Lt. Commander
So, I'm trying to make a mission for the first time, and I can't seem to get this part to work right. I can have a dialog pop up after say, you destroy an enemy, and it works fine. But, if I set that same dialog to pop up after you complete an objective, it doesn't work when I play the map. The objective is completed, but the dialog never comes up. This is any issue if I want the player to have to fight more than one squadron, because I can only assign the to pop up after a certain squadron is killed, not only popping up after ALL of them are destroyed.

Any ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2011, 06:55 PM
How are you adding the dialog? As a MAP prompt, or as a Popup prompt in the story editor?

Can you explain what you've got going on in the editor in a little bit more detail, please?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2011, 07:47 PM
I had the same problem last night with map prompts. I eventually gave up using map prompts with objective complete markers all together and just integrated them into the story tab or place markers. It was very annoying having to redo all the dialog trees because of this.

This was happening with a variety of objectives - the first one was supposed to pop up after a Reach Marker objective completed, but it never did. The next should have come up after a console interaction, but nothing again. Third was another reach marker, and the fourth was a talk to to contact. If it matters, I was trying to use the Vendor Station map (which has a LOT of BOff pathing issues in the Foundry, by the way.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I've also had an issue using Earth Space dock. Interact with object, once complete, will not access the pop-up. If the pop-up is moved after the next objective, still no pop-up.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
How are you adding the dialog? As a MAP prompt, or as a Popup prompt in the story editor?

Can you explain what you've got going on in the editor in a little bit more detail, please?
Yeah, it's a map prompt. Still haven't figured out how to do everything yet.

What I'm trying to do is have the player scan a freighter, and after the scan, enemy ships appear from behind an asteroid. And after you destroy them, your officer tells you that it's now safe to beam to the freighter. But I can only get the officer to tell you that if I make that dialog appear after a SPECIFIC enemy squad is destroyed, not when they are all killed.

But I'll just try it as a story prompt and see what happens. That'd be the easy fix. Thanks for the response, it any case.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post
Yeah, it's a map prompt. Still haven't figured out how to do everything yet.

What I'm trying to do is have the player scan a freighter, and after the scan, enemy ships appear from behind an asteroid. And after you destroy them, your officer tells you that it's now safe to beam to the freighter. But I can only get the officer to tell you that if I make that dialog appear after a SPECIFIC enemy squad is destroyed, not when they are all killed.

But I'll just try it as a story prompt and see what happens. That'd be the easy fix. Thanks for the response, it any case.
Select the prompt you want the officer to say. Then select the States tab. Under the trigger set it to Component Complete. Choose the first enemy group. Then hit the add button. This will add another trigger. Select the second enemy group, and so on.

That way all the groups will have to be killed before the prompt is shown.

I know this works because I am doing it in my own mission. Essentially by using component complete triggers you can set secondary objectives, although they won't be shown on the mission objectives list.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral
I had the same problem last night with map prompts. I eventually gave up using map prompts with objective complete markers all together and just integrated them into the story tab or place markers. It was very annoying having to redo all the dialog trees because of this.

This was happening with a variety of objectives - the first one was supposed to pop up after a Reach Marker objective completed, but it never did. The next should have come up after a console interaction, but nothing again. Third was another reach marker, and the fourth was a talk to to contact. If it matters, I was trying to use the Vendor Station map (which has a LOT of BOff pathing issues in the Foundry, by the way.)
I think your problem may be that you're using Objective Complete when you need to use Component Complete. Objective complete only triggers off of things listed in the story screen. For minor interacts that aren't listed there you need to use Component complete.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Aha, yes that works perfectly. In fact, both your solution and Zero's work perfectly.

Thanks to both of you!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I think your problem may be that you're using Objective Complete when you need to use Component Complete. Objective complete only triggers off of things listed in the story screen. For minor interacts that aren't listed there you need to use Component complete.
The problem is, Objective Complete wasn't triggering at all.
Here's what I was trying to do:

If you have a task like "Defeat Enemies", then the next task is to talk to an NPC contact, and you put a dialog box in between those two tasks on the story tab, then the NPC contact won't even appear on the map until the dialog box is gone. I didn't want the player to see the NPC contact beaming in, naturally, so I thought what I'd do is, instead of putting that dialog box on the story tab, put it as a bubble on the map, then set it to appear once "defeat Enemies" is complete. That way, the NPC would beam in as soon as the enemies died, but the player wouldn't see the message until their red alert went away - hopefully not noticing that the NPC beamed in at all, and think it was always there. However, if I set a dialog bubble on the map to go from "Hidden" to "Visible" when an objective is completed, then it won't work. That dialog bubble never, ever shows up.

This wasn't a one time occurrence, either; every time I tried to set dialog bubbles on the map to trigger when the objective was completed, then they never appeared. I ended up having to do something weird, like putting an invisible box down in the room with a "Listen" button to trigger the dialog box just so that the NPC would beam down before the text box. Isn't that annoying? If the "Objective Complete" is working right then I wouldn't have to do that, but it clearly isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeeyes View Post
I've also had an issue using Earth Space dock. Interact with object, once complete, will not access the pop-up. If the pop-up is moved after the next objective, still no pop-up.
Quick info update. Been messing around with everything I can think of and still nothing. My project ID is ST-HUX074409. Thanks!