Lt. Commander
I wish to create linked missions in foundry like with the week episodes. Is there some simple way of doing this that I am not appear of?

Is there any way of placing containers with things in them that users can collect like data, batteries etc?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Not yet, there is certainly some interest in it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-01-2011, 03:15 AM
thats is one of the big requests and something they are working on.
Lt. Commander
Is there a way to put things to find in containers like data, etc?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2011, 03:29 PM
it depends what you mean by 'data'

if you mean an actual physical item or anomaly for crafting then no. simply because it would be abused by the players. normal loot is dropped in the same way it happens in game as that is controlled by the loot tables.

if you mean can i have a character scan a crate and find some useful information to further the storyline, either as part of the main story or optionally then yes. ie a hint or clue or something perhaps your investigating a murder and you want a player to find bits of information in these crates or consoles to help the player solve the murder or get a better view of the storyline then you can set that up with some time and work. (the optional stuff is a bit trickier to add at the moment but its doable).

if you mena lt.commander data from the enterprise...... then no.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
it depends what you mean by 'data'

if you mena lt.commander data from the enterprise...... then no.
LOL. Off to the foundry... I have a great idea for a mission now.
Lt. Commander
# 7 I eyes play trick on me capt'
04-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
LOL. Off to the foundry... I have a great idea for a mission now.
I hope thats a Stalactite your holding in your hand, Cpt. Kirk!
Lt. Commander
# 8 My method
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Why not just create a mission that gives clues to the next one? I've created a mission that has two story lines but the clues given from the backstory would be a major role of the following missions. Also, naming each mission with the same naming conventions work.

Aura
Lt. Commander
# 9 I have manged to do it thanks
04-06-2011, 11:36 PM
With the careful setup of map transitions I have managed to achieve a form of linked missions. Check it out on "In the Footsteps of Our Fathers"
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
I wish to create linked missions in foundry like with the week episodes. Is there some simple way of doing this that I am not appear of?

Is there any way of placing containers with things in them that users can collect like data, batteries etc?
In his reply to my question in the recent Ask Cryptic, dStahl says:
"In our internal tools we have functions which allow us to store data directly onto your player character database object which allows us to then reference decisions you make later on. This is how most of our text puzzle games work. While we cannot open up similar access for Foundry mission creators, we can look at some alternative ways in which branching dialog can set variables that you may be able to use in your missions. Donít expect a big feature like this in the short term, as Iíd anticipate at least 6 months to a year before they would be looking at something like this."
I believe that dStahl has indirectly answered your question by saying that the tools required for linking missions, or hiding collectible objects in missions are not to be handed to us Foundry Authors. At least not for the next year, if ever at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
With the careful setup of map transitions I have managed to achieve a form of linked missions. Check it out on "In the Footsteps of Our Fathers"
I think what you're describing in essence is a System Patrol Mission, like that ones that Cryptic makes. Am I close?