record time. So is just a valid technique for winning the game.

If you want a massive battle type PvP perhaps you should rise the point with Cyptic instead of hijacking Capture and Hold for your own goals.

If you donít play Capture and Hold to win perhaps you should leave. Let people who want to try to win play the game. I can see why PvP is dying now.

It still does not justify spawn camping to win the game does it?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-30-2011, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Its amazing that you donít seem to understand the tactic of running away from a base.

1: For a start it draws the enemy away from the base, therefore they canít capture it. And the way Cyptic has implemented the game unless the base is neutral it still counts! Go figure??!

It draw enemy force into a chase and away from the main game play. It worked well this morning drawing 2 Defiants back to my base. Ok they did destroyed me but kept those idiots out the game and we won in record time. So is just a valid technique for winning the game.

2: If you want a massive battle type PvP perhaps you should rise the point with Cyptic instead of hijacking Capture and Hold for your own goals.

3: If you donít play Capture and Hold to win perhaps you should leave. Let people who want to try to win play the game. I can see why PvP is dying now.

4: It still does not justify spawn camping to win the game does it?
1: Except when the enemy *dont* chase, they still run away, instead of slowing the enemies capping, by engaging them there.. Im not talking about the guys that purposefully try and slow their opponents by drawing them away, Im essentially doing the same thing (hindering opponents capping) myself when I hunt enemy players.

2: As have been requested since Feb 2010.. Like it or not, its the only place where you can get a hourlong 10vs10+ brawl.. Dont misunderstand me, I wont complain about my team capping points, but Ill only work to stop a enemy tick..

3: Oh, but riddle me this: What are you winning? What do you get in a match where you win, and I lose (that I do not get) 10k EC and a few merits?

4: If you drag me back to your turrets, youre to blame yourself, if I work to deny you that strategy (I should probably say that I do not believe in spawncamping.. I will not initiate an attack on an opponent there that havent shot me first - Unless its an obvious AFKer)