03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Includes:

Engineering Hazard Suit
Crewman Uniforms and Skirts
Scientist Uniforms
Enterprise Film Bridge and Interior
Khan Off Duty wear (available for Klingon faction)
The Botany Bay (as a shuttlecraft, also available for Klingon faction)

Who's with me?

oh I would definitely buy this. Wrath of Khan is my favorite movie of all time.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
If a WoK pack is made, this needs to be included:

Sickbay Uniform

Anyway, on to the main point of my post...

To be brutally honest, I'm more than a bit shocked by the attitudes of some of the community regarding the inclusion of 23rd-century items in STO. I can't help but question whether they truly understand their presence in-game.

First of all, there is plenty of 25th-century technology and design in the game already. It's there in the interiors, the uniforms, the ship designs, etc. It was included at launch, and I have no doubt that as time goes on, we'll see even more. There's almost no limit to what the Cryptic team can come up with for future tech/uniforms/design. They're dealing with unwritten TREK; it's a blank canvas that any fan would be tripping over themselves to paint upon.

HOWEVER...

People have to realize that the fanbase for Star Trek is strongly rooted in nostalgia. A vast number of those who love TREK grew up watching TOS either first-run or in reruns, went to the original-series movies when they first appeared in theatres, or watched TNG from the first night it aired to the finale seven years later. Their passion for Star Trek is based in what was more than what will be. If that wasn't so, there wouldn't still be comic books and novels being released that are based in those eras. People still want classic TREK to be a part of their fandom.

Yes, it's fun to roleplay in STO as a Starfleet officer two centuries after the adventures of Kirk and Spock. But for many, imaginations work differently. They can't be Captain Kirk or Mr. Spock, but if they have a chance to be the closest thing to that character they'll leap at the opportunity, ESPECIALLY if the ship they're commanding and the corridors they're walking in are the same ones they grew up enjoying.

So why not have a TOS bundle or a Motion Picture-era uniform option? Those who adored those periods of TREK history will buy them immediately, dress their characters in the iconic uniforms, walk them onto the bridge or in the corridors and bask in nostalgic joy.

Do the older uniforms and starships affect "immersion" that terribly? Only to those who let it. People who wring their hands with stress over seeing TOS-era Constitution-class starships flying in 25th-century space...well, sorry, but they need to lighten up a little, and put their imaginations to work. Come up with any excuse you like, such as: Continued conflicts between the KDF and the UFP and the increase in Starfleet's numbers have forced Starfleet engineers to un-mothball previously decommissioned starships and modify them for active use in the field.

TA-DA! Canonical conflict explained, at least for me...and I didn't even have a problem with it.

STO should always have its foundation in the future of Star Trek, and I don't foresee Cryptic eschewing that anytime soon. However, I see no harm whatsoever in STO honoring its roots and satisfying the nostalgic fans' desire to re-live Trek's past through these optional modifications.
BEST POST EVER!

You win all the Internets. Period.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:

Sickbay Uniform

To be brutally honest, I'm more than a bit shocked by the attitudes of some of the community regarding the inclusion of 23rd-century items in STO. I can't help but question whether they truly understand their presence in-game.

First of all, there is plenty of 25th-century technology and design in the game already. It's there in the interiors, the uniforms, the ship designs, etc. It was included at launch, and I have no doubt that as time goes on, we'll see even more. There's almost no limit to what the Cryptic team can come up with for future tech/uniforms/design. They're dealing with unwritten TREK; it's a blank canvas that any fan would be tripping over themselves to paint upon.

HOWEVER...

People have to realize that the fanbase for Star Trek is strongly rooted in nostalgia. A vast number of those who love TREK grew up watching TOS either first-run or in reruns, went to the original-series movies when they first appeared in theatres, or watched TNG from the first night it aired to the finale seven years later. Their passion for Star Trek is based in what was more than what will be. If that wasn't so, there wouldn't still be comic books and novels being released that are based in those eras. People still want classic TREK to be a part of their fandom.

Yes, it's fun to roleplay in STO as a Starfleet officer two centuries after the adventures of Kirk and Spock. But for many, imaginations work differently. They can't be Captain Kirk or Mr. Spock, but if they have a chance to be the closest thing to that character they'll leap at the opportunity, ESPECIALLY if the ship they're commanding and the corridors they're walking in are the same ones they grew up enjoying.

So why not have a TOS bundle or a Motion Picture-era uniform option? Those who adored those periods of TREK history will buy them immediately, dress their characters in the iconic uniforms, walk them onto the bridge or in the corridors and bask in nostalgic joy.

Do the older uniforms and starships affect "immersion" that terribly? Only to those who let it. People who wring their hands with stress over seeing TOS-era Constitution-class starships flying in 25th-century space...well, sorry, but they need to lighten up a little, and put their imaginations to work. Come up with any excuse you like, such as: Continued conflicts between the KDF and the UFP and the increase in Starfleet's numbers have forced Starfleet engineers to un-mothball previously decommissioned starships and modify them for active use in the field.

TA-DA! Canonical conflict explained, at least for me...and I didn't even have a problem with it.

STO should always have its foundation in the future of Star Trek, and I don't foresee Cryptic eschewing that anytime soon. However, I see no harm whatsoever in STO honoring its roots and satisfying the nostalgic fans' desire to re-live Trek's past through these optional modifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
BEST POST EVER!

You win all the Internets. Period.
Wish I had written this... Agreed...
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Excellent post, Shatterhand. Thank you.

(And I was particularly amused by the assertion that things which have only ever appeared in this one game are somehow more "real star trek" than, well, everything else.)
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-31-2011, 11:04 AM
And my simple excuse why all these TOS era ships are showing up is simple: A Temporal rift has opened up somewhere and these ships have been appearing at an alarming rate. With the war going on, Starfleet is grateful the help is here!
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...mYCiLc_eck8cG- This shuttle for the win. A Star Trek VI Enterprise Bridge pack, Excelsior bridge, and a Christian Slater nerd-bot to ask you questions about sensitive material involving the exact location of the Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Come up with any excuse you like, such as: Continued conflicts between the KDF and the UFP and the increase in Starfleet's numbers have forced Starfleet engineers to un-mothball previously decommissioned starships and modify them for active use in the field.
This was what I used for my Caitian tactical officer and his ship; when I levelled him up, I did it with the TOS Connie (and later "upgraded" to the refit when I hit LC1). It was explained as the registries and such had been burnt off when it was put into mothballs, and it was given a new registry.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
And my simple excuse why all these TOS era ships are showing up is simple: A Temporal rift has opened up somewhere and these ships have been appearing at an alarming rate. With the war going on, Starfleet is grateful the help is here!
Works for me. It's better than the dumb idea that Starfleet would build 100 and 200 year old ships as expendable cannon fodder.

Anyway. I didn't and will not buy the TOS pack, I love TOS as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna pay money for a ship interior that is only useful on one ship early on in the game.

A TOS movie era pack however, I will defiantly get. With the Oberth class coming soon, Miranda class, Constitution class refit, T3 and T5 Excelsior all in game that is a lot of ships that the interiors will work for. Ships that we saw, for the most part, in service all the way to the late 24th century. There’s no reason why Miranda and Excelsior classes wouldn’t still be in service in the early 25th century.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:

HOWEVER...

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines GMMeeko
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:

Sickbay Uniform

HOWEVER...

I wish the internet had been around in widespread use in 1987 so that we could find posts like this about why TNG should be set on a Constitution class ship, using the TOS uniforms rather than those newfangled WoK ones that we hate so much, with no ridges on Klingon foreheads.

Of course, luckliy for us they relegated nostalgia to a few mentions a season, so that we could get on with a new story rather than rehashing the same stuff over and over.