Lt. Commander
# 11
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
If I publish a mission...then go back and make changes, then republish, does it modify the already published mission, or does it create a new instance of it?
it modifies the existing mission. I do it frequently to polish up my already published missions. I'll usually make minor tweaks to mob levels, and such, but the main story hasn't changed at all since I pushed it out originally. I'd say if you have a decent mission put it out there if you think it's good in your eyes. There will always be room for improvement down the road.

Typically I'll put together a mission until I think it's finished, then leave it out there for a week, have some friends play it and provide feedback, and i'll play it through on several toons. After that week i'll take a deep look at what is there, fix or adjust a few things, then push it back out, make a trailer, pop it up on the STO Wiki.. things like that.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I have published an unfinished mission but in the description I just put "ONLY HERE FOR TESTING, DO NOT PLAY PLEASE". If they want to play something horribly unfinished that is their perogative :-)

That being said, you have to do this because the play test in the editor does NOT match up with what you see in the real game - not only from not having gear/equipment/leveled ship etc, but also the engine itself doesn't do triggers or scripting the same way in my (limited) experience.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
If I publish a mission...then go back and make changes, then republish, does it modify the already published mission, or does it create a new instance of it?
it will overwrite the mission already there. however Im unsure if someone has already taken the mission or half way through it what happens.

i believe if you accept the mission and dont play it, then the author modifies and republishes it, unless the player drops it and retakes the new version he will be playing the original version. i think.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Can you play and rate your own published missions and how long does it take for a mission published to go live online !?
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord_Set View Post
Can you play and rate your own published missions and how long does it take for a mission published to go live online !?
You can play, but you cannot rate. That's how they are preventing exploitation (to a degree; they assume you aren't going on everyone else's missions and rating them a one). Availability is dependent on server load at the time you publish it. I do most of my tweaking in the morning CDT, and they usually take 9 minutes to publish and they are live by the time I log-in with my main character in order to check it. The best way to tell if fixes are going up on time is to put the version number at the bottom of the summary. That way as soon as version 1.3 publishes, you can go on and see if "Version 1.3" is at the bottom of the summary.

OP-
You can publish whatever you like. Here are some things to consider:
  • If people give it a one for being incomplete, even if you make it the toast of Foundry their vote stays a one. Changing their vote would require another play through and they are less likely to play through something they already voted a one.
  • It's never done. I've had mine up their since last week and I'm still making changes to it. So don't wait until it is perfect, but be positive it'll be playable and enjoyable.
  • You CANNOT find all the bugs yourself. People of different play styles than you will find mistakes you didn't think of. Reviewers are mostly good enough to point out your weak points.

If you want my two slips, I would say wait until the project is finished. That means your story has been written and your objectives are all locked in. Wait about two hours and then play through it from front to back in play test and make note of all the typos (they are there). Fix the typos and then publish it.

After you publish it, log on with your characters and play though the mission making notes of things that need to be fixed. A mob that you can take out in a good three minute battle with your tactical officer may take ten minutes with your science officer. Playing through them with multiple characters can give you an idea of how the average player sees it. Plus it'll help you shore up the weak spots. I tweaked my mission 10 times in the first two days.

Take criticism with an open mind and don't get too down. I had one that said the text made it seem like the BOffs were holding the Captain's hand throughout the mission (when I thought a little pithy dialogue would add some substance). I finally decided he was right and went back and redid my text so that the dialogue was more "Bridge Officer" and less "Preschool Teacher." Most reviewers will give you the benefit of the doubt and rate it like they truly enjoyed it and then tell you what you should fix.

But you are also going to get negative criticism as well. What you need to look at is the average rating. If it is 3.5 stars or higher, then you have a pretty decent mission. If it is less than that, then you should revisit it. My first mission is averaging roughly four stars and it doesn't represent the true extent of my skills. As long as you tell a compelling story and have all the mechanics working, your mission will be a success. It's doesn't have to be a recreation of "The Vault" to get a good score. It just has to be fun.

Hope that wall of text helps.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-05-2011, 03:53 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll ask here. I published my mission last night. So, how do I get people to test it? I would think starting a new "try my mission" thread would be frowned upon. I might make a trailer but I would need to learn fraps. But in the meantime, is there an acceptable place to ask people to try it out?

I am open to criticism, I just wish people would talk to you before giving you 1 star because of a grammar mistake. But this is my first so I have no idea what's going to happen.

Thanks for the info!
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-05-2011, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
People can only vote once. If they give it a one for being incomplete, even if you make it the toast of Foundry their vote stays a one.
However, you can change your vote. So if people decide to give your mission another go, they can change their first review.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord_Set View Post
You can actually watch the publish progress. Mine took 5 minutes from hitting publish to go "live" because there was no queue at the time. It will show up at the top in a progress bar that updates in the foundry editor once you hit publish assuming that there is not a large number of missions being published at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-05-2011, 05:07 AM
It would be nice if you made changes to a mission and republished it that it would reset reviews so that they are reviewing the "current version" instead of leaving old ones. I'm sure that could be abused I guess but that is how iPhone Apps work for example.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulgor View Post
However, you can change your vote. So if people decide to give your mission another go, they can change their first review.
I was unaware of that. So people can change it only after they play it again?