Lt. Commander
So I've always put 9 ranks into my liuetenant captain abilities but a little while ago I found out my friend only puts 7 ranks into his. I haven't been able to find any information about whether one is better than the other.

You only save 2,400 points(I max out all lt abilities usually) reducing them to 7.

So is 7 ranks a better strategy than 9?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Are you speaking of BO abilitys or Captain Skills?

If its Captain Skills, just ranking to 7 is in some cases a good strategy. There are abilitys that should stay at 9, like weapons or the ship-class abilitys, and of course, everything that gives you the ability to train bos if you want the skills to train. But with everything else you can make it per personal favor.

The issue is that those skills do not give bonuses "in line".... the first point you invest gives a bonus of 10, the ninth might only raise that bonus with 1. So just skilling several abilitys to 7 might give you the chance to level other skills wich will give more bonuses all over.
But after all, you should always look VERY exactly what skills you realy need, and if possible choose BO-abilitys that benefit from the same skills.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2011, 02:35 PM
sorry. I meant captain. I updated my post

thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
It depends on the Tier (Not rank availablity) of the Captain Skill. For most of the Tier 1 skills ( which top out at 18%) and Tier 2 skills (which top out at 30), that may very well be a good strategy. With the diminishing returns of the last couple of skills ranks, the different is <3%. But with the Tier 3 skills (which top out at 50%), it's worth it go go all the way to rank 9 if you were planning on going to rank 7 anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
The basic idea is that as you raise a skill, you get more benefit out of it. At rank 0, when you buy rank 1 of a skill, you get 6 points toward that skill. If you look at your Captain's trait list on his character screen you'll see those skill points. At rank 7 you're only getting half a point of skill, and spending 100 skill points for it. If you have another Tier 1 skill that is only rank 5, you can get a whole skill point for that same 100 points.

Even better, if you have a Tier 2 skill that is only rank 5, you can spend 200 points, and get 2 skill points. Of course, that's limited to a fewer number of your abilities, but that's the tradeoff.

In short, skills like 9-9-9-1-1-1 are bad. 6-6-6-4-4-4 is much better.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-01-2011, 12:46 PM
It is definitely more efficient to put 7s in your tier 1 skills.

I can't remember the exact progression, but it goes something like this:

1 point will give you +6 to the skill.
Adding another point (now 2 points) will give you +10
3 points will give you +12
4 points will give you +14
5 points will give you +15

see a pattern here? It's the law of diminishing returns. More points give you less in return.

6 gives you +16
7 gives you +17
8 only gives you half a skill point of +17.5
and a full 9 only gives you another half of a skill at +18

So you have to ask yourself, is it REALLY worth it to spend 200 skill points to net you +1 in a skill? At least at 7 points, you are still getting a full +skill point with 100 XP spent.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-01-2011, 01:40 PM
To me it depends on the skill. Some skills that are beneficial me 100% of the time I will put all 9 ranks into it. Skills like Starship Command, Starship Attack Vectors, Energy and Projectile weapons, and Warp Core training. Those will help you out 100% of the time you are in space because they affect your core starship abilities (weapons and maneuverability). Other skills like Starship Operations and the Team Leader skills I only put 7 at the most, most often only 4 ranks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifandbut View Post
To me it depends on the skill. Some skills that are beneficial me 100% of the time I will put all 9 ranks into it. Skills like Starship Command, Starship Attack Vectors, Energy and Projectile weapons, and Warp Core training. Those will help you out 100% of the time you are in space because they affect your core starship abilities (weapons and maneuverability). Other skills like Starship Operations and the Team Leader skills I only put 7 at the most, most often only 4 ranks.
Yes, but how much benefit are you getting with 1 additional stat point? If instead you spend them elsewhere, you can get far more bang for the buck. Doing all 9/9 in the tier 1 skills will leave several skills with 0 in that tier. (assuming you put the minimum required to move on to tier 2). Using 7s, on the other hand, will allow you put at least 1 point into those, and thus give you +6 stat points. The only reason I see that justifies putting 9 into a tier 1 skill is if you want to be able to train a particular skill, or if you have extra points you don't want to put elsewhere. But skill points are tight, especially at tiers 4 and 5, and it's better to save the points for those tiers.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
There are some excellent threads on this topic elsewhere - wish I had subscribed to them so that I could share.

This is all about bang for the buck, and in general 7-7-9 on the first 3 tiers will deliver more bang for the buck, allowing you to buy more skills higher up the chain. Of course there are exceptions - those skills that you want to train BOs in need a 9 no matter the tier for instance.

Also, because of the way the ship specific skills only carry up the chain at 50%, you need to calculate the cost per point on those at each level. To maximize the final skill points requires some math - and again there is an excellent thread where this is already done - and actually has you jumping back and forth between upper levels in a not-so-intuitive fashion.

Hopefully someone who has these threads handy can post them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
There are some excellent threads on this topic elsewhere - wish I had subscribed to them so that I could share.
Also, because of the way the ship specific skills only carry up the chain at 50%, you need to calculate the cost per point on those at each level. To maximize the final skill points requires some math - and again there is an excellent thread where this is already done - and actually has you jumping back and forth between upper levels in a not-so-intuitive fashion.

Hopefully someone who has these threads handy can post them.

This is what I was hoping for, I tried searching for something like that and couldn't find it. Now we just need to find it; lol.

thanks