Lt. Commander
# 1 Various questions!
04-03-2011, 07:52 PM
(1) I am wondering if you can designate a character to be played in a mission or maybe various characters. A one-off type of mission. Or do the missions have to be played by the person's own captain... just no way around it?

(2) I will throw out an example for the next question. I am flying around in my starship and then transition into my interior. Talk to my crew about an away mission. Walk around the ship to the shuttle bay. Walk to the back of a runabout to "activate" it and then transition to space in the runabout.
==> [Basically can i swap ships without heading to a Ship officer NPC. Can i force a ship to be used in a transition?]

(3) And i would like to use derelict and unpowered Tier 4-5 ships. This is an asset problem and they just don't exist yet?

I thank you for any input you can give. I am usually a tinkerer,
but with STO i have a little bit of time and that is concentrated on ideas
and makeshift "storyboards"(having 7-8 notepads open on my desktop) at the moment.

Will be reading/watching the tutorials out there, but wanted to know the limitations that may affect any ideas.

Cheers!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimar
(1) I am wondering if you can designate a character to be played in a mission or maybe various characters. A one-off type of mission. Or do the missions have to be played by the person's own captain... just no way around it?[/color]
No, the player will only play as his own captain, as it is with all of Cryptic's current missions.

Quote:
(1) I will throw out an example for the next question. I am flying around in my starship and then transition into my interior. Talk to my crew about an away mission. Walk around the ship to the shuttle bay. Walk to the back of a runabout to "activate" it and then transition to space in the runabout.
==> [Basically can i swap ships without heading to a Ship officer NPC. Can i force a ship to be used in a transition?]
[/color]
Again, no. Not all players will have a shuttle, or necessarily any other type of ship you'd want them to "use". The best you could do is in the mission text, tell players to use a shuttle (though there's no way of "forcing" them to use one)

Quote:
(1) And i would like to use derelict and unpowered Tier 4-5 ships. This is an asset problem and they just don't exist yet?[/color]
Not sure about this one. I thought all of the ships in the game were available as NPCs. I haven't looked at the full asset list, yet, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find the ship you wanted to simply use as a motionless "NPC" floating in space.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks a bunch for the replies. Looking like one heck of a challenge to make things work!

I will practice with foundry as much as i can. Maybe some future updates will have more avenues for players to work with.

Oh and my last question was mainly having those ships "unlit". I have played around with it but didnt see the effect i wanted. Or a variant would be "intermittent power failure/damaged power systems". Example is the Galaxy Class' blue warp nacelles flickering on and off. That is all for the dramatic effect.

I am probably asking too much, but might just post this in the asset request thread and who knows!