Lt. Commander
Basically, I'm wondering if it's okay to just create environments for use in roleplay, with only the most basic mission elements allowed to enable entering and exiting the environment.

For example, if I or someone else creates a Vulcan town or a starbase, or any environment using Foundry assets, published it, thus making it available to anyone who would like to use it for their RP group, is that something that would be allowed, even though it wouldn't have a very complex mission attached to it.

I've noticed that there are a few already published, but the 'door' location isn't in the mission notes, which means that these environments are only available to players that know where to find it.

Instead of locking it off to those in the "know", what if we were to have a system that marks environments as "RP" in the mission title.

Seems to me that the Foundry is for everyone who wants to use it, so there's no need to gate your creations to anyone.

Generally I wanted to put a feeler out and see how people who are actively using the Foundry feel about such a thing.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't be okay personally. Marking it as an rp room is very important, though you will probably expect some low rates for people who don't pay attention.

The only thing I think that would be a problem is that for a group to gain access, I think you need a group, but I'm guessing you had that in mind already.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Couldn't be worse than all the "Only for the Use of [fleet]" and "Ad for [fleet]" missions already popping up. :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2011, 05:47 PM
This sounds like a pretty cool idea, and I've been fooling around with stuff myself for this purpose. (Total newb at it though.) I'd say just make sure you label it as such, possibly even putting something in the "mission" title, like "RP Set - Vulcan Town" or something similar, along with the explanation in the description that there's no mission content, just an area for the purposes of RP. And like you said, make sure people know where the door is.

Would also be nice if you could include a short description of the area. For instance if you're making a Vulcan town, how big is it? City-sized or village? Day or night? Populated or empty? Stuff like that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenaut
Basically, I'm wondering if it's okay to just create environments for use in roleplay, with only the most basic mission elements allowed to enable entering and exiting the environment.
Yes, that is fine. And I agree, people should always give the entry system for their missions, even if they are RP locations only.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Yes, that is fine. And I agree, people should always give the entry system for their missions, even if they are RP locations only.
I agree and fully intend to make any environments available for everyone to use, as that seems exactly what the Foundry was intended for.

thanks for the feedback. I'd like to get a bit more, specifically pertaining to if there is any prefix system already in discussion amongst the Foundry users already (I dug around a bit on the forums but couldn't find anything specific).

For example, is there a system that everyone would prefer to classify missions?

RPE = Roleplay environment only
RPM = Roleplay centric missions.
TOS = Original Series set missions.
TMP = The Motion Picture era set missions.
WOK = Wrath of Khan era set missions.

Etc.
I don't know if it's been discussed yet, so please feel free to link me to the appropriate threads.

Thanks.