Lt. Commander
# 1 How do I branch the mission?
03-31-2011, 03:27 PM
It seems like every idea I've had for the foundry so far has run across this same stumbling block. How do I branch the mission? Everything looks linear. I'm wanting to add in choices that provide a captain some control over the mission and how he, the player, wants to deal with it.

Also is it possible to set up a sequence of events that results in mission failure?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2011, 03:45 PM
with some difficulty. you cant do a straight up branching mission but you can get around it to a degree, depending on how skilled you are and how much work you want to put in.

you cant set up a proper fail condition where the whole mission ends as a fail but again you could be creative in your dialogue boxes.

this thread and the video tutorial might help explain it.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=208866
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2011, 05:47 PM
You may try the Fed mission called Branching Story Mission on tribble.

The base idea is to restrict access to the next story point. That paticular mission has 2 forcefields covering the entry door. One mission branch takes down one forcefield. When any 1 of the 2 forcefields is down, you can enter without completing the other branch. In practical terms, it is an OR statement.

IF (branch 1 is complete) OR (branch 2 is complete) THEN Grant access to storyline objective.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Will the mission complete alright if you can't fulfull the other objective? In the door example I assume they take you to different maps which lead to different outcomes. What happens when you reach the end of one of the maps?

This is actually how I was trying to work on the problem but the way the Foundry reads the player swould then have to go back and do the other branch.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
Will the mission complete alright if you can't fulfull the other objective? In the door example I assume they take you to different maps which lead to different outcomes. What happens when you reach the end of one of the maps?

This is actually how I was trying to work on the problem but the way the Foundry reads the player swould then have to go back and do the other branch.
If you were going to do it like that, you wouldn't really be putting them in the Story tab, so they wouldn't show up as objectives in the standard way in the mission. It can be a bit confusing for players, so you'd have to be extra clear in dialog boxes as to what they should do next. Still, quite doable.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
I show you how to branch here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...hing-missions/

Part 6 will go a step further.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I show you how to branch here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...hing-missions/

Part 6 will go a step further.

Thanks!
Yeah That's a great video and answers some questions. It isn't exactly what I was after but it did get some motors running. Thanks for your Tutorials and thanks to the guy who posted this link earlier.

In fact. If I wanted to have a mission that appeared to be completely open ended with only the goal of "Solve X" Would I be able top put up a Universal Pop Up that the players could access at any time which would basically be a Staff conference. Then have the Boffs explain the story so far via hidden conversation options?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Quote:
In fact. If I wanted to have a mission that appeared to be completely open ended with only the goal of "Solve X" Would I be able top put up a Universal Pop Up that the players could access at any time which would basically be a Staff conference. Then have the Boffs explain the story so far via hidden conversation options?
As far as I know, each interaction can only be completed once. Location Markers can be entered once, consoles can be manipulated just once, etc. However, I do think that if you set this up as a default dialog initiated through an NPC Contact, you could add into that dialog other pop-ups involving the BO's. It would probably be a very large dialog tree and the player would have to walk up to the NPC and initiate the conversation, but it could work... I think.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately, the button visibility can only be tied to story objectives, not to components like triggers can. since you'd be avoiding the story tab, there wouldn't be any way to hide or reveal buttons, really. There might be a way to set up a reach marker with an "Initiate Conference" button and have it trigger a series of popups, but it would only be visible once, and say the same thing every time. I haven't actually tried to do something like that yet, though (But I have had situations where the BOs talk to you and to each other, which is similar.)