Lt. Commander
# 1 Thank You to OrganizedPVP
04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
So I dropped in today to get in some PVP, and hooked up with the OrganizedPVP channel, who were kind enough to shepherd me around and talk shop on some of the current skill set-ups, ship builds, and pvp map playstyles. Shout-out to you guys for the team-up!

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that I'm looking at some of the PVP issues that are being talked about right now, like the B'Rel (which I guess has been talked about for a while), the new FAW, space spam, skill point allocation, Sci Team vs. SS, SNB, and so on. (This is kind of a spare time project for me at the moment, because I figured someone should keep an eye on it while the heavy hitters like Cap'nGeko are working on other elements of gameplay.)

At the moment I'm busy learning the ins and outs of PVP in our game by playing it, since there's no substitute for actual, practical experience. So if you see me online next week, hop in and blow me up!

Now, the stock boilerplate disclaimer: This doesn't mean that I'll fix all of your ills, rebalance everything in a week and deliver the Holy Grail of PVP content. What I will try to do is keep an ear and an eye to things that are working poorly or disrupting the play experience, and either address them or bring them to the attention of the systems guys who can make decisions about how to proceed with them. (My time will still primarily be spent on content-related work like mission building, so this may be a process that is not instantaneous.)

So, I'm just getting that out there; I'll be catching up on a bunch of the threads here and talking to people in play to take notes and get a better handle on the pulse of what's going on. Note that systems folks like Cap'nGeko DO also read these forums and consider your comments, but not every dev is a prolific poster.

And yes, I'll be PVPing with a Klink character as well.

See ya in the queues!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Awesome to see a Dev respond in the pvp forums!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2011, 08:44 PM
*Picks up his coconuts, and motions to the other knights*

Come Good sirs! There be no Grail here!

In all seriousness, thanks for taking some time to look at it. Its nice to see some devs get into the nitty gritty of it all, and get a little blow'd up.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Bear with me, I'm on Vicodin right now;

Much to my surprise, when I logged into my fleet ventrilo I found Aytanhi and Hurley Bird (and a few others, sorry if I forgot) talking with JHienig. Now, granted, I've been away from the game for a pretty long time (and I mean it) but a lot of what was said was pretty down to earth and honest. I got to hear multiple people speaking their opinions and offering their suggestions, and Hienig even played a game with @miogaruna during the conversation.

I'll just leave this here because I feel we addressed it, but not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas
Fun Fails to Exceed Anti-Fun
Anti-fun is the negative experience your opponents feel when you do something that prevents them from 'playing their game' or doing activities they consider fun. While everything useful you can do as a player is likely to cause SOME anti-fun in your opponents, it only becomes a design issue when the 'anti-fun' created on your use of a mechanic is greater than your fun in using the mechanic. Dark Binding is VERY favorable on this measurement, because opponents get clutch dodges just like you get clutch hits, so it might actually create fun on both sides, instead of fun on one and weak anti-fun on another. On the other hand, a strong mana burn is NOT desirable -- if you drain someone to 0 you feel kinda good, and they feel TERRIBLE -- so the anti-fun is exceeded by the fun. This is important because the goal of the game is for players to have fun, so designers should seek abilities that result in a net increase of fun in the game. Basic design theory, yes?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2011, 09:27 PM
I saw him and was surprised to see another Dev interacting with the PvP community.

I do think Hurley and Aytanhi are 2 very good ppl to be able to speak to and hope more is learned from actual game experience than theory-crafting.

P.S. Glad to see faith is stilla round..been a while man.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2011, 10:17 PM
@JHeinig, It is nice to know someone at Cryptic has taken a visible interest. WE do not ask for much, but what we do ask for is significant to STO. I'm sure, as you become ever more immersed in PvP play over next few weeks, you will come to see some of the problems we see AND understand them from a PvP perspective.

Thank you for providing us an opportunity to educate you about our concerns rather than just yelling about them. There are good people in OPvP; many I look up to. I look forward to having you in my sights and covering my six.

@Faithborne, Nice to see you still trolling the forums. Personally, I wished I could have encountered you more before you left. Hopefully, I might see you in my sights as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-02-2011, 10:39 PM
why can't a dev who actually pvp before do it? To teach you or to try to is a waste, because pandering to the loudest whiners is what we will get. or the so called elites.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
At the moment I'm busy learning the ins and outs of PVP in our game by playing it, since there's no substitute for actual, practical experience. So if you see me online next week, hop in and blow me up!
Sounds good and all...but I got's just one question....if we do end up in a pvp with you...and we make you go kaboom....do we get a special accolade like "I kill dev in pvp" or "I killed a Q" accolade?

Just wonderin
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceaddict View Post
@Faithborn, Nice to see you still trolling the forums. Personally, I wished I could have encountered you more before you left. Hopefully, I might see you in my sights as well.
I've had my fleet keep me informed about STO. Some want me to come back, others are also branching out into other games. Whether or not I resubscribe is in the Magic 8 ball.

Also, if you ever want to chat - figure out the TSI ventrilo information. I'm usually on it at least once a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
why can't a dev who actually pvp before do it? To teach you or to try to is a waste, because pandering to the loudest whiners is what we will get. or the so called elites.
Everyone has the potential to be educated and informed. Only those that give up the quest can truly be called ignorant.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
If you have another dev in mind who plays PVP and can help out, then hey, more help is better.