Lt. Commander
# 11
04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorko1 View Post
lol, yay for selective star trek physics!
I don't think that's the only time they did it. I just remember watching it recently.

Besides, in order to see a ship while traveling at warp, then light reflection off the other ship has to be going fast than the speed of light....
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-10-2011, 08:12 PM
The veiwscreens make a composite image generated from the subspace echo of a ship and other various sensors. What they see isn't actually the light from the ship
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
The veiwscreens make a composite image generated from the subspace echo of a ship and other various sensors. What they see isn't actually the light from the ship
That makes sense. I know that there are star trek episodes where you see other ships at warp through the viewing screens. I couldn't make sense of that aspect of it, but the idea that you could be tactically aware of another ship via other sensory data seems somewhat legit.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Guys... the ship isn't moving at faster-than-light-speeds, SPACE is. That's how warp travel works. The ship is sitting in a bubble of realspace while the bubble itself is traveling.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-10-2011, 09:56 PM
It is an interesting thought.

But then if phasers would not work at warp speed then neither would the lights inside the ship.
You would only be able to use a light that originated from a source ahead of you.
Would be interesting to experiment with.
Photons are originating from a source, and if that source is already moving at 'warp speed' I would imagine that said photons would be moving at the speed of light in relation to thier source. In the same way a projectile being fired from a moving object attains it's velocity in relation to the speed of the moving source and not 'ground-speed'.

If only I had a stationary laser and a laser on a rocket sled with devices capable of measuring thier arrival a few miles away. (or a few humdred miles depending on your timing capabilities)
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
Guys... the ship isn't moving at faster-than-light-speeds, SPACE is. That's how warp travel works. The ship is sitting in a bubble of realspace while the bubble itself is traveling.
Yet at the same time the target is in it's own bubble, therefore unless the two warp fields merge, the beam would have to cross normal space in it's transition.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardolin-Vosh
Yet at the same time the target is in it's own bubble, therefore unless the two warp fields merge, the beam would have to cross normal space in it's transition.
You answered your own question then: the bubbles are merging.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I hate technobabble
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
In the "real Star Trek universe" photons are able to go warp speed. That is why they can be fired by ships moving at warp speed. Phasers, on the other hand, must obey the speed of light, and that is why they are useless to a ship moving at warp speed.
Photon torpedoes have warp sustainer coils in them that cop a warp charge off of the firing ship's warp field. That's what the TNG Technical Manual says, anyway.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
In the "real Star Trek universe" photons are able to go warp speed. That is why they can be fired by ships moving at warp speed. Phasers, on the other hand, must obey the speed of light, and that is why they are useless to a ship moving at warp speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Photon torpedoes have warp sustainer coils in them that cop a warp charge off of the firing ship's warp field. That's what the TNG Technical Manual says, anyway.

Z
That sounds so dirty... luv it...

I'm still trying to get beyond the "..reality of trek..." comment... <chuckle>