Lt. Commander
I found myself in an interesting position last night. I played a new 5 star rated mission. Two people (same fleet) had ran and rated it highly. It was titled as a fleet training mission. So I bit and ran it.

It quickly became obvious to me that it was nothing more then a Borg zerg fest to get your accolades filled out. It did have a small amount of jumping... and did start in an empty holodeck. But quickly I noticed that the few prompts where Talk to NPC, etc.

So I rated it at 2 stars and put in a comment that I felt it was there to earn accolades and was not that good.

Then it dawned on me.... did I just commit UGC Hari-Kari! I mean, did I offend a group of people whom are now going to trash my UGC episodes out of spite? So in a nutshell, if people are afraid to review do to retribution, will they by default just give 3 stars as a low score? Does this mean that 3 star missions are junk?

Now, I'm not saying I have had my mission reviews trashed at this time, but I'd be curious of your opinion. With no method of feedback for a bad review or way to challenge a bad review, is fear going to inhibit the quality of reviews?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Short answer: yes. It's a long standing, internet tradition. Anyone who has ever used eBay is well aware of the retaliatory nature of the feedback system. Not much that can be done about it unless you can change human nature.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2011, 10:11 AM
There are some valid points in your post and it is possible someone is just out to trash the rating of missions but I guess the only mitigation (real) you have is that person would have to play your whole mission in order to rate it. If someone is really that vengeful as to go through your ~30 minute mission and rate it low, then I'd say they have bigger problems than with you giving their mission a low score.

It's always a law of averages anyway. If the mission is good enough, enough people will rate it appropriately and as a player I don't look at whether a mission has 1 or 3 low scores it's how it's doing overall.

Having a whole fleet or group of friends waste ~30 minutes on my mission just so they can low ball it...? Hopefully there's not enough people with that kind of mindset to affect any missions on Holo.

I've seen my share of not so good reviews and if the player is honestly trying to improve himself in mission creation some of these negative reviews are welcome.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
If someone is running accolade zerg fests for an easy accolade, why would they go through the trouble of stalking you to give you low ratings, which would require them to play real missions? :-)

Seriously, though, if you think there's a problem emerging or retaliatory feedback, the best thing to do would be to file a ticket for harassment.

My general attitude is that people may judge me by the reviews I post. So I try to be constructive, helpful, and positive. If I give a two star, it's because I think it needs work and I'll let them know why. (Haven't had any yet.)

If I suspected someone is cheating the system somehow, I wouldn't leave a public review. Instead, I'd report it for a EULA violation and not leave any public review.

IMHO, a one or two star rating means the mission needs improvement. If the mission flat out shouldn't exist for some compelling reason, it doesn't matter what the review of it says. I would rather deal with it privately by submitting a ticket to a Cryptic employee who can decide if it's somehow abusive.

IMHO, stars are all about quality, about making something improve. If I give a mission one or two stars, I'd love nothing more than for it to get revised into a five star mission. If it's, fundamentally, not a mission, I'd report it. Or by all means, leave your one or two star but note that you'd like for it to have a story behind it as constructive feedback.

Lt. Commander
# 5
04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphoner
If someone is really that vengeful as to go through your ~30 minute mission and rate it low, then I'd say they have bigger problems than with you giving their mission a low score.
Actually, that's not the way it works. Currently, you can pick up a mission, drop it immediately and get the ratings prompt. So it only takes about 15 seconds of your time to wreak vengeance.

Perhaps it's a bug but there are valid reasons to let someone review a mission without finishing (ie, the mission cannot be completed due to a bug). My suggestion would be to allow written reviews to be posted as the system currently works but only let the reviewer rate the mission with stars after the final objective has been completed. But even that won't totally stop retaliatory reviews and there are probably technical issues with the Foundry that would make this difficult, or even impossible, to implement.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphoner
Having a whole fleet or group of friends waste ~30 minutes on my mission just so they can low ball it...? Hopefully there's not enough people with that kind of mindset to affect any missions on Holo.

I've seen my share of not so good reviews and if the player is honestly trying to improve himself in mission creation some of these negative reviews are welcome.
I think you're right that there aren't many people who are vindictive enough to play through an entire potentially long mission just for some sort of petty revenge, much less all of your missions.

However, I think I speak for a lot of us that for the most part, low ratings are not providing any useful feedback. When I look at the ratings, I see 5 stars that will say "I liked X and Y, good combat/diplomacy/etc." The positive reviews almost always say exactly what the reviewer liked about it. Negative reviews either say "Could not finish the mission" (Due to a bug beyond the author's control, most likely) or worse, nothing. So at least for me, I've been completely ignoring low ratings unless they have an explanation that's very detailed.

Can a vindictive person write a believably detailed negative review? I doubt it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
For grins, visit this website (NSFW). It's where App developers make fun of the more "unhelpful" reviews they receive.

But as long as you don't put a comment, I think the author can't see your name. One of my missions has more than 50 reviews and I know for a fact I don't have that many comments.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Started reviewing as of today and played a few well nots so good. I've desided i'ma call them like i see them and if i get back flame so be it. I'm not about to say something is good when its is not. Now i'm also making it a point of only doing mission that are new and have only one or none tests. So i know i'm digging the bottom but i feel that they need to be played and get an honest veiw about it since that is what i hope will be done with mine.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Honestly, I dont pay much attention to the ratings. The first thing I look at is the name of the mission. If it sounds interesting, then I read the mission journal. If it is well written and fairly original, I play it. If it is poorly worded and sounds "off"(as in, not the way people talk in Trek with words like "cool" or things that sound wrong for the faction) then I dont. And for the most part, missions that have well written mission journal text turn out to be good missions because the authors care about telling a good story.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
this is a topic that needs dev input sooner rather than later.

the problem isnt rating, it's tagging and categories.

the review window needs another part.

first you are asked to tag the mission with a keyword.

then you are asked to rate it.

when players go to search for a mission, they should have a list of keywords categories, maybe if enough missions get a grind tag then it generates a grind category.

we need something like this ASAP before issues like extra slots start coming up.
if we do this now, then the tools for dealing with exploits, storage and new players ease of use will be easier to handle.

the rating system isn't the problem, its a symptom of the real problem, a sparse categorizing system.