Lt. Commander
# 11
03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufia
i vote no i suggest it's time for a 25th cent pack where our ships actually have the proper warp core and not universal hallways and such ... you know like real star trek
Except:

1. Star Trek is NOT real. It's make-believe.

and

2. Star Trek IS all the stuff you keep saying has no place in the game. I'm glad you love the 25th Century, but if I was the Marketing Department at Cryptic and I heard they were going to stop making the stuff fans associate with and will pay money for, I'd be screaming bloody murder with my eyes bulging out of my head.

This is the reality of STO. For STO to stay alive, it has to make money. With a fan base as rabid as the Star Trek IP has, you can't give generic stuff no one has ever seen before, and sell it as Star Trek. It just doesn't work.

You have to sell the IP on stuff that fans care about. Otherwise, why buy it?

Why should I care about a bunch of stuff Cryptic made up as filler? I barely had any interest in TNG, and had virtually no interest in DS9. I thought Nemesis was a weak movie. That alone means I'm not very likely to buy anything associated with those eras. And so, I'm certainly not inclined to buy anything with an era that I have no vested interest in.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
i vote no i suggest it's time for a 25th cent pack where our ships actually have the proper warp core and not universal hallways and such ... you know like real star trek
I do agree with this, but I would love to see a TWoK bundle as well.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
Except:

1. Star Trek is NOT real. It's make-believe.

and

2. Star Trek IS all the stuff you keep saying has no place in the game. I'm glad you love the 25th Century, but if I was the Marketing Department at Cryptic and I heard they were going to stop making the stuff fans associate with and will pay money for, I'd be screaming bloody murder with my eyes bulging out of my head.

This is the reality of STO. For STO to stay alive, it has to make money. With a fan base as rabid as the Star Trek IP has, you can't give generic stuff no one has ever seen before, and sell it as Star Trek. It just doesn't work.

You have to sell the IP on stuff that fans care about. Otherwise, why buy it?

Why should I care about a bunch of stuff Cryptic made up as filler? I barely had any interest in TNG, and had virtually no interest in DS9. I thought Nemesis was a weak movie. That alone means I'm not very likely to buy anything associated with those eras. And so, I'm certainly not inclined to buy anything with an era that I have no vested interest in.
real is something that is tangiable something that you see reality is not merely a preception of the world but things in a established setting if you forget that then your not really being true to the make belive reality you are expericing

it's kinda like making a world war 2 game and populating it with roman soldiers ... they have no place in the setting one should focus on the proper time line setting before adding "fluff"
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe after PvP is fixed and updated.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
real is something that is tangiable something that you see reality is not merely a preception of the world but things in a established setting if you forget that then your not really being true to the make belive reality you are expericing
You would consider pixels on a screen, that equate to 1s and 0s in a database on a server, as being real?

What you are talking about is immersion, not reality.

But your initial argument was that the 25th Century stuff is real, which it is not. nothing in the game is real. It's all make-believe based on writings and what is televised in association with the IP.

And the 25th Century stuff is even less "real" because Cryptic made it all up. It's not even established in canon as part of the Star Trek universe.

But you are still missing the larger issue. That issue is the financial drive behind this game.

To quote "The Right Stuff":

"No bucks. No Buck Rodgers."

Same thing goes with STO. And Cryptic is aware of what drives the STO machine. The fuel for this game, is the fervent fandom associated with the IP and what has already been established in the Star Trek universe. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If STO were PURELY based on the 25th Century, and had nothing in it from the previous incarnations, this game would be deader than a doorknob.

At that point, STO would be nothing more than generic space MMO #2, with Star Trek in name only on the cover of the game box.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm sorry to say, but i vote no.
Enough of Kirk and the 23th cenutry, i want to see some new 24th or 25th century stuff.
And yes, Star Trek consists of much more than Kirk & Co.
Maybe in a half year i will be happy to see a TOS movies Pack, but for now, i think it will be too much TOS stuff for my taste.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
We already HAVE a 25th century pack... we get it for free - comes included with the game when you start it up for the first time :p otherwise known as every single free bridge, ship and station AND uniform that already COMES with the game

I'm for the TWoK pack /signed and hope it'll come with TWoK Reliant Phaser-beams ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig32 View Post
We already HAVE a 25th century pack... we get it for free - comes included with the game when you start it up for the first time :p otherwise known as every single free bridge, ship and station AND uniform that already COMES with the game

I'm for the TWoK pack /signed and hope it'll come with TWoK Reliant Phaser-beams ^_^
it comes with the ability to feel old and outdated when my Prommy MVA you into oblivion
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-30-2011, 04:38 PM
I'd really like to see the bridge from Star Trek VI available.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
I am all for the most famous and imho the best era twok pack! We have quite a few ships already in game, so really need proper monster maroons, hand phasers, bridges and interiors. Those interiors would work with the Constitution refit, Excelsior and refit, the Miranda, and the up coming Oberth. So many birds could be killed! I will be happy to purchase this pack!