Lt. Commander
# 1 Revisiting maps in a mission
04-03-2011, 12:09 PM
In the course of creating my epic Foundry masterpiece I've run up against the 10 map limit. Several of the map changes in my mission involve going back to previous locations to accomplish new tasks, so I thought I could economize on my map count by reusing some of the maps.

Unfortunately, as soon as I try placing mission objectives from two different parts in the story onto the same map the whole thing breaks down. Either completing the first part of the objectives leads directly to the second part (bypassing the mission objectives on the other maps in between), or the mission skips directly to the last objective and ignores everything right off.

Is there any possible way to revisit maps or are we stuck with using duplicates of the maps each time we want to send the players back to them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately, we cant go back to existing maps, only make copies of them and make it seem to the player that they've gone back. Or as you say, we're stuck with using duplicates each time we send players back.

The only suggestion i can make is, assuming you're using a custom map, try to fake transitions by using triggers to remove and replace walls and other objects in the player's vicinity once he/she reaches a particular part of your mission, or otherwise make it seem you changed maps without actually going through a transition. Although this requires quite alot of work.

Maybe someone else will have better suggestions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately adding and removing objects won't work in this particular case, and without some kind of 'fade to black' effect I think it would be jarring and distracting even in the best of circumstances.

The only other thing which would help me would be figuring out a way to move the player from one area of a map to another without requiring them to manually walk there but I haven't been able to figure out a way to make that work either. If it's possible to, say, have the players sent to Spawn Point #2 on the same map after completing Objective Y, even if there's a loading screen in the transition, that could do the trick too.