Lt. Commander
For feedback purposes, can you publish unpolished or unfinished missions? Or is that frowned upon? I just completed a skeleton of my first mission and it would be nice to have someone try it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Exactly how "unfinished" is it?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2011, 10:35 AM
The story is complete, but I will add more detail to maps such as random npcs on ds9, etc. Right now, it's completable, but the details aren't complete.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Or, is there a way to share missions without publishing?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-03-2011, 10:47 AM
you can write in the description it is unfinished so that way people know. if you explain very clearly its just for testing or looking for feedback then people will understand. although there is no guarantee that people will play it and you run the risk of people giving it poor marks anyway. those scores cant be taken off, even after editing and republishing so those scores stay with the mission forever unless you make it again from scratch

just something to keep in mind.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Hmm...so, you can't change the mission and republish as a new mission.

You can't even copy it somehow into a new file and republish later?

And no way to privately show someone else without giving account info?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
you can write in the description it is unfinished so that way people know. if you explain very clearly its just for testing or looking for feedback then people will understand. although there is no guarantee that people will play it and you run the risk of people giving it poor marks anyway.
This.

Unfortunately sometimes the Foundry bugs out so even with playing maps or playing missions within the editor it doesn't show you everything. Only published content allows you to do that, including trying it out with characters that have real equipment (really hate that part of the Foundry right now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
Hmm...so, you can't change the mission and republish as a new mission.

You can't even copy it somehow into a new file and republish later?

And no way to privately show someone else without giving account info?
1. You can via importing projects.
2. See #1.
3. No, currently you cannot.

I think if they allow for the import of your real characters into Foundry and fix what seems to be bugs when playing maps or missions within the Foundry it'll go a long way to address these types of issues.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I think it'd be nice to have a 'beta' publishing area. People could publish their missions as betas, so other players could help debug them. Then, once it's complete, it could be published to the regular mission list.

That would be handy if the mission was a fleet project, or getting help debugging, or if someone just wanted some opinions to see if it's worth finishing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphoner
This.

Unfortunately sometimes the Foundry bugs out so even with playing maps or playing missions within the editor it doesn't show you everything. Only published content allows you to do that, including trying it out with characters that have real equipment (really hate that part of the Foundry right now).

1. You can via importing projects.
2. See #1.
3. No, currently you cannot.

I think if they allow for the import of your real characters into Foundry and fix what seems to be bugs when playing maps or missions within the Foundry it'll go a long way to address these types of issues.
Importing projects isn't a perfect solution. In order to keep the same set of NPC costumes and maps across a series of missions, I tried to import the 2nd mission I made so that I could start a third. However, no matter how many times I imported it, the last map (The only map I wanted from that, I might add) got deleted. There seems to be some sort of limit to how much you can import, but I wasn't anywhere near the cap on maps so I have no idea why it would be like that.

Point being that if your mission is long and complex, importing might not be an option.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-04-2011, 09:12 AM
If I publish a mission...then go back and make changes, then republish, does it modify the already published mission, or does it create a new instance of it?