Lt. Commander
# 1 To Klingon or not to Klingon
04-02-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm outlining a one-off Klingon mission. But I have a question for you Klingon players. Would you like some of the text to actually be in Klingon or English only?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I personally like a lil klingon flavor in my text and have some in my missions, but , you have to be careful if you do. A lot won't understand it, and most probably don't care. If you decide to put some in, keep it to the common stuff... the occasional Qapla' and PetaQ work well. I've thrown in more but I'll put a translation in parenthesis next to them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
yeah, agreed. a little for the big words that most trekkies would know, but beyond that, you might have people scratching their heads.

unless you're doing a mission where the ut breaks down.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Well, I had the thought of doing all text in Klingon, but then to put the English translation as orange Out of Character text.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Well, I had the thought of doing all text in Klingon, but then to put the English translation as orange Out of Character text.
Hmm.. this somehow reminds me of this one enterprise episode where they try to fool a klingon ship out of sensor range that they are klingons and where worried that the univeral translator might mess up. It didnt and they had a fluid english dialouge which ended with Qapla'

Just saying, my english is my klingon when playing a klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I created a Klingon mission and used some generic Klingon phrases. I tried to keep it that way as not to take away from the story itself.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Personally, I cant see the need to expend effort in making a large chunk or even all the text Klingonese, then put english as out-of-mission text. In fact, i would say that doing this will remind the player that he or she actually speaks english (or other earth language), and is not really a klingon who is fluent in Klingonese, leading to immersion-break.

Although, id have to play and read such a thing to be sure :p

I'll just say, even though i'll be one of the hardcore who'd try and read and take in all the klingonese text, im sure most people would ignore it entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Use klingon in the periphery of your mission:
  • Have random NPC groups using it under their Behavior->Chat information.
  • Use it for minor words (like "qapla!") where the meaning is easily deduced by the previous or following passages.

You can try playing my mission "Shine a Light" for Klingon players as I followed these self-imposed guidelines myself.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Another thing to remeber with klingon mission is you have more races to play with with very little backstory, one of the best things about KDF mission making is
how much more freedom you have, and that means less downtime repeating common Starfleet phrases like "make it so" and "energize" to suspend disbelief.

I love the much looser power structure and how much more independant the individual Captain can be without elaborate backstory and gimmics.

I would suggest putting in as much Klingon as you damn well please, die hard Klinks will love it, and the rest will just be happy not grinding repeated missions from six months ago!

Look forward to playing what you come up with!