Lt. Commander
# 1 Conflict of EULA or not?
04-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, right now I'm working on two Foundry Missions that connect to canon and not sure if they are allowed by the EULA or not.

The First is a fleshed out version of Kor's Holosuit program "The Battle of Klach D'Kel Brakt", which I intend for Klingon players. Where we participate in the Battle of Klach D'Kel Brakt. (Since Kor was leading the mission, I understand that I cannot use a physical appearance, but can reference him.)

My Second is a parallel telling from the TNG Episode "The Inner Light", where we encounter a second Kataan probe and you relive the memories of the creator of the probes.

Now the question is, are these allowed by the EULA or not?

Dev Team, since the EULA is kind of in legalize, think you can make a sticky of cans and cannots? Would be great if you did.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2011, 12:11 PM
You can use any canon event but you cannot use any canon characters (reference is fine; looks are not).

My two slips says you are okay on the first one. In reality, you are only referencing a canon event since the battle was not seen.

The second one is a little trickier. Be careful to not plagerize The Inner Light. But if your story is unique, again, I think you will be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2011, 12:15 PM
as far as i understand it you can mention Kor somewhere in the mission but in no way have him appear. cbs own the character of kor. they dont own anything to do with the actor. the battle itself is part of star trek in the same way the borg are or wolf 359 is etc. its part of the show and we have the rights to draw upon that.

Same with the Inner light probe. Its part of star trek, so as long as you dont re-create the episode word for word like a carbon copy but just grow the storyline then thats no problem. ie dont have that person relive the exact same life picard led. make it another person who also helped build the probe.

now if either of these had been from a book or a comic then you really cant reference them as that work is not held by cryptic itself.

as its from the show you're basically fine.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Mention but not show actors/characters.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Appricate the feedback.

As long as I don't show Kor or have the script exactly like the episode. Gotcha.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Appricate the feedback.

As long as I don't show Kor or have the script exactly like the episode. Gotcha.
Pretty much.