Lt. Commander
# 21
04-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
In the "real Star Trek universe" photons are able to go warp speed. That is why they can be fired by ships moving at warp speed. Phasers, on the other hand, must obey the speed of light, and that is why they are useless to a ship moving at warp speed.
Yeah... and if you watch out for it you will notice that everytime in an episode shortly after the statement was made they fire Phasers at Warp like crazy. True for TNG + DS9 + VOY + ENT

So do we say this is a movie error? inconsistency etc. ?
or do we have some Trek Technobabble Solution why some ships in certain "situations" can do it anyway?
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
Yeah... and if you watch out for it you will notice that everytime in an episode shortly after the statement was made they fire Phasers at Warp like crazy. True for TNG + DS9 + VOY + ENT

So do we say this is a movie error? inconsistency etc. ?
or do we have some Trek Technobabble Solution why some ships in certain "situations" can do it anyway?
I vote for a long Techno-babble, immersion loving solution...

And then a Lovely Trek-Tech manuel/book published with a bunch of other cool Trek Stuff in it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Might want to restate that.
The photon torpedo was developed as a tactical weapon that could be used while a starship is traveling at warp - a situation in which phasers are useless.

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/oper...torpedoes.html

========

This whole page:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/in...gy-weapons.htm

so...nya!
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
Guys... the ship isn't moving at faster-than-light-speeds, SPACE is. That's how warp travel works. The ship is sitting in a bubble of realspace while the bubble itself is traveling.
Yes but the objects the ship is shooting out of it are leaving that bubble.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardolin-Vosh
It is an interesting thought.

But then if phasers would not work at warp speed then neither would the lights inside the ship.
You would only be able to use a light that originated from a source ahead of you.
Would be interesting to experiment with.
Photons are originating from a source, and if that source is already moving at 'warp speed' I would imagine that said photons would be moving at the speed of light in relation to thier source. In the same way a projectile being fired from a moving object attains it's velocity in relation to the speed of the moving source and not 'ground-speed'.

If only I had a stationary laser and a laser on a rocket sled with devices capable of measuring thier arrival a few miles away. (or a few humdred miles depending on your timing capabilities)
See my above post
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-11-2011, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
That sounds so dirty... luv it...

I'm still trying to get beyond the "..reality of trek..." comment... <chuckle>
What...you don't think this stuff is real???
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
The photon torpedo was developed as a tactical weapon that could be used while a starship is traveling at warp - a situation in which phasers are useless.

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/oper...torpedoes.html

========

This whole page:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/in...gy-weapons.htm

so...nya!
And yet, I still see phasers being fired at warp....
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
It's all fuzzy.

I don't accept that there is one 'universal speed limit' to begin with.
Even in real world science there are several things that do move faster than light. Shadows can be made to 'move' faster than light, certain radiation waves can be made to move faster than light, and yet scientists take this and say "yeah, but that doesn't count because (insert non-sensical overly complicated double speak)".

It does seem striking that we're all accepting of the ships moving 'FTL' but questioning the energy beams moving 'FTL'.